Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stolen in 2009

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Soooooo........

First off, sorry for not updating this in so long, but i was so mad with what happened.

Got the car back. It is a red 1990 BMW 316. It was in fairly poor condition when it was taken and as everybody knows it wasn't insured.

It turns out that the management company of the apartment block where the car was had it taken away. (If the mods will let me name him then i will) He apparently left a note on the window and called into every apartment to find out who owned the car. This is utter bullcrap as this man knew the car belonged to me. I had a run in with him years before in relation to an apartment i rented. This man also denied all knowledge of the car when i went to him and asked him about it after it was taken.

The car was then left in a mechanics yard for a year and a half. This mechanic (who in my opinion and the investigating gards is a pure pieball prick) sold the car to some one over a year ago, who spent that time doing up the body work and other things.

When the garda found the car he contacted me and told me it was up on bricks in some ones back garden and to go and talk to the chap and try to arrange for him to buy it off me and let him keep and transfer they ownership to him. Just to note the guy who bought it was unsuspecting and didn't do anything wrong.

I went to this mans house on the other side of carlow and had a look at the car we agreed that he would give me €600 and the wheels that were on it.

He rang the pieball mechanic he bought it off, who told him he would give him the money back and he could give it to me. I then went out to see this mechanic and things started to turn sour. He told me that he would have to get the money off of the management company before he gave it to me.

The next day I was told that they were charging me €600 for having the car lifted and storing it for nearly 2 years.

I rang the garda who investigated it and he advised me to get a truck and take it away.

At this point i rang a guy with a tow truck and went up to the guy who bought it's house to take it away. He was nay happy but i told him garda would come up if he didn't let me take it. In the end i left it with him for a day so that he could take some things out of it, like the exhaust and other things. ( I only did this because he was a friend of a friend) Next day went up and got my car back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83336448@N05/8050629693/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83336448@N05/8050632515/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83336448@N05/8050626207/in/photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

So, was the Friend of a Friend out of pocket i.e. had he paid the piebald mechanic for the car in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done on getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Is that back in the parking space it originally went missing from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Do you not have a case against the management company for steeling your car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Has it been resprayed? The red looks too good for a car thats been sitting around for a few years. Glad you have it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Glad you got your car back OP.
    Can't help but feel sorry for the unsuspecting chap that got stiffed- is there any sign of him going after the mechanic that sold him the stolen vehicle, and maybe in turn the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

That is fairly shocking stuff from the management company. Cheeky pricks looking for money off you after they stole your car.
    The lad who was doing up the car I feel sorry for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

So why did the management company take your car from your parking spot in the first place?

How long did they say the note was on the car that it was going to be towed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Management company should at a minimum be made liable for at least 3 years depreciation on the car if they didnt have the right to remove it

So, was the Friend of a Friend out of pocket i.e. had he paid the piebald mechanic for the car in the first place?

Yes, out by the €600 he paid for it and over a €1000 he put into the car
    Well done on getting it back.

Thanks
    Is that back in the parking space it originally went missing from?

No living somewhere else now and i've a great relationship with the building manager.
    robbie1977 wrote: »
    Do you not have a case against the management company for steeling your car?

No, because it was so long ago there is no way to prove that he didn't try and find out who owned it. also i've no proof that I went and asked him about it. He told the Garda that he didn't know me and that no one ever went near him about the car. The Garda told me that he knew he was lying trough his teeth but nothing would ever come of it.
    renofan wrote: »
    Has it been resprayed? The red looks too good for a car thats been sitting around for a few years. Glad you have it back.

It has. There was quite a bit of rust around the bodywork but it is all cleaned up now. I did thank him for that.
    BigEejit wrote: »
    So why did the management company take your car from your parking spot in the first place?

How long did they say the note was on the car that it was going to be towed?

I moved out of that apartment just shy of two months before it was taken and (lets call the management company guy ray) ray knew this so he had it taken away. he told the garda that he left a note on the car for four weeks which is lyes. But i also had the permission of my previous landlord to leave it there. Plus everyone in the building knew me and knew it was my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

So in the end, you have it back in better nick. Poor guy who bought it off the pieball.

goz83 wrote: »
    So in the end, you have it back in better nick. Poor guy who bought it off the pieball.

Yes, I do kinda feel sorry for him but it is my car.

It still needs a bit of work to get it back on the road, nothing too major but when i find the time i'll start on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

goz83 wrote: »
    He wo'nt buy a cheap motor again that has no paperwork!
    Good to here the outcome for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Fair play.

You must be one in a million who has a car nicked, and returned in better condition than it left in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did the guy not wonder about the lack of paperwaork at some stage in the year he had it and while he was doing the work. Presumably he was doing it with a view to putting it on the road?

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Did the guy not wonder about the lack of paperwaork at some stage in the year he had it and while he was doing the work. Presumably he was doing it with a view to putting it on the road?

I
    I would think so. At a profit too and maybe with a new identity. If the original paperwork did'nt appear, log books are often advertised on DD openly and thinly veiled as restoration jobs.
    Great to see the OP got the better deal in the end!

I

He did, he even went to a solicitor and got an affidavit and he did a motorcheck thing aswell.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's a kick in the teeth. Reported stolen, and comes back clean from motorcheck?

Glad you got your car back. Did the landlord change between when you moved out and when the car was taken? Bit odd to leave a car where you no longer lived.

Guy sounds like he was certainly doing you over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Reported stolen, and comes back clean from motorcheck?
    It would only show as stolen if an insurance company paid out on it.

Advertisement