Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stolen in 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

If the car was parked on private property, would the OP have been entitled to have gone into a drive say and take back possession or would this be considered trespass ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Trespass involves damage or loss of property or amenity. To walk onto a drive and remove your own car would not involve this so, I'd say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

urbanledge wrote: »
    so what does then?

Possesion is a big factor, however filing a theft report and this not having been resolved means the orignal owner has asserted his right of continued ownership (only my opinion...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

This is wreckin my head! I would have taken the recovery truck from work and landed up to take it back as soon as i figured out where it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm confused. The Gardai spoke to him. So. Did they tell him its stolen and under investigation? That they're in contact with the REAL owner? If so, why can't they impound the car until the investigation is complete.
    Whats to stop the car from being "stolen" from this guys drive in the meantime and going missing for another four years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

So the Guards have been in contact with the person who owns the car and he is now aware.....

My guess is car will disappear in the next few days and he'll say twas stolen.

OP, It's your car.... You paid for it and some scum took it, just go get it back if you know where it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think the Guard is the one who's "not the brightest spark".
    If this were in England the car would have been lifted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

there is too much messing going on with getting the car back.

go get it back. what is anybody going to do to you ?

Man up and go get it.
    I would have gotten it back the day I found out where it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I must admit , I would sitting in the Garda Stn be demanding a senior officer do their job

OP , don't let the Gardai away with this , they are obviously confused because it's not a speeding offence .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

It's really just getting ridiculous at this stage... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have been reading this thread with great interest, looking forward to hearing how this pans out.

Similar sort of story recently in the news

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/web-sleuth-tracks-down-sports-car-stolen-42-years-ago/story-fnd134gw-1226426698416

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

op. if you got your car back yourself what do you think the guards will do ?

nothing !

they won't even get it back when it is stolen.

they don't know what to do because the guy can lie about buying it.

you have being a saint the whole time but they are pushing it way too much now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭pcardin

Have to agree. Very strange and suspicious reaction/action from OP side. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Frynge wrote: »
    2. Car was parked up outside a friends apartment because it wasn't insured and was ment to be a secure car park (evidently it was not)
    How much do you trust the friend? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lads it's very easy to give the old "I wouldn't stand for that" on a message board, it's a lot trickier in real life, when you don't know who the other person is and what might actually (as opposed to theoretically) happen if you rock up to their house and try and drive off a car they think is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I think the OP is playing this correctly, its the system that is letting him down badly, surely the garda station has a lock up it could be kept, its not able to be taxed or insured.

Its easy to say id do this and do that, but the long drawn out process is what it will take.

I hope this will be sorted soon OP and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For all the people claiming "Sure ya have the keys, just walk up and drive it away", have ya not considered that if he has the keys then person who stole the car doesn't so more than likely the locks/ignition have been changed, and the keys the OP has won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

No one knows if the car is drivable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

+ the guy claiming to own it now could look like the ould lad on orange county choppers, in other words a giant bully:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Lets hope the person who has the car isn't a Boardsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Frynge wrote: »
    The Garda are still looking into it, was just on the phone with the detective and he knows the person who apperantly has the car. He reckons he is not the person who stole it, he thinks this person was conned and that he is a bit simple.
    To quote the Garda

This made made me laugh. Has he spoken to him? if he knows him he just needs to ask him where he got it.

Has the detective got back to you yet OP? This is all getting a bit silly now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Op when is the last time you were in touch with the garda you have to keep at them they dont care about your car if you do not keep at them noting will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

corktina wrote: »
    Trespass involves damage or loss of property or amenity. To walk onto a drive and remove your own car would not involve this so, I'd say go for it.

That's not true, trespassing is being on someone's property without their consent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's not true, trespassing is being on someone's property without their consent
    Is this still the case, say if the car was in sight and there was open access? As it doesn't belong to the owner of the land, and has been reported previously as stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

smash wrote: »
    Is this still the case, say if the car was in sight and there was open access? As it doesn't belong to the owner of the land, and has been reported previously as stolen goods.

Technically it would still be trespassing but the chances of any charges arising from it would be very slim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Technically it would still be trespassing but the chances of any charges arising from it would be very slim
    Worth a shot then I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It wouldn't be a criminal matter. Trespassing of that nature is a purely civil matter, the Gardai cannot press any charges because no offence has been committed.
    Trespassing is only a criminal offence if the nature of the trespass is "likely to cause fear in another". So walking into someone's front garden during the day is not criminal. Skulking around their back garden at 4am, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

smash wrote: »
    Worth a shot then I guess.

Worth getting shot?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Going up to the Garda station bout 3pm so hopefully some good news then

Advertisement