Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stolen in 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

hondasam wrote: »

I am aware of this.

Then why did you oppose my comment?

(obviously the vigilante bit was ott but that's a given)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Why would they lie saying they bought the car a year before it was robbed

That particular point really bugs me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Oh my god, this thread has become so boring, op please let us know what happens in the end......

asleep.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Can you tell us what the car is? :)
    Do you think? why would they chance looking for the log book now?

Based on what OP says below, my guess is that we're looking at something 1982 or 1983 which will shortly be vintage and therefore possibly worth a small fortune. As it's looking more and more likely that the person trying to register it at least knows it's robbed (and might even have done the robbing) I can only hope that he's spent the last few years bringing the car back to pristine condition and OP will be presented with a nicely restored classic. (with cheap tax and insurance :D)
    Frynge wrote: »
    Might have something to do with the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

wexie wrote: »
    Can you tell us what the car is? :)
    Do you think? why would they chance looking for the log book now?

Based on what OP says below, my guess is that we're looking at something 1982 or 1983 which will shortly be vintage and therefore possibly worth a small fortune. As it's looking more and more likely that the person trying to register it at least knows it's robbed (and might even have done the robbing) I can only hope that he's spent the last few years bringing the car back to pristine condition and OP will be presented with a nicely restored classic. (with cheap tax and insurance :D)
    Might have something to do with the age of the car.

Yeah or it is a BMW e36 318is...

• Advertisement

you'll all know what it is when i get it back and have pics up

bmstuff wrote: »
    Yeah or it is a BMW e36 318is...

Out of curiosity why do you think it is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Hmmm Early 80s Porshce or else Alfa romeo (Don't ask why, Just a vibe)

Anyway, Ring in Psychic Flathan on TV3 their later and he'll tell ya when you'll get it back :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They did great work with finding the stolen tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Interesting story here on how a guy got his car back after 42 years of it being stolen -

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/man-reclaims-car-stolen-in-1970-3168889.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

OP you seem to be very relaxed about this. I'd be down at his house with a Garda and my car keys today!

The Garda are still looking into it, was just on the phone with the detective and he knows the person who apperantly has the car. He reckons he is not the person who stole it, he thinks this person was conned and that he is a bit simple.
    To quote the Garda
    He isn't the brightest spark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The Garda are still looking into it, was just on the phone with the detective and he knows the person who apperantly has the car. He reckons he is not the person who stole it, he thinks this person was conned and that he is a bit simple.
    To quote the Garda

So that's the reason he claimed to have bought the car a year before it was robbed? Doesn't make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To quote the Garda
    I believe your response should have been "I don't really care how thick he is, I want my car back!"

So that's the reason he claimed to have bought the car a year before it was robbed? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm thinking maybe he bought it in 2010 and not 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm thinking maybe he bought it in 2010 and not 2009

and "forgot" to tax it in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

and "forgot" to tax it in that time

LOL

I think this "fella" might not be as thick as the Garda seems to think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Why hasn't the car been lifted or can you find out where it is ?

I'm pretty sure I know where it is, but I'm leaving the Garda to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm pretty sure I know where it is, but I'm leaving the Garda to deal with it

You intrigue me.

You're clearly a very patient person. How hard is it for the Gardai to visit the current "owner" say, "nice car but its coming with us" and take it away? And why are you being so patient?

• Advertisement

Antares wrote: »
    You intrigue me.

You're clearly a very patient person. How hard is it for the Gardai to visit the current "owner" say, "nice car but its coming with us" and take it away? And why are you being so patient?
    Indeed, my patience would have run out weeks ago.

I would be down the cop shop asking why they have not recovered the car. Then I would be escalating the matter to the superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Frynge , Im amazed at how patient your being about this. I know If it was me the car would have been gone days ago , leaving behind the remains of whatever doors/dogs/people/walls I had to destroy to get to it.

I do have patience, yes.

I know most of the Garda in the local station and I don't want to be annoying them. As I said I'm happy to leave the Garda dealing with it.

Hopefully I'll be putting pictures up in the next few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Not exaclty the story of getting reunited with your car after 42 years :pac: .. What a horrible situation to be in i never knew someone could legally claim your car,how the hell can they do that?They just fucking stole your car..Its basically like stealing something and they saying 'thats mine now'..actually it is the same thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I do have patience, yes.

I know most of the Garda in the local station and I don't want to be annoying them. As I said I'm happy to leave the Garda dealing with it.

Hopefully I'll be putting pictures up in the next few days.

don't leave it too long or it may just disappear again. Solicitor needed i think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

corktina wrote: »
    don't leave it too long or it may just disappear again. Solicitor needed i think

I found solicitors to be useless. It's very hard to find a good one, that actually gets some stuff in motion.

I have a car with a dealer in Donegal, who sold it to me on false pretends. It's fully documented etc. and so far had 2 solicitors on the case. None of them archieved anything but sending bills to me.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Not exaclty the story of getting reunited with your car after 42 years :pac: .. What a horrible situation to be in i never knew someone could legally claim your car,how the hell can they do that?They just fucking stole your car..Its basically like stealing something and they saying 'thats mine now'..actually it is the same thing..

The irish logbook system is quite vague and flawed.

Basically, when you buy a car, you are at the mercy of the seller sending the logbook in or handing it over to you, for you to send in.

If he keeps it and doesn't send it in, you're screwed.

Well, not quite. There is a process, where you fill out a form, that you get at the garda station, you go to a peace officer and declare by oath, that the car is your property, you get the VIN verified at a main dealer. At the peace officer you declare, that you own the car, but the logbook was never transferred in your name. That's the process that has been attempted here.

Now, in a perfect world, the garda and/or the peace officer would require documentation (like a receipt), that you bought the car. But even that can easily be falsified. Essentially, by trying to attempt to get the logbook via this process, you're engaging in a criminal activity, but there is obviously the scenario where you would have bought the car unknowing, that it is stolen.

At least there is the safeguard, where the DoT sends a letter to the previous owner checking, if the car really changed owner.

/M

The log book does not prove ownership and never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement

The log book does not prove ownership and never has.

so what does then?

Advertisement