Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Andrew Conway a kicking option off the tee now too?! :pac:

Pumps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Honest interview, fair play to him for admitting he was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Honest interview, fair play to him for admitting he was wrong

A more cynical person might say that he's doing something similar to last year with the media but coming at it from a different angle, as his place in the team is now under threat in all the positions he plays. I really hope he kicks on this year with Munster and manages to get into the 23 with Ireland. He's some player when he's on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hurk wrote: »
    A more cynical person might say that he's doing something similar to last year with the media but coming at it from a different angle, as his place in the team is now under threat in all the positions he plays. I really hope he kicks on this year with Munster and manages to get into the 23 with Ireland. He's some player when he's on form.

Interesting quote from him re his conversation with Jonny about Joe. It will actually be very interesting to see how he goes under the new coaching team.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Interesting quote from him re his conversation with Jonny about Joe. It will actually be very interesting to see how he goes under the new coaching team.

Ya. He must be worried about his chances. Who knows how Joe views him? Or if he fits into his loose plans? There's no shortage of talent on the wing for Ireland and then you have Olding, Marshall and Cave from Ulster alone in the centres. Earls seems acutely aware that he has to get back to his best if he's to be in with a shot.

Hurk wrote: »
    Ya. He must be worried about his chances. Who knows how Joe views him? Or if he fits into his loose plans? There's no shortage of talent on the wing for Ireland and then you have Olding, Marshall and Cave from Ulster alone in the centres. Earls seems acutely aware that he has to get back to his best if he's to be in with a shot.

Schmidt coming in could very well suit Earls. Sure he was being left out of Irish 23's with Kidney at the end of this season so it's not like he would have wanted the same coach to stay on that

That said, Earls isn't exactly the blueprint Schmidt type winger. But he is a very dangerous player. Himself, Zebo, Bowe and Fitzgerald being the top 4 wingers in the country imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Schmidt coming in could very well suit Earls. Sure he was being left out of Irish 23's with Kidney at the end of this season

?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's impossible to say at this stage how it will pan out for Earls. Ireland is finally developing real depth across a lot of positions and some talented players are going to lose out. But that should bring the best out of all of them, for both province and country.

Tox56 wrote: »
    ?

Six nations, he was fit and left out of at least one of the match day squads wasn't he?

• Advertisement

Schmidt coming in could very well suit Earls. Sure he was being left out of Irish 23's with Kidney at the end of this season so it's not like he would have wanted the same coach to stay on that

That said, Earls isn't exactly the blueprint Schmidt type winger. But he is a very dangerous player. Himself, Zebo, Bowe and Fitzgerald being the top 4 wingers in the country imo

Ya, Kidney couldn't really ignore the emergence of Gilroy (I know he was great the previous season but he didn't get the manic media attention until after the Fiji game).

I'd agree with your top 4 but Fitzgerald has as much as Earls to prove because of his prolonged injuries. Then there's McFadden and Trimble. Trimble was insanely undervalued by Kidney last year. I also think McFadden is a fantastic player. I'm a Munster fan but I loved watching him for Leinster in particular last year. Was delighted for him when he got the hat trick against Canada as well.

It'll be really interesting to see who Joe picks as his wingers in Autumn. Out of curiosity, everyone being fit, who would be your starting wingers for 2013/2014 for Ireland? And who would be your starting 11-14-15 for Munster?

EDIT: Sorry if this is taking it off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Six nations, he was fit and left out of at least one of the match day squads wasn't he?

Nope. He was dropped from the starting XV alright, something that hadn't happened for two years, but he was still in the 23 all the way along I think.

Edit: Yep, three starts and two sub appearances:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/squads/index.php?player=33232&includeref=dynamic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

My only worry about Earls is his fitness. Given a prolonged run, he'll be there or thereabouts in any position he wants/plays in the outside backs. Getting that prolonged run for Munster is the only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Decent attempt by Earls to try to dig himself out of the hole he put himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Decent attempt by Earls to try to dig himself out of the hole he put himself in.

Don't think he really put himself in a hole. He said he wanted to play 13 and when he was fit he did. I think the really interesting thing in this interview is actually what he said about the way the CL and Downey signings affected him, you really would have though someone in management would have given him some reassurance when those signings were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Tonne of Friday matches, three matches not televised, and only two of the games televised on RTE. Fairly shíte.

At least all the Friday games are away games (most of which I couldn't make anyway) bar the Connacht game which is over the holidays.

Don't think he really put himself in a hole. He said he wanted to play 13 and when he was fit he did. I think the really interesting thing in this interview is actually what he said about the way the CL and Downey signings affected him, you really would have though someone in management would have given him some reassurance when those signings were made.

Its a good insight into his thought process too. I think having a young daughter who will look up to him regardless, will go on to help his on-field confidence.

especially given that Earls is the epitomy of a confidence player.

Well I think pretty much demanding that he plays centre then realising that he might not be the best option in big matches there when everyone is fit so could miss out on his game (now with province as well as already doing so internationally) if he didn’t relax his stance is digging himself into a hole. Just because he had games there doesn’t mean coming out saying he only wanted to play centre was the correct choice and the fact he’s had to publicly backtrack says it all.

I’m more surprised someone at Munster didn’t put their arm around him and tell him his skill set is more suited to be a winger (that discussion has been done to death so I’d rather not get into what his best position argument). I'm glad Earls might be opening his eyes as I think he has the potential to be a much better winger than he ever could be centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

What reassurance could they give? That he would be first choice 13? That was never going to happen, Laulala was signed to play.

But fair play to Earls, he comes across well there and I heard an interview with him on Off the Ball last season where he basically said that he only came out with the "I want to play 13" line because his head was melted from people asking him where his best position was and that he was happy enough on the wing or at FB.

• Advertisement

What reassurance could they give? That he would be first choice 13? That was never going to happen, Laulala was signed to play.

But fair play to Earls, he comes across well there and I heard an interview with him on Off the Ball last season where he basically said that he only came out with the "I want to play 13" line because his head was melted from people asking him where his best position was and that he was happy enough on the wing or at FB.

But don't ya know he "threw his toys out of the pram", "demanded to play 13" etc... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well I think pretty much demanding that he plays centre then realising that he might not be the best option in big matches there when everyone is fit so could miss out on his game (now with province as well as already doing so internationally) if he didn’t relax his stance is digging himself into a hole. Just because he had games there doesn’t mean coming out saying he only wanted to play centre was the correct choice and the fact he’s had to publicly backtrack says it all.

I’m more surprised someone at Munster didn’t put their arm around him and tell him his skill set is more suited to be a winger (that discussion has been done to death so I’d rather not get into what his best position argument). I'm glad Earls might be opening his eyes as I think he has the potential to be a much better winger than he ever could be centre.

Demand?
    Earls is prepared to fight for the spot however.
    “I spoke to Rob and let him know the position I prefer and he sees me as a 13 as well. Obviously, though, I’m not going to play every game for Munster just as Casey and James aren’t either. Danny Barnes, Ivan Dinneen and a couple of other lads are there and I’m sure it will be mix and match again like last year. But he knows 13 is my favourite position even if at times we might have to adjust. You can’t be that selfish when it comes to a team and Rob said he’d do his best without promising anything”.

jm08 wrote: »
    Demand?

FYP
    The first day Rob comes, I will be going straight into him and telling him I want to play 13. I don’t want to play on the wing any more. It’s not my position. I don’t enjoy it. I want to improve as a 13. I don’t want to keep mixing and matching.

Since when is telling someone you want to play somewhere the same as demanding to play somewhere ?!

Since when is telling someone you want to play somewhere the same as demanding to play somewhere ?!

Because it was Keith Earls saying it? Much of the country appears to dislike him because he had the audacity of being a young, talented/exciting, player playing 13 in Ireland before BOD had retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Well I think pretty much demanding that he plays centre

You think wrong!
    I don't recall penny or earls saying in any interview that demand was made

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

FYP

Is that a direct quote? No quote marks on it, whereas what I've quoted does.

Here is the link

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2012/08/02/keith-earls-will-fight-for-13-spot/

I'm sorry, the way that's phrased by him in the interview prior to speaking to Penney it is a demand, he's straight stating his plans to go into Penney and say he doesn't want play anywhere but 13, there’s no equivocation like the later interviews where he’s toned it down a bit to say he’ll do what’s best for the team. If want to get strung up on semantics go ahead, it’s still the same ends.
    Because it was Keith Earls saying it? Much of the country appears to dislike him because he had the audacity of being a young, talented/exciting, player playing 13 in Ireland before BOD had retired.

What in the name of BOD does BOD have to do with this? Earls has never once threatened his position for Ireland as he isn’t in the same stratosphere when it comes to talent as a centre.
    jm08 wrote: »
    Is that a direct quote? No quote marks on it, whereas what I've quoted does.

Here is the link

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2012/08/02/keith-earls-will-fight-for-13-spot/

Here is the link, quote marks and all:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/earls-wants-to-be-the-best-centre-in-the-world-1-3820231

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, the way that's phrased by him in the interview prior to speaking to Penney it is a demand, he's straight stating his plans to go into Penney and say he doesn't want play anywhere but 13, there’s no equivocation like the later interviews where he’s toned it down a bit to say he’ll do what’s best for the team. If want to get strung up on semantics go ahead, it’s still the same ends.

Really? You're getting all that from him saying he's going to ask Penny can he play 13 because he doesn't like the wing and feels it's his best position

You're making it out as if he stormed into Pennys office shouting orders. In reality we both know he probably went and asked to be played at 13 and didn't demand anything (btw, we don't actually know because we weren't in there so which scenario do you think is honestly more realistic?)

your use of the word "demand" in this situation is a complete exaggeration

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement