Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Not sure who would keep Earls out of the back 3. Zebo is obviously a guaranteed starter but Conway, LOD? Don't think either would keep Earls out of the side.

Actually as I type I remember GvdH was signed, I don't know anything about him so can't really comment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

danthefan wrote: »
    Not sure who would keep Earls out of the back 3. Zebo is obviously a guaranteed starter but Conway, LOD? Don't think either would keep Earls out of the side.

Actually as I type I remember GvdH was signed, I don't know anything about him so can't really comment there.

VDH is primarily a winger judging by his Super Rugby appearances. A direct replacement for Howlett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

VDH is primarily a winger judging by his Super Rugby appearances. A direct replacement for Howlett.

Well yeah I know he's a winger, but I have no idea how good he is is what I'm saying. I don't know if he's better than Earls or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

danthefan wrote: »
    Well yeah I know he's a winger, but I have no idea how good he is is what I'm saying. I don't know if he's better than Earls or not.

He's not, his speed is blistering, his strike rate not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I would have Earls over any other Munster winger, including Zebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Silly season is almost over, and we've had some fairly awful discussions :P But..... to round off a great silly season, your best Munster team of the last 15 years? (that's my living memory, pretty much so seems like a good cut-off point) Use whatever criteria you want to.

15. Shaun Payne
    14. Dougie Howlett
    13. Rua Tipoki- Wasn't here for long, but he was class, beats out Mullins/Earls
    12. Trevor Halstead- We haven't had too many top class 12s, if Mafi had played like he did in 2009 more often, he might have made out.
    11. Simon Zebo- His most recent form is better than Earls at his best.
    10. Ronan O'Gara
    9. Peter Stringer
    8. Anthony Foley
    7. David Wallace
    6. Alan Quinlan- Choosing between Jim Williams, Quinny, Leamy and POM was not easy, but I loved Quinny.
    5. Paul O'Connell
    4. Mick Galwey- Only slightly ahead of DOC
    3. John Hayes
    2. Keith Wood- Again not there for long, but was a truly class player, beats Fla
    1. Peter Clohessy

16. Jerry Flannery
    17. Marcus Horan
    18. BJ Botha
    19. Donncha O'Callaghan
    20. Denis Leamy
    21. Conor Murray
    22. Paul Warwick
    23. Keith Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

JDV is worth a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    JDV is worth a mention!

No close to Halstead because they took so long to work out how to use him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

.ak wrote: »
    JDV is worth a mention!

Really?! For half a season worth of performance?
    Or are we talking about who is the better player, because Halstead surely had the far bigger impact for Munster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Really?! For half a season worth of performance?
    Or are we talking about who is the better player, because Halstead surely had the far bigger impact for Munster?

Leinster fans arguing about the best Munster players, where's me popcorn?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'd agree in general but I'd have doc ahead of galwey (who I think is one our more overrated liginds)

JdV is/was a class player, but his performances for Munster were never as good as Halstead's.

John Kelly probably deserves a mention, but you couldn't have him ahead of Howlett. Still a very good winger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

No room for Christian Cullen no?.. Injuries and lack of gametime considered, I would still include possibly the greatest fullback the game has ever seen.. Him and the Dougie of a few years ago would have been a sight to see

hype101 wrote: »
    No room for Christian Cullen no?.. Injuries and lack of gametime considered, I would still include possibly the greatest fullback the game has ever seen.. Him and the Dougie of a few years ago would have been a sight to see

Cullen was class, but we only ever saw flashes of what he was capable of for Munster. Payne was hugely consistent, one of our best NIQ signings imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Purely on the basis of Cullens performances for Munster you couldn't have him on a best VX selection. Same with JDV, both class players but didn't play their best with Munster...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah, but's its the best Munster team, not the best players who have played for Munster at some point in their career. Payne would easily be ahead of Cullen in terms of performances for Munster. Cullen was never really able to click with Munster, due to a combination of injuries and being on a different wavelength to the other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Silly season is almost over, and we've had some fairly awful discussions :P But..... to round off a great silly season, your best Munster team of the last 15 years? (that's my living memory, pretty much so seems like a good cut-off point) Use whatever criteria you want to.

15. Shaun Payne
    14. Dougie Howlett
    13. Rua Tipoki- Wasn't here for long, but he was class, beats out Mullins/Earls
    12. Trevor Halstead- We haven't had too many top class 12s, if Mafi had played like he did in 2009 more often, he might have made out.
    11. Simon Zebo- His most recent form is better than Earls at his best.
    10. Ronan O'Gara
    9. Peter Stringer
    8. Anthony Foley
    7. David Wallace
    6. Alan Quinlan- Choosing between Jim Williams, Quinny, Leamy and POM was not easy, but I loved Quinny.
    5. Paul O'Connell
    4. Mick Galwey- Only slightly ahead of DOC
    3. John Hayes
    2. Keith Wood- Again not there for long, but was a truly class player, beats Fla
    1. Peter Clohessy

16. Jerry Flannery
    17. Marcus Horan
    18. BJ Botha
    19. Donncha O'Callaghan
    20. Denis Leamy
    21. Conor Murray
    22. Paul Warwick
    23. Keith Earls

You'd just have to find somewhere for Mafi..ok, he was poor in his last season or so, but some player and gave us great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

John Kelly probably deserves a mention, but you couldn't have him ahead of Howlett. Still a very good winger though.

I'd squeeze him in at 13. He was a class act that lacked that very top gear that the likes of BOD had. Such an intelligent and effective player. Very harsh on Tipoki, who was excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Would have to put John Langford in there too. He was awesome for the duration of his time here.

Others to miss out include Dutchy Holland and Mike Mullins - great players, but overtaken by better players as we built towards 2006.

'Seamus' as captain was an imperious figure on the pitch. I reckon Paulie learned a lot from Langford, Seamus and Axel, and to a lesser extent from Gaillimh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Munster NIQ backline

15. Cullen
    14. Howlett
    13. Topoki
    12. Halstead
    11. Payne (jdv)
    10. Warrick (Payne)
    9. ???? (Warrick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Purely on the basis of Cullens performances for Munster you couldn't have him on a best VX selection. Same with JDV, both class players but didn't play their best with Munster...

Agreed.. I am more pinning for a false history I accept.. Sadly, it never quite worked but still, Christian Cullen played for munster and that's pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Munster13

He may not get close to the best Xv but Anthony Horgan was a great winger for Munster, loved scoring tries, just wanted to mention him as no one else has, or even Ian Dowling, shame he had to get injured but put 100% in every game, may not make best XV either but loved watching them both

Munster13 wrote: »
    He may not get close to the best Xv but Anthony Horgan was a great winger for Munster, loved scoring tries, just wanted to mention him as no one else has, or even Ian Dowling, shame he had to get injured but put 100% in every game, may not make best XV either but loved watching them both

Was a huge fan of both of them. Preferred Horgan to Kelly even, even though Kelly was arguably better. He was a great finisher.

And Dowling...one of the best defensive wingers we've ever had, hugely underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Munster13

Was a huge fan of both of them. Preferred Horgan to Kelly even, even though Kelly was arguably better. He was a great finisher.

And Dowling...one of the best defensive wingers we've ever had, hugely underrated.
    It is such a shame his career ended so early, i think he would still be an awesome player for us now

Eh.. Howlett?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Eh.. Howlett?

"One" of the best he said!

"One" of the best he said!

Exactly (that wording was specifically included because of Howlett)

Wouldn't put Dowling in the same class as Howlett really. His work ethic was great but he did not read the game nearly as well. There's a wide gap between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Wouldn't put Dowling in the same class as Howlett really.

I can't imagine anyone would. Hence why nobody did ↓:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

madness to put dowling in the same class as howlett, my god the blinders are on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement