Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

jm08 wrote: »
    Poor of them to allow Strings who is held in very high regard to be shipped off to Bath.

Stringer's Munster career was all but finished before Penney arrived, he was dropped for TOL in 2008 by a coach who practically had the freedom of Limerick at that point. If Penney dropped ROG for Quins and Keatley struggled he'd face a huge amount of flak. I'm sure he knows Munster havent a hope of winning the HEC either way so why create a load of hassle for yourself. When the HEC is finished then we'll see Keatley starting consistently as they can put it down to looking towards next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

There's a lot anger among Munster fans over the treatment of Stringer. Which goes someway to proving the point that not playing is sometimes the best thing you can do for your reputation

Stringer was very poor for Munster this season before he went to Bath. Now that we have Sheridan we really don't need him back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know if there's a lot of anger about Stringer, I'd like to think that most people know that he wants to be first choice and play every game whereas he's had 2 players ahead of him in the last couple of years (ToL and Murray) and there's a few younger players coming through the academy. It has been 5 years since Stringer has been first choice for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know if there's a lot of anger about Stringer, I'd like to think that most people know that he wants to be first choice and play every game whereas he's had 2 players ahead of him in the last couple of years (ToL and Murray) and there's a few younger players coming through the academy. It has been 5 years since Stringer has been first choice for us.

Check out the MRSC facebook page and MF's!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mourad Boudjellal has confirmed that Castrogiovanni will not be joining Toulon next season, maybe that will re-open the door for their rumoured interest in BJ Botha.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

big changes needed for next season

how about this backline

murray, keatley, conway, hanrahan, earls, lod and zebo at fb, not bad eh

back row of coughlan, pom and one of stander, tod

second row of poc and ryan with nagle as back up

front row of killer, sherry and new tight head if botha goes

i think howlett will go and i think laulala and downey are on 1 year contracts so won't be retained, if wdp and botha go too then plenty of space for niqs, barnes is on his way to newcastle so obviously we could do with a top class centre, a top class th if botha goes and i'd add a quality backrower too, we have a lot of decent 7 out of 10 backrowers like butler, ronan, dougall and doc2 but none of them look top quality thus far

so a bit of a clearout and get three top class players in plus some more opportunities for youngsters and maybe an irish qualified player here and there and we could be back in business, however at best it looks like another season of transition ahead of us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

donfers wrote: »
    i think howlett will go and i think laulala and downey are on 1 year contracts so won't be retained, if wdp and botha go too then plenty of space for niqs, barnes is on his way to newcastle so obviously we could do with a top class centre, a top class th if botha goes and i'd add a quality backrower too, we have a lot of decent 7 out of 10 backrowers like butler, ronan, dougall and doc2 but none of them look top quality thus far
    WDP has another season in contract, Lualala and Downey both are on two year deals

Hadn't heard about Barnes to Newcastle. Good for him if he is. Really needs a chance to play rugby.

Best of luck to Barnes if he is going, I think he is out of contract anyway. Newcastle should be in the Premiership next year so Barnes will be playing a good standard.

We'll all be very bitter when Barnes becomes a star for the All Blacks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Someone on PR is saying as it stands Munster have no main sponsor for next season. Considering finances are apparently shaky as it is this would not be good news.

Note it's internet talk, may not be true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's true.

There was an article in the Sunday Times a while back about the difficulty in attracting sponsors at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

danthefan wrote: »
    Someone on PR is saying as it stands Munster have no main sponsor for next season. Considering finances are apparently shaky as it is this would not be good news.

Contract with Toyota is up at the end of the season, and there has been nothing announced about a renewal or a new partner.

Am a little worried that Munster may be left scrambling for a main sponsor and might have to give a cut price deal like Ulster Bank got with the UBL a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster should just sponsor Munster. Give them a bit of cash and stick "Leinster B" on the front of the jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

donfers wrote: »
    big changes needed for next season
    how about this backline
    murray, keatley, conway, hanrahan, earls, lod and zebo at fb, not bad eh

back row of coughlan, pom and one of stander, tod

second row of poc and ryan with nagle as back up

front row of killer, sherry and new tight head if botha goes

so a bit of a clearout and get three top class players in plus some more opportunities for youngsters and maybe an irish qualified player here and there and we could be back in business, however at best it looks like another season of transition ahead of us
    Nice team but too much bulls**t politics will not see that team happening
    Is Nagle good enough to be subbing on a full strength side as he hasn't done it yet and id have Billy Holland, DOC, POC, DR all ahead of him. Then theres Dave Foley as well.
    danthefan wrote: »
    We don't as of today and ive heard(in the last 2/3 days) we are seriously struggling to get a new sponsor from 2 reliable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

ormond lad wrote: »
    Nice team but too much bulls**t politics will not see that team happening
    Is Nagle good enough to be subbing on a full strength side as he hasn't done it yet and id have Billy Holland, DOC, POC, DR all ahead of him. Then theres Dave Foley as well.

We don't as of today and ive heard(in the last 2/3 days) we are seriously struggling to get a new sponsor from 2 reliable sources.

We need a big win next weekend in the H Cup to keep the club profile in the spotlight. That will help stop the perception that Munster are heading for the doldrums and staying there!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

Serious changes needed alright, haven't seen a result like that for Munster in a long time, the game last night between Leinster and Ulster just makes it more depressing as it was full on, what defence by Ulster!! Its been talked about already here but is it because CJ Stander is not registered for HC that he's not been picked? And if so why hasen't he, madness?? Don't know if the style of play is for Munster, the skill set that the NZ players have just aren't there (who learn it from a young age) i think, maybe give him a few years and he will sort it but he aint gonna get that long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

WDP has another season in contract, Lualala and Downey both are on two year deals

Hadn't heard about Barnes to Newcastle. Good for him if he is. Really needs a chance to play rugby.

I think the days of contracts being set in stone are now over. It's long been rumoured that Du Preez is being shipped out, Laulala could go too. Dougie prob not getting a new contract & only the risen Jesus knows what's happening with Stander. Something is wrong there, homesick, his gf working back home, maybe just not fitting in? I don't think he will be with us next season. Some serious amount of rebuilding for Penney to do next season. Surprised about Barnes, was hoping he would stay, but court case may have affected his concentration & a break of a year or 2 away may help his development.

Current NIQs: du Preez, Botha, Laulala, Howlett, Stander (project)

My dream NIQs: Adam Jones, Lobbe, Carter, Fofana, Eli Walker (project)

Kilcoyne, Sherry, Adam Jones, Ryan, POC, POM, TOD, Lobbe;
    Murray, Carter, Zebo, Fofana, Earls, Walker, Felix Jones

Now there's a team! Someone give Rory McIlroy a ring! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Current NIQs: du Preez, Botha, Laulala, Howlett, Stander (project)

My dream NIQs: Adam Jones, Lobbe, Carter, Fofana, Eli Walker (project)

Kilcoyne, Sherry, Adam Jones, Ryan, POC, POM, TOD, Lobbe;
    Murray, Carter, Zebo, Fofana, Earls, Walker, Felix Jones

Now there's a team! Someone give Rory McIlroy a ring! :p

Dont know why, but something about Carter playing for Munster seems right

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is there any update on Botha?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Am I missing something, I thought the new niq guidelines meant that Botha couldn't be renewed, and couldn't be replaced with an niq tighthead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Am I missing something, I thought the new niq guidelines meant that Botha couldn't be renewed, and couldn't be replaced with an niq tighthead?

Yes, you are right on all counts, but it seems that the NIQ 'guidelines' have been quietly dropped, it's particularly ironic in that they were brought in initially to solve the propping crisis, yet they are now being broken for props...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

the guidelines are flexible if you are not Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Because in an interview with BOD last week he mentioned that leinster were being blocked from signing an niq to b replace him as LLL was with Munster.

But it seems that immediately the rules will be bent for the exact position that they were brougt in to solve when Munster need a player.

Will the other provinces be given any sort of compensation for deals they could have made, but we're prevented from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I'd love to see Declan O Donnell brought into Munster as a project player. He's the ginger New Zealand 7s machine and is only 22.

Munster have a solid team I'd like to see some younger guys getting a longer run especially at munster A level which seems to have some average 25-28 year olds who are never going to make it at the top level.

Matt Giteau looks a solid 10, Ireland have 2 young halves so I would bring in Giteau and lead Hanrahan ply his trade at 12 then in a few seasons time you would hope Hanrahan would move to 10 wit Barnes coming in at 12 once he has developed.

My dream Munster team for next season would be:

Kilcoyne, Sherry, Archer, Ryan, POC, POM, TOD, Butler;
    Murray, Giteau, Zebo, Hanrahan ,O Donnell, Earls , Conway

I would accelerate Barnes and O Dea to the bench as well as Stander.

matTNT wrote: »
    I'd love to see Declan O Donnell brought into Munster as a project player. He's the ginger New Zealand 7s machine and is only 22.

If you play 7s, you are tied to that country for 15s. So Declan O'Donnell can't be a project player.

the guidelines are flexible if you are not Leinster
    Because in an interview with BOD last week he mentioned that leinster were being blocked from signing an niq to b replace him as LLL was with Munster.

But it seems that immediately the rules will be bent for the exact position that they were brougt in to solve when Munster need a player.

Will the other provinces be given any sort of compensation for deals they could have made, but we're prevented from?

Maybe Leinster just aren't "worth it". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Leinster should just sponsor Munster. Give them a bit of cash and stick "Leinster B" on the front of the jersey.

Nice royal blue away jersey, plus the naming rights to thomand park, lets call it the Brian O Driscoll memorial stadium for now

Edit: although that makes it sound like he's dead. BOD Park it is then

Nice royal blue away jersey, plus the naming rights to thomand park, lets call it the Brian O Driscoll memorial stadium for now

It will be called the John Hayes is a Ligind Stadium or I will riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

And yet the ''worse'' team reached the HC qfs while Leinster are in the Amlin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Eod100 wrote: »
    And yet the ''worse'' team reached the HC qfs while Leinster are in the Amlin?

Oh no you didnt!! 0oooooo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement