Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Clegg wrote: »
    After seeing the hammering that Munster have gotten from Glasgow I'm now even more impressed that we beat them last week. I know our game against them was when neither had their first choice 15 but they're still a good side, especially at Pro 12 level.

Leinster have to win the rest of their league games. I wouldn't fancy having Glasgow away in the playoffs.

Yeah they looked good tonight! Piled the pressure on Munster and took the opportunities clinically when they came

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Strange, I might be on my own here, but I thought they looked better last week. They were certainly more dangerous, and their midfield tore us to shreds. Today they seemed a little bit tired on their feet and Munster were making yards against them for fun. I think returning internationals didn't help. Add that to the fact that half the points they got were gifted to them by intercepts then it adds up to a team that I wouldn't really worry about based on tonight. However, if they play like they did last week in the RDS with a full squad, I reckon they could put it up to anyone in the league in a playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Strange, I might be on my own here, but I thought they looked better last week. They were certainly more dangerous, and their midfield tore us to shreds. Today they seemed a little bit tired on their feet and Munster were making yards against them for fun. I think returning internationals didn't help. Add that to the fact that half the points they got were gifted to them by intercepts then it adds up to a team that I wouldn't really worry about based on tonight. However, if they play like they did last week in the RDS with a full squad, I reckon they could put it up to anyone in the league in a playoff.

They will have the European weekends off, that means they can pick a consistent lineup from here on in while staying relatively fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I agree that they were better last week. But they were clinical in taking their scores. The ones that weren't handed to them anyway.

And I'm a bit worried about poor Munster. They're awful when they make a few changes to their first choice 15. They've no depth whatsoever. I can see why Conway would want to go there. He's be guaranteed lots of gametime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Munster didn't do us any favours with that impression of a deck chair. Glasgow are a very decent side though. I wouldn't be overly confident of beating them home or away, but especially not IF we face them in play-offs and over stretch ourselves over two competitions as has been our downfall for the last few years. (as Guy Noves states, a double is impossible! I don't believe that, but it's certainly incredibly demanding).

Not many teams put a half century on Munster and the week before they hassled Leinster more than most teams are capable of in Dublin. Play-offs will be interesting. Don't think we've seen the l.ast of them....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

NEW LEINSTER CONTRACTS:
    3 Years: Cian Healy (national contract), Michael McCarthy

2 Years: John Cooney, Sean Cronin, Luke Fitzgerald, Jimmy Gopperth, Rob Kearney (national contract), Brendan Macken, Ben Marshall, Fergus McFadden, Jack McGrath, Jordi Murphy, Eoin O'Malley, Mike Ross (national contract), Quinn Roux, Dominic Ryan, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner

1 Year: Leo Cullen, Darren Hudson, Martin Moore, Jack O'Connell, Noel Reid

The floodgates have well and truely opened to France :D

We really need an injection of new talent in the outside backs. We offered SFA in attack today.

I know our forwards were up against it today but we had the same problems during our Heineken Cup run. The backs just aren't creating anything.

Kearney desperately needs a good pre-season. He's a shadow of the player he was last season.

And without O'Brien in the team we lack an explosive carrier. Quinn Roux is probably our most abrasive second row but he's only coming back from injury. Being honest a second row of Cullen and Toner lacks any sort of real physicality. We're missing a lot of grunt up front imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Gotta say, I don't think we'll be winning anytihng this season unless we improve drastically. That's two lacklustre performances where we've created feck all and relied on Madigan to get us going forward, with plenty of tackles missed and stupidity.

BOD and MCF will improve us, but 9 and second row need to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

We really need an injection of new talent in the outside backs. We offered SFA in attack today.

I know our forwards were up against it today but we had the same problems during our Heineken Cup run. The backs just aren't creating anything.

Kearney desperately needs a good pre-season. He's a shadow of the player he was last season.

And without O'Brien in the team we lack an explosive carrier. Quinn Roux is probably our most abrasive second row but he's only coming back from injury. Being honest a second row of Cullen and Toner lacks any sort of real physicality. We're missing a lot of grunt up front imo.

Goodman-Nacewa centre pairing for much of the match. Wasn't great even when Macken was on but playing most of the game with that midfield isn't ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Leinster are a different side without O'Brien, even when he's not making barnstorming runs he's keeping defenders occupied and creating space elsewhere. Look back over Leinsters poorest performances over the past few seasons and he's usually absent.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Goodman-Nacewa centre pairing for much of the match. Wasn't great even when Macken was on but playing most
    of the game with that midfield isn't ideal
    None of the outside backs impressed this evening. We had zero creativity.

And our forwards were pretty poor too. I'm a big fan of Mc Loughlin but one of his biggest flaws is that he isn't a powerful carrier. When our backs aren't sparking we need the forwards to do the job. But apart from O'Brien and Healy we don't have enough good carriers. Cullen is now severely underpowered for a second row. And I'm not a fan of Toner at all.

It's also a bit concerning when you see how Ulsters young backs are making the step up while ours haven't really impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Have to say I'm worried about next season looking at the Ins and Outs that have been confirmed so far. We're further away from Clermont (the benchmark AFAI am concerned) now than we were in December in terms of our squad for next season. I know there's plenty of time to get names in but the signals coming from the LB indicate that we will only sign one big name player. If BOD goes it will be a huge loss and we're going to need more than the one planned overseas player and 2 or 3 academy players to maintain the current gap to Clermont never mind bridge it. Early days yet but I am a little worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

None of the outside backs impressed this evening. We had zero creativity.

And our forwards were pretty poor too. I'm a big fan of Mc Loughlin but one of his biggest flaws is that he isn't a powerful carrier. When our backs aren't sparking we need the forwards to do the job. But apart from O'Brien and Healy we don't have enough good carriers. Cullen is now severely underpowered for a second row. And I'm a fan of Toner at all.

It's also a bit concerning when you see how Ulsters young backs are making the step up while ours haven't really impressed at all.

we were very blunt in attack tonight. in fairness to McLoughlin he is there in a defensive role which he delivered on.did two big hits on Tuohy in quick succession, the 2nd of which meant his off-load went forward.

Quin Roux is a potential carrier, Strauss will work back to fitness,Healy carried well and SOB will be back. I am more concerned about our cutting edge in the backs. With Luke injured and Isa leaving we lack an edge. Pray BOD plays on for another year because we still miss him and D'Arcy when they aren't on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Steve crosbie,billy dardis and peter dooley into academy for next year I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

lurtz wrote: »

Only 3 players?

thats what Ive heard so far,Daly is touch and go. Adam Byrne is also in there though not sure does he count as joining first year this year or next year. Im sure a few more will be finalised soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm on their mailing list for some reason...
    wasps wrote:

Dear

Join us on Friday night for European knock-out rugby when Adams Park welcomes Leinster in the Quarter Final of the Amlin Challenge Cup.

With ticket prices starting from just £15 this game is heading for a sell-out and the atmosphere is sure to be electric in front of the biggest crowd of the season! Watch our preview video here fglCPsN32Dk&dm_i=1NE8,1DPE0,9JOFWI,4OWPQ,1

Wasps are just three games away from silverware but first must battle against the odds against one of the leading sides in world rugby, as Leinster travel with the mantle of being the reigning Heineken Cup champions.

With Irish stars such as Rob Kearney, Jamie Heaslip and Cian Healy in their midst, this clash is one of the toughest Dai Young’s men have faced all season at Adams Park but Wasps too can call on some young emerging stars with Christian Wade, Elliot Daly and Joe Launchbury all aiming to continue their glittering form this season.

There are just over 1,000 tickets left for the game so book your seat now to avoid disappointment! Friday night lights at Adams Park is not to be missed!

Click here to book or call 0844 225 9555

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I think it was just the fact he tried it. I have the feeling he would've done that anyway, advantage or no.

Slightly late response...but I really really hope he wouldn't have tried that without an advantage, that would be really dumb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Didn't look like a Joe Schmidt coached team last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

thats what Ive heard so far,Daly is touch and go. Adam Byrne is also in there though not sure does he count as joining first year this year or next year. Im sure a few more will be finalised soon

Think Daly should get an offer and if we don't offer Connacht/Munster should be offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Didn't look like a Joe Schmidt coached team last night.

We always seem to take a few games to gel after the lads come back from the Ireland camp. Happens every season.
    It's like it takes them a few games to remember all the stuff they're infected with when they're exposed to Kidney, Kiss etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Heroditas wrote: »
    We always seem to take a few games to gel after the lads come back from the Ireland camp. Happens every season.
    It's like it takes them a few games to remember all the stuff they're infected with when they're exposed to Kidney, Kiss etc...

Dunno if that's a valid excuse this time - bar Rob Kearney the backline wasn't with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Heroditas wrote: »

You can't blame Kidney for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

trouttrout wrote: »
    You can't blame Kidney for everything

I heard it was Kidney who gave D'Arcy food poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Is that inside info or speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

rugby_fan wrote: »

I heard the same 3 names from a lad that's played Leinster Development and has been involved with Sub Academy and representative squads for years. To be honest, are you surprised? 3 names that would be thrown around really for the spots. In that Reid is finished his Academy (I think?), Dooley has a huge future, and Dardis could be the replacement for SCM if the rumours are true.

Leinster have been looking for good props for years. Now 3 or 4 good prospects have all come at once.

And for the first time in a while we're struggling for depth in the backs.

It's funny how these things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

I heard the same 3 names from a lad that's played Leinster Development and has been involved with Sub Academy and representative squads for years. To be honest, are you surprised? 3 names that would be thrown around really for the spots. In that Reid is finished his Academy (I think?), Dooley has a huge future, and Dardis could be the replacement for SCM if the rumours are true.

no daly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

no daly?
    There will be more than 3 joining the academy. Those are just the guys the previous posters have heard of

• Advertisement

rugby_fan wrote: »

Inside info

Reid has been given a one year development contract
    no daly?

He's touch and go,undecided yet as to whether he'll be given a contract Im told
    There will be more than 3 joining the academy. Those are just the guys the previous posters have heard of

I was told by academy lads these have been signed,and you're right few more to be added yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement