Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options

Comments

pixelburp wrote: »
    The organisers were pretty intense about security and footage sneaking out, but I guess in this day and age it's impossible to keep a lid on these sorts of things...

All bets are off once google glasses are released. It'll be impossible to stop content being uploaded in real time. I can see cinemas, venues, etc having a blanket ban on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Did anyone notice the Godzilla roar in Pacific Rim? it's early on in the news footage of the Kaiju attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Well, that was a massively disappointing end to that clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

Godziirrrraahh

GODZIIRRRAHH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Godzilla was a decent movie at the time. Just compared to Jurassic Park which was mind blowing in its day it lacked. Loved Cloverfield though. Thought it was really well done and had some really clever elements to it. Great on surround sound blu ray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭chucksandstorm

That link looks dead. You should be able to see it here
    http://www.pulpinterest.com/movies/godzilla-2014-official-teaser-trailer/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Big fan of the originals and eagerly awaiting this reboot.

Legendary seem to have copped on to the fact that messing with the formula, a la the '98 version will get you nowhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

youtube link down

heres megaupload link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15jxq2_godzilla-3d-teaser_shortfilms#from=embediframe

Looks good.

Playing it smart by actually showing godzilla

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, looks like the destruction will be impressively high definition anyway hehe; it certainly seems like they're on the right track anyway, and as something to set the mood it does the job very well, with its emphasis on environmental destruction and Oppenheimer's famous "I am become death" confessional playing over it.

As with all these sorts of adaptations, I'd still assume Hollywood will crowbar in some uninteresting characters / audience surrogates just so they can tick the boxes marked 'Human Interest' and fulfil the criteria demanded by their marketing drones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Looks like it'll be epic destruction etc.

It just won't be a Godzilla film. I hope I'm proven wrong but it looks like an end of the world destruction of a major American city rather than Godzilla.

Where's Mothra???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks like it will be a rehash of the Roland Emmerich one with better cgi to me

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dempsey wrote: »
    Looks like it will be a rehash of the Roland Emmerich one with better cgi to me

If the trailer is anything to go by it should be fairly different tonally to that film I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the tone from that trailer suggests they're playing this one dead straight; the Emmerich version had its tongue lodged firmly in its cheek from the first scene.

I think that trailer should have ended when the skydiver spotted Godzilla at the edge of his vision. It was a stark, mysterious trailer up until that point, but then descended into a fairly generic mish-mash of action scenes. Too early to tell much about the focus of the final film, I just hope they don't lumber it with needless human-interest baggage and jingoism. Looks a tad too caucasian for my liking...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, the skydive scene is certainly visually striking, I'll give 'em that. I'm still pessimistic they'll be embracing the vital allegorical aspect of Gojira here (who knows yet though!), but it suggests Edwards can frame a setpiece...

The trailer does play up the military / governmental aspect quite explicitly: I think that angle has been overcovered in countless monster / disaster movies (and Godzilla movies at that) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed there'll be more to it than that, especially with a good cast on hand. Both Monsters and Cloverfield illustrate there's something much more involving about the 'human narrative' when you have innocent people caught in the thick of it: obviously don't want them to mindlessly copy their formulae either, but dramatically there's much to be said for having the characters easy to relate to and not single handedly trying - and usually succeeding - to stop the threat in question. I definitely think a well developed human focus is important in these kinds of films, and handling them with care and intelligence is the difference between generic nonsense and something more memorable.

Well, the skydive scene is certainly visually striking, I'll give 'em that. I'm still pessimistic they'll be embracing the vital allegorical aspect of Gojira here (who knows yet though!), but it suggests Edwards can frame a setpiece...

The nuclear allegory is fairly redundant at this stage though, even if events like Fukashima pushed it into the public consciousness again, so I'd be slow to believe that'll get trotted out in the 2014 variant. If anything's more likely it'll be the film ploughing the generally popular Science-Runs-Amok angle Hollywood likes to use in film and TV these days. GM and cloning's still quite topical so maybe they'll work that in.
    Both Monsters and Cloverfield illustrate there's something much more involving about the 'human narrative' when you have innocent people caught in the thick of it:

Funny you mention Cloverfield, I wonder if that intentional homage might scupper any chance of Godzilla generating buzz on its own terms. It wouldn't be the first time that the progenitor returns to the field, only to fail & come across as utterly derivative in the face of younger films inspired by the original

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Needs more
    big ass spider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think they're allowing the Comic Con trailer to be posted on youtube now:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it looks pretty dam cool. The halo drop scene looks excellent (though why you'd send 20 men to fight a giant monster, i'm not sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Visually, that looked excellent, and I also loved the tone of the trailer. I very much hope that's indicative of the final film (2001 monolith music?).

In terms of the cast, Cranston, Strathairn and Hawkins are all very welcome additions, but I hope Edwards gives them something to work with. Taylor-Johnson is a huge negative though. I hope he's shat on by our radio-active friend.

I do give bonus points for apparently keeping the creature design reasonably true to the originals (changes for more realism/less man-in-a-rubber-suit excepted of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Looks like Heisenberg let his experiment out of the lab.

Waiting for the inevitable
    Heisenberg Vs Godzilla sequel in Summer 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I very much hope that's indicative of the final film (2001 monolith music?).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Definitely looks visually interesting anyway, that's a proper teaser trailer too, I'd happily see not another frame of footage based on a trailer like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its gorgeous looking .

keep thinking of the matrix for some reason. i know its got bugger all in common with that film, but its just the way its shot/the colour pallate etc that seems to evoke that sense of style.

ive a feeling ill be quite happy to see this flim just for the visuals alone. if its got a half decent plot/script all the better.

Really love the look of the Godzilla too. I hated Zilla. REally looking forward to this movie .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

At about 45secs into that trailer there seems to be at least 6 sets of claws, could be more than one Godzilla?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

stevenmu wrote: »
    At about 45secs into that trailer there seems to be at least 6 sets of claws, could be more than one Godzilla?

Not multiple Godzillas, but there's to be other Kaiju in this alright.

Advertisement