Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Nothing could ever top this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why are people branding this as a failure so early on?

What, all of one person? :p In fairness it's a second attempt at transferring a relatively niche genre from Japanese cinema to American shores, with the first US Godzilla being something of a well-known trainwreck (that could still figure in the public's mind) Then you look at Pacific Rim's apparently unimpressive takings at the Box Office & one wonders if the appetite exists for big Monster movies such as Godzilla.

Time will tell of course, and it's all supposition for now & maybe I sounded earlier like I'm writing the film off completely, but nobody's silly enough to judge too harshly before even a single trailer has aired; wisest option is to temper expectations way back, in case of another disappointment. I know I will :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Look at cloverfield, that done well did it? I loved Cloverfield. A monster movie done with that darkness works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Would I be lynched if I admitted liking the American Godzilla?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Look at cloverfield, that done well did it? I loved Cloverfield. A monster movie done with that darkness works well.

True, though from what I recall Cloverfield benefited from a pretty strong viral / marketing campaign that got the public interested by way of being a massive mystery; it had a brilliantly ambiguous & edited initial trailer that kept its cards close to its chest - for the longest while it wasn't clear what Cloverfield was - with 'normal' news outlets joining in the mystery...

We shall see though; hopefully Comic Con will yield some form of trailer anyway...
    .ak wrote: »
    Would I be lynched if I admitted liking the American Godzilla?

Depends on what you liked about it, but generally? Yes, you're a bad person. Go to a corner :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just liked it as a big, leave your brain at the door, blockbuster... in the same way I like independence day. Guilty pleasures, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd imagine the Japanese might be a bit sensitive about Nuclear disaster films at the moment...
    Maybe not. The original was a reflection on Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Which was very recent history at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

.ak wrote: »
    Just liked it as a big, leave your brain at the door, blockbuster... in the same way I like independence day. Guilty pleasures, I guess.

I did too, but I'm looking forward to this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I really hope they run with some monster island or similar scenario, trying to redo the Godzilla vs man scenario does not translate to hollywood mostly because they wont (cant?) show the US army getting its ass proper whooped in american cinema*. They always got to come back and win which every Godzilla fan knows DOES NOT HAPPEN in a Godzilla movie.

*I mean proper whooped, sure you might see a battle or two go bad, but usually at the end of every movie the US army is still organized still fighting and winning. See: Independence day, transformers, Godzilla 98, war of the worlds, battle los angelus etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, going by those posters this Godzilla will be absolutely gigantic, or maybe it's just misleading marketing. :pac:

• Advertisement

I liked the 98 Godzilla.

There I said it, actually I think I love it!

The Manhattan project coming back to bite it in the arse. Great stuff.

Can't sleep and its far too warm to do anything so I decided to throw on Godzilla kill two hours. The decision to throw out the original script where Godzilla fought other monsters and instead focus on Godzilla vs. the Army was the films first mistaken. It's simply not that interesting and not all that fun. Casting Matthew Broderick was the second mistake, he's the least imposing hero you could imagine and is about as interesting as a damp sponge. He has absolutely no screen presence here and you really wish that Jean Reno had been given more to do.

Visually the film is quite nice though the decision to shoot every screen in the middle if a rainstorm makes everything look murky. I'm sure it was done do as to make the FX work look more impressive by hiding any shortcomings but all it really accomplishes is make a truly impressive FX creation look cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well, going by those posters this Godzilla will be absolutely gigantic, or maybe it's just misleading marketing. :pac:

They exaggerated his size in the '98 one too.

godzilla.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

I liked the 98 movie. A family friend brought myself and the two brothers. She used to mind us if the parents had to go somewhere.

I loved it as a kid. I watched it a year or two ago and it's nowhere near as rubbish as it is made out to be. It's far from a classic, but I've seen a lot of much worse blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I always found it to be a passable film, not a very good film by any means but watchable.

Broderick, though, is completely annoying in it. Anybody cast in his role would have been better and probably would've given the film a bit more fun, he has the on-screen personality of a wet shìte.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    I loved it as a kid. I watched it a year or two ago and it's nowhere near as rubbish as it is made out to be. It's far from a classic, but I've seen a lot of much worse blockbusters.

It's not that bad, the final act with the mini Zillas is awful but it has some good moments in the first half. Cardboard cutout characters and cliches aplenty but meh, seen a lot worse in recent years blockbuster wise. 1998 was a pretty terrible summer for movies, Armageddon was probably the best of the bunch and that ain't saying much, in a summer with The Avengers, Lost In Space, Deep Impact, shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I liked the Jamiroquai song that was on its soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You bastard, now it's stuck in my head again after getting it out of there all those years ago!

Just after finishing up the second half of the film and I'm not going to lie, it's a bloody enjoyable film. It's far from a great film and the script could seriously do with a rewrite or three but for a bit of throw away spectacle it's a lot of fun and I can see why I enjoyed it so much in the cinema when it first came out. It's big, dumb fun and at the time those FX were astounding. Much of the CGI looks dated now but there are moments such as when Godzilla is trapped on the suspension bridge that hold up very well.

If you removed Broderick, the love story, the baby Zillas and instead focused on Godzilla tearing his way across the US with the Army in pusuit then you could have quite a better film but considering how low my expectations were what I got was pleasantly surprising and a film that's no where near as bad as it's reputation would lead you to believe.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I loved Godzilla too the 98 one but as people said they focused too much on the army, and actually with the baby godzillas and all that crappy stuff it was almost an attempt at Jurrassic Park in the City :/ , And Matthew Broderick is good in comedy movies (ferris bueller, Cable Guy) but he was way out of place here , The opening scene with the old japanese guys fishing was pure gold though , not enough of that kind of stuff in the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

This was on my playlist earlier, cracking tune!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Footage description
    The WB and Legendary logos in Black and white. Soldiers running through the streets. A flooded city. Cranston takes off a radiation suit. Olsen crying. Paratroopers leaping out of a plane. Missles being loaded. A massive kaiju beast that ISN'T Godzilla! It looks like a massively scaled insect with long spider legs. It's attacking a dock. Soldiers are fighting it. But a massive scaled foot comes down. It's Godzilla! He's HUGE. He makes the other creature look tiny and moves to attack it! We don't see his face yet, but it looks like the classic Godzilla! The footage cuts away to a "2014" logo. As far as the other creature, think a combination of the Cloverfield monster and a bug from Starship Troopers

Alright! Going for the multiple monsters idea. I wasn't expecting that :)

Yeah that is interesting, sounds like they're going to dive straight into the idea of "Godzilla as anti-hero protector" territory.

What is this? Godzilla meets Cloverfield? Tell me it's not a found footage movie!

What is this? Godzilla meets Cloverfield? Tell me it's not a found footage movie!

It's not footage of the movie; at Comic-Con there was the 'Godzilla Experience', a walkthrough exhibition that set itself up as a bit of Tokyo under attack, and included a portion where you were in an office block when Godzilla passed. The organisers were pretty intense about security and footage sneaking out, but I guess in this day and age it's impossible to keep a lid on these sorts of things...

• Advertisement

This isn't footage from the film. The Godzilla Encounter was a thing that was set up at Comic-Con. It's like a haunted house type thing

Advertisement