Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

I loved that they kept him out of sight for so long it really did have a jaws buzz to it IMO. The lead actor was terrible alright and i cant help but wonder if a certain other charactor was turned into the lead just how good this film could of been.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

jones wrote: »
    I loved that they kept him out of sight for so long it really did have a jaws buzz to it IMO. The lead actor was terrible alright and i cant help but wonder if a certain other charactor was turned into the lead just how good this film could of been.

It's a real deterrent to multiple viewings alright.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to say I enjoyed this, so much so I put in a pre-order on Amazon when it was first available. Eagerly awaiting.

As with every film obviously it's down to opinions, some love it some hate it. Personally really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I tried to watch this bucket of rubbish last night... After a few minutes I knew I was in for a slow show... after 15 minutes I was determined just to stay to see Godzilla... When I saw him I turned it off, ....
    horrible movie... bad story, terrible acting and boring....

I am determined to get another cat/dog and name him Godzilla though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree. Pacific Rim gave me my fill of giant monsters fighting. This was the 'Jaws' of blockbuster monster movies. I loved how restrained they were with showing Godzilla. What they did show then was epic IMO. The shots of mass destruction were top notch and I really liked the "Monsters" vibe from many scenes (e.g. the river scene after the train attack). Cranston was excellent for the time that he was in it and it was a brave move to kill him but I liked that. Unfortunately, as many have pointed out, the remaining lead cast weren't half as good as Cranston. The lead guy was grand and was a decent person to follow around as the mayhem ensued. His wife though was awful and I didn't think she actually added anything to the story. They easily have removed her and son from the plot and the plot would remain intact. Just make the lead guy want to avenge his Mom & Dad instead as his motivation. Watanabe was too "old wise man" instead of "clued in scientist" too.

I enjoyed it greatly anyway. Perfect Friday night movie though there are some flaws. 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Jaysus that was a dreadful film. absolute scutter.
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson was horrendous. Felt a bit robbed than Cranston was only in for 5 minutes.
    identical in look the film monsters, only difference is that this cost 200.7M but I couldn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

As promised above i watched this on bluray the other night. Still love it.
    I do get a lot of the criticism thats being laid at it - particularly the main character who basically does SFA acting wise. The human elements of the story are what let it down but this is a film about Godzilla i suppose.

My home cinema was rocking watching this, picture and audio quality are top top notch.

My revised score 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

My home cinema was rocking watching this, picture and audio quality are top top notch.

As a visual/audio spectacle I thought it was top notch. If you loose that though (say by watching it on a laptop or something) you loose a lot of the appeal IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Bitterly disappointed after watching this. Wasn't what I expected at all. It almost felt like Pacific Rim trying to take itself to seriously.

Never thought I'd say this but I prefer Matthew Broderick's Godzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

godzilla the hero could have waited till the second film

• Advertisement

Saw this in the cinema and still thought that it was poor from a cinematic point of view, compared to something like say, Prometheus. Not to mention characters and a story that inspired zero emotional attachment. A major disappointment for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I loved the 1998 Godzilla and still do, yeah crucify me.
    Jean Reno, Matthew Broderick and Hank Azaria, any one of those alone was more dynamic than this entire movie.

Bryan Cranston was good, but god can he chew the scenery when not reined in.

Advertisement