Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options
  • 29-06-2012 1:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

Not much is known about this yet although a presentation will be featured at this summers Comic-Con.

Gareth Edwards (Monsters) is directing from a script by David Goyer which has been rewritten by Max Borenstein, set for release in 2014

Here's some early concept art for the man himself

godzillabanner994.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 1954 original shall not be beaten. Dodgy monster effects aside, its reflections on nuclear energy are surprisingly poignant and timeless.

Monsters was solid if overhyped. Could be interesting, but American Godzilla is inherently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

set in Japan, yay, set in America, boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can't imagine it being set in anywhere other than America TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, I'd imagine the Japanese might be a bit sensitive about Nuclear disaster films at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Monsters was a gem of a film, but a Godzilla film will be an entirely different tone you'd imagine! Monsters had a great heart and was at times beautiful.

But ye give me a large angry monster tearing down cities and I'll be gobbling that shít up all day long! I look forward!

• Advertisement

Gareth Edwards proved what he could do with an almost-micro budget; Monsters had top notch effects, most of which were done from his own computer. I'm excited to see what he could do with a big-budget movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Seems an appropriate time as any...

In regards to a new Godzilla, I have as low expectations as ever... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They should go the shaky cam, recorded by the survivors route to give it some originality.

Where is that Cloverfield sequel?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I want anti-hero Godzilla saving the day against Mothra or Mechastreisand and I want it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd imagine the Japanese might be a bit sensitive about Nuclear disaster films at the moment...

win comment :P

anyways cant beat another godzilla.. they never followed up on the ~2000's one even though they had the ending they had :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

kenyard wrote: »
    DrumSteve wrote: »

anyways cant beat another godzilla.. they never followed up on the ~2000's one even though they had the ending they had :(

It was released in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

kenyard wrote: »

Godzilla: The Series was the sequel to that film apparently.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I want anti-hero Godzilla saving the day against Mothra or Mechastreisand and I want it now.

I'd imagine they will save that for a sequel. I liked that anti-hero dynamic played out in many of the Japanese films where Godzilla was our only hope of defeating some other monster, but more than capable of tearing us a new one if not managed properly.

Looking at that concept art it seems they are going for the more traditional appearance. I might get crucified for this, but I quite liked the more 'modern dinosaur' appearance of the American 'zilla.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    I might get crucified for this, but I quite liked the more 'modern dinosaur' appearance of the American 'zilla.

Oi, get back to the paleontology forum, dinosaur boy! :P

Oi, get back to the paleontology forum, dinosaur boy! :P

Feathered Godzilla FTW! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It was released in 1998.

Now I feel old, thank you very much.

I remember going to see it in the cinema and thinking throughout that the velociraptors were so much better in Jurassic Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It was released in 1998.

Now I feel old, thank you very much.

I remember going to see it in the cinema and thinking throughout that the velociraptors were so much better in Jurassic Park.

Remember think inking that too, the baby godZillas were like bambi on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Watching 2001s, or after reading this was it 1998 i cant remember tis the one with Matthew Brodrick, Godzilla right now and just saw this thread, im actually looking forward to this tbh, i do imho think that the american version is and will probably be a bit better but we shall see :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Randomly landed on the Godzilla imdb page.
    Some cast are listed Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Bryan Cranston seems to be in everything nowadays. It's funny how far he's come since Malcolm in the Middle.

• Advertisement

He deserves his success TBH. Fine actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Interesting that both David S. Goyer and Frank Darabont were involved with the script for this reboot

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Frank Darabont

Let's just hope utilizing him doesn't turn out to be a big Mistake.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Poster

ecm2zk8.jpg

Concept art

OdU68Jx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah one of the big flops of 2014, you read it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I'm confused? Are people here prasing Broderick's Godzilla? It was tripe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My expectations for this couldn't be lower. Despite there being a promising director at the helm, there's no reason to believe this will be even remotely watchable or competent. Thus, I can only be pleasantly surprised by the end result. With any other way lies madness.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    [...]
    Looking at that concept art it seems they are going for the more traditional appearance. I might get crucified for this, but I quite liked the more 'modern dinosaur' appearance of the American 'zilla.

Of all the things wrong with the 1998 production, and by god there were plenty, the design of Godzilla wasn't the worst offender. There's only so much creativity you can bring to the 'Giant Lizard' table, and the dinosaur appearance kinda worked. Still doesn't forgive the baby Godzillas though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Worth mentioning as well btw that for those who hated the 1998 design, Toho acknowledged this, retconned that particular monster as 'Zilla' and included him as cannon-fodder in one of the subsequent Godzilla movies. Now that's how you do fan-service :D

Why are people branding this as a failure so early on?

• Advertisement

Why are people branding this as a failure so early on?

So they can say I told you so?

Call me old skool, but I like to wait until I've at least seen a trailer before making such predictions.
    That said, I did claim that Michael Bay's Transformers would become a multi-billion dollar franchise before there was even any concept art out.

Advertisement