Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Recruitment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Yes , 50/50 was done away with at the same time recruitment ceased ( coincidence I'm sure ). Current status is that were recruitment to resume tomorrow then 50/50 rules would not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I wonder if our new secretary of state would be "minded" to allow 50/50 recruitment to get some recruits in just as our last secretary was "minded" to end it. unless its been shredded there is still a merit list in a drawer some where!

Think I remember Terry spence saying something along the lines of- the police federation would back 50/50 if it meant they could get some more recruits.

I will always be dreaming :D

I wonder if our new secretary of state would be "minded" to allow 50/50 recruitment to get some recruits in just as our last secretary was "minded" to end it. unless its been shredded there is still a merit list in a drawer some where!

Think I remember Terry spence saying something along the lines of- the police federation would back 50/50 if it meant they could get some more recruits.

Thats the spirit Gig - never give up ! ;)

50/50 is gone for now but I won't be surprised it it makes a return in some form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

like your train of thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I was talking to a high ranking PSNI member yesterday, and he has said the decision to recruit in 2013 has already been made by Matt Baggott.

Roll on 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wannabeapeeler

It's been a long time since I added anything to this forum, since I was successful in C16, and have been only a mere spectator since then. I have it on excellent account, and I mean EXCELLENT, that there will be recruitment in 2013 with anticipated appointments of student officers in being made in early 2014. The successful candidates will more than likely be the last students to study and live in Garnerville, ad the new college will open in 2015. There's no word on how many positions will on offer, but I'm sure that in time such information will become known.
    So all you aspiring constables should start getting ready so that when the campaign begins, you'll be able to give it everything you have to be successful in obtaining what is 'the best job in the world'.
    Don't listen to the doom and bloomers about the masses of paperwork. Sure, there's a bit of that, but you'll soon learn to master that end of the job. It's a brilliant job which is very well paid!! Give it everything you've got when recruitment commences!! It's worth the torment that a campaign brings upon those participating in it.

Take it from me....THERE WILL BE A RECRUITMENT CAMPAIGN IN 2013.....!!!

I hope this assuages the anxiety of some of you boardies who have been frustrated in past campaigns, and who have waited patiently for the next recruitment campaign!! Your wait is nearly over.

Roll on 2013-:)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Belfast Telegraph tomorrow is doing an article on PSNI restarting recruitment as one in six officers are about to retire.

Recruitment due in twelve months. It will be alot smaller than previous campaigns. The PSNI Strength quota is 7,100 and in the next three years as many as 1,100 officers will be eligible for retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

I'm very excited to hear about the new recruitment campaign, I was seriously considering applying for England/Scotland police then attempt to transfer back to Northern Ireland. The police or army are the only jobs I can see myself doing in life as after working countless jobs in an office I just can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

Last time I failed the roleplay by a couple of points but I feel more confident now that I have tried and failed knowing what to expect.

D4z wrote: »
    I'm very excited to hear about the new recruitment campaign, I was seriously considering applying for England/Scotland police then attempt to transfer back to Northern Ireland. The police or army are the only jobs I can see myself doing in life as after working countless jobs in an office I just can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

Last time I failed the roleplay by a couple of points but I feel more confident now that I have tried and failed knowing what to expect.

I barely passed the IST but did well in the AC. However it wasnt enough to get in the merit pool. It will be tougher this time with only a small amount of officers being taken on at a time. I will have to be getting near 100% to be in with a decent chance.

I passed everything last time and cleared vetting and medical, but just missed out. :(

Hope this time is 7th time lucky.

Delancey wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't go planning my life around a possible campaign in 2013.

Ye of little faith.
    I trust my numerous sources. ;)

I also hear you will need a driving licence and pass a fitness test as part of the recruitment campaign.

Also talk that you may have to self finance part of your training if you are selected.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    I also hear you will need a driving licence and pass a fitness test as part of the recruitment campaign.

I have also heard about the driving licence and a fitness test. I also heard that they are considering setting a required minimum standard of educational qualifications. Which, if that is the case, I imagine would anger alot of people that do not have them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I luckily have no financial worries or wont have in the future but out of sheer interest, what part of training are they thinking of requiring self investment?? :pac:

I luckily have no financial worries or wont have in the future but out of sheer interest, what part of training are they thinking of requiring self investment?? :pac:

The theory/law degree bit which may be university based learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

The theory/law degree bit which may be university based learning.

Interesting, thanks for that ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

If for example an individual had applied for a different UK police force and was about to go for the first stage of the process in the next few weeks and in the end was successful, starting around april.

What sort of situation would they be in if they were to apply for a transfer in 12 months time when this recruitment is rumoured to begin?

fingerbob wrote: »
    If for example an individual had applied for a different UK police force and was about to go for the first stage of the process in the next few weeks and in the end was successful, starting around april.

What sort of situation would they be in if they were to apply for a transfer in 12 months time when this recruitment is rumoured to begin?

They would be snookered unfortunately - officers in other UK forces must at a minimum have completed their 2 year probationary period before applying to transfer to the PSNI or indeed any other UK force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Recruitment in the new year. Done deal. Already decided. Watch this space.

No word on pre-requisites such as driving licence or qualifications - highly unlikely if you ask me, they'd never get it past the Police Federation as long as the Winsor report is confined to England and Wales. The recruitment process may be different without the Patten recommendations, the PSNI won't have to outsource it to Deloitte and they would be able to add an interview stage.

New recruits will train at G'ville, forget about Desertcreat. PSNI have agreed a deal to 'rent back' the land G'ville sits on from the company they sold it to. If Desertcreat is there by 2015 I'll eat my forage cap. 2020 would be a push. My wager is it will be shelved. It's being pushed along by a single high-profile female Police officer. If she gets a more senior post elsewhere the project will probably be brushed under the carpet where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

It's great to hear that recruitment is going to start up next year. I wonder will there be flexibility in that self investment section of the training? For example if someone had a legal qualification would they still have to undertake this segment. I guess it's still a bit early to be guessing about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 williamv633

Hello,

I have always wanted to join the PSNI and over the past few months i have decided that i want to go ahead with it..

I have no idea how or were to apply..

So my question is where do i apply?? and is there anything i would need to know as a first time candidate??

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

I have always wanted to join the PSNI and over the past few months i have decided that i want to go ahead with it..

I have no idea how or were to apply..

So my question is where do i apply?? and is there anything i would need to know as a first time candidate??

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Applications are not being accepted at the moment - you must await a recruitment campaign and all you need to know will be on the website ( and here too ! ;) )

notbrazil wrote: »
    Recruitment in the new year. Done deal. Already decided. Watch this space.

No word on pre-requisites such as driving licence or qualifications - highly unlikely if you ask me, they'd never get it past the Police Federation as long as the Winsor report is confined to England and Wales. The recruitment process may be different without the Patten recommendations, the PSNI won't have to outsource it to Deloitte and they would be able to add an interview stage.

New recruits will train at G'ville, forget about Desertcreat. PSNI have agreed a deal to 'rent back' the land G'ville sits on from the company they sold it to. If Desertcreat is there by 2015 I'll eat my forage cap. 2020 would be a push. My wager is it will be shelved. It's being pushed along by a single high-profile female Police officer. If she gets a more senior post elsewhere the project will probably be brushed under the carpet where it belongs.

Cheers for that notbrazil - yeah the Deputy Chief does seem to be closely identified with the Desercreat project.

I have a question perhaps someone in the know can answer : many people are saying that Patten is finished up from the recruitment point of view but I'm not convinced this is accurate. Yes, the most high profile Patten measure of 50/50 is gone ( for now ) but my understanding is that the rest of Patten still applies - outsourced recruitment , etc.

Anyone able to confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 williamv633

This maybe more of a question for shield or a mod.

What do you think are the chances they would use people from the last merit list when recruitment starts?

If memory serves me right they have done so before.

Considering I've passed Medicals and vetting.

This maybe more of a question for shield or a mod.

What do you think are the chances they would use people from the last merit list when recruitment starts?

If memory serves me right they have done so before.

Considering I've passed Medicals and vetting.

Suppose it all depends on how long they keep their records for. The Met only held applicants files for two years after that they had to reapply. Also the 50/50 policy being ended could also have an impact.

But if it's true more Catholic officers have left than Protestant officers they may use those from the 50/50 list to bring up numbers again.

The news about blocked leave and 2000 officers from England could mean recruitment wont occur until after the G8 event as the PSNI will not have resources to spare training new recruits.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Suppose it all depends on how long they keep their records for. The Met only held applicants files for two years after that they had to reapply. Also the 50/50 policy being ended could also have an impact.

But if it's true more Catholic officers have left than Protestant officers they may use those from the 50/50 list to bring up numbers again.

The news about blocked leave and 2000 officers from England could mean recruitment wont occur until after the G8 event as the PSNI will not have resources to spare training new recruits.

2 years.... what date did the last recruitment close?

TBH I am just clutching at straws I think.

Hate the thought of having to do the process again when I passed it all last time and came so close.

My vetting passed in Feb 2011 so it hasnt been a year yet.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, before the recruitment freeze how long did you have to wait between campaigns before you were allowed to reapply?

I'm applying to another force at the minute and hoping that it I don't get through their recruitment process, I will be eligible to apply to the psni when they open next year.

Advertisement