Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No I understand completly what you mean about it being realistic i was being sarccy obviously going by the ;) icon lol but on a serious note , Pre Avengers i would have completely agreed but I think with the addition of the Chitauri and portals to other dimensions and thing its open season if you ask me, We've already seen the Chitauri and Frost Giants and of course all Asguardians and I think its very feesible that Marvel will alude to not just 9 realms but a massive universe out there ala Star Wars and Rocket Racoon comes from a system or planet full of beings like him

I think Groot is an even harder sell (thats the guy someone called an Ent) he in his various incarnations has been seen to be either Treebeard sized to Racoon sized , Starlord the guy in the mask is from Earth originaly as far as I know , Moondragon the girl in the hood is the daughter of Thanos so yeah this is definitly going to tie heavily into Avengers 2 which inevitibly will help it succeed, Really lookin forward to see how they do with Drax (guy with the knives) big favourite of mine

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lets not write it off before the script is even written. There was plenty of people on here who thought you couldn't convincingly have a norse god in the same film as Iron Man. This is a hard sell yes and could very well be an epic disaster of a film but it could also be a very fun galaxy spanning sci-fi movie, something we haven't had in a very long time! They can put as much cg in it as they want as long as its got a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A talking raccoon isn't just beyond the realms of that attempted realism; it's also just stupid.

Actually, it's much more stupid to imagine that the people from Asgard and the Frost Giants all look exactly like folks from Earth (only blue) even though they are aliens and have less in common with us genetically than a wasp or a jellyfish (or a raccoon).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Holy Crap, James Gunn is in talks to direct this. I really hope they can strike a deal, would love to see what he'll do with a property like this. Obviously he wouldn't have free reign over the material but still I reckon he could do a great job.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-363928

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Why is everyone on the internet so psyched about James Gunn? Slither was good, but Super was pretty mediocre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Holy Crap, James Gunn is in talks to direct this. I really hope they can strike a deal, would love to see what he'll do with a property like this. Obviously he wouldn't have free reign over the material but still I reckon he could do a great job.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-363928

I really liked Slither so not a bad choice as director imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

kenyard wrote: »
    apparently the guy playing the hulk is signed up for 7 movies total...
    Yeah but some of those appearances could be post credit cameos like we had in the run up to avengers one.

This sounds like too big and ambitious a project to not get ****ed up but hey, we all said that about Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Why is everyone on the internet so psyched about James Gunn? Slither was good, but Super was pretty mediocre.

I thought the opposite actually, I found Slither not great but really enjoyed Super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If this ties directly into The Avengers sequel then I imagine they'll show up somehow to assist Tony and co in taking on the uber threat that is Thanos....which means you're going to have a little raccoon interacting with the likes of Steve Rodgers and Nick Fury. This is by far the riskiest thing they have done to date.

I really hope Marvel don't lose sight on this, they've achieved something great through giving us safe but solid solo movies leading into their "party piece" The Avengers. They really should focusing on ensuring that they continue this through IM3, T2 and CA2 rather than throwing GotG into the mix.

But hey, they've reasonably pulled everything off to date so maybe it's best that I just reserve judgement. :pac:

But hey, they've reasonably pulled everything off to date so maybe it's best that I just reserve judgement. :pac:
    I agree wholeheartedly but there are some reverse rose tinted glasses in regards to marvel. I remember everyone being satisfied with Spiderman 1 & 2 until the third was released and now, the whole trilogy seems to be universally hated. So much so that it got a reboot which seems split down the middle.
    Same goes for Xmen.

So if they make a ****e of the GoG or even A2 or its prequels, then I imagine popular opinion will turn on the gems we've had until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree wholeheartedly but there are some reverse rose tinted glasses in regards to marvel. I remember everyone being satisfied with Spiderman 1 & 2 until the third was released and now, the whole trilogy seems to be universally hated. So much so that it got a reboot which seems split down the middle.
    Same goes for Xmen.

So if they make a ****e of the GoG or even A2 or its prequels, then I imagine popular opinion will turn on the gems we've had until now.

Yes for Spiderman, but i'm pretty sure a lot of people don't see the X-Men films like that. First two were good films, third was awful. The whole Spiderman series was mediocre IMO.

If this ties directly into The Avengers sequel then I imagine they'll show up somehow to assist Tony and co in taking on the uber threat that is Thanos....which means you're going to have a little raccoon interacting with the likes of Steve Rodgers and Nick Fury. This is by far the riskiest thing they have done to date.

I really hope Marvel don't lose sight on this, they've achieved something great through giving us safe but solid solo movies leading into their "party piece" The Avengers. They really should focusing on ensuring that they continue this through IM3, T2 and CA2 rather than throwing GotG into the mix.

I don't think the Racoon is that big a step considering we've already had the frost giants tbh.

I'd rather they be ambitious and take risks like this than just play it safe and not go further down the cosmic route. THe lack of risk taking and ambition is generally the biggest complaint regarding blockbusters I see on here, Marvel should be applauded imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'd rather they be ambitious and take risks like this than just play it safe and not go further down the cosmic route.

I agree, if you want comic-book movies without real superheroes, supervillains, superpowers, aliens or magic, go watch a Dark Knight movie.

Actual comic-books are stuffed with crazy crap. Let's see something really wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Who would we want to voice Rocket Racoon?

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Who would we want to voice Rocket Racoon?

Chris Rock, I really think he could add the necessary gravitas to the character.

I don't think the Racoon is that big a step considering we've already had the frost giants tbh.

I'd rather they be ambitious and take risks like this than just play it safe and not go further down the cosmic route. THe lack of risk taking and ambition is generally the biggest complaint regarding blockbusters I see on here, Marvel should be applauded imo.

I don't know, it's one thing presenting Frost Giants as a believable threat, and then presenting a tiny raccoon as some kind of intergalactic bad ass.

I don't know, it's one thing presenting Frost Giants as a believable threat, and then presenting a tiny raccoon as some kind of intergalactic bad ass.
    It could work, depends on the graphics, and the voice actor....stanley tucci ain't gonna cut it

It could work, depends on the graphics, and the voice actor....stanley tucci ain't gonna cut it

Joking aside, I'm not that familiar with rocket racoon over all but I think it would be great if they got someone fairly serious to do it, someone like George Clooney (always thought he should voice Master Chief if Halo ever got made).

Edit: Or maybe this is the big screen Nathan Fillion role we've all been waiting for :pac:

Joking aside, I'm not that familiar with rocket racoon over all but I think it would be great if they got someone fairly serious to do it, someone like George Clooney (always thought he should voice Master Chief if Halo ever got made).
    hmm i fairly familiar with rocket...my choice (just because i want him in a superhero film and he's a bit of a badass anyway) would be hugh laurie....granted most people wont like that choice

hmm i fairly familiar with rocket...my choice (just because i want him in a superhero film and he's a bit of a badass anyway) would be hugh laurie....granted most people wont like that choice

I could see that working. Do you mean with his House voice or his own posh english accent?

• Advertisement

I could see that working. Do you mean with his House voice or his own posh english accent?
    well i think he wouldnt go with either, think he would go with what he would learn about the character and change his voice to suit. The tone is more so what i'm after

Short and hairy, would have to be Danny DeVito.

Source

James Gunn confirmed to direct the film and rewrite Chris McCoy and Nicole Perlman's script

This pleases me greatly, really hope he's allowed put his own weird stamp on it to some extent.

This pleases me greatly, really hope he's allowed put his own weird stamp on it to some extent.

Now who can Nathan Fillion play :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Now who can Nathan Fillion play :p

He's been linked to Star Lord actually (the human guy with the mask in the concept art) but apparently he said he wouldn't take the role because he's commited himself to Castle at the moment. He's good mates with Gunn though, I wouldn't write him off appearing altogether.

Chris Pratt is to play the lead character

Was hoping of the rumoured names that Jack Houston would get it but Pratt apparently is a good choice anyway among fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I just can't look at Pratt and see anybody but Andy from Parks and Rec!

• Advertisement

Don't know how reliable this is, but there's rumours flying around that Jason Mamoa has been cast as Drax the Destroyer: http://screenrant.com/jason-momoa-drax-destroyer-guardians-of-the-galaxy/?_r=true

He was great in GoT. I never watched Conan in the end though because it was supposed to be so bad.

Advertisement