Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what someone who'd never even heard of GotG would make of the trailer - assuming most who have replied here are at least vaguely aware of the comic; I suspect they'd be a bit lost and underwhelmed.

I'd never heard of the comic until the film was announced and still haven't read any of them. I've read plenty of Marvel comics but very few outside of more well known characters, I'm approaching this more as a fan of movies like Star Wars or Serenity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm curious to know what someone who'd never even heard of GotG would make of the trailer - assuming most who have replied here are at least vaguely aware of the comic; I suspect they'd be a bit lost and underwhelmed.

I never heard of it until the movie announcement... I am very interested

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd never heard of the comic until the film was announced and still haven't read any of them. I've read plenty of Marvel comics but very few outside of more well known characters, I'm approaching this more as a fan of movies like Star Wars or Serenity.
    I'm same as yourself, only know what I learned from articles around the film, I just mean those whose first encounter would be that trailer; would it have sold the idea?

I'm same as yourself, only know what I learned from articles around the film, I just mean those whose first encounter would be that trailer; would it have sold the idea?

So you mean "Shut your faces lads, you are already geeks and of course this would appeal to you":D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So you mean "Shut your faces lads, you are already geeks and of course this would appeal to you":D

Ha, I'd never say such a thing ;) we do tend to be of a particular demographic around these parts though, yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ha, I'd never say such a thing ;) we do tend to be of a particular demographic around these parts though, yes :)

Yeah there's an obvious demographic that will lap this up, but whatever about adults I don't think there's a 12 year old boy on the planet that would watch a trailer like that and not want to see this film.

As for what that says about the likes of me....no comment. :pac:

Gun wielding crazy racoon??? what 12 year old will not love that!

I have noted that, as I moved into my 30's, and embarrassment about going to these kind of films has gone. I now just do what pleases me. I think that Marvel have also copped that and are targeting the usual 12 year old boys AND their father's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gun wielding crazy racoon??? what 12 year old will not love that!

I have noted that, as I moved into my 30's, and embarrassment about going to these kind of films has gone. I now just do what pleases me. I think that Marvel have also copped that and are targeting the usual 12 year old boys AND their father's

I think you hit the jackpot with that comment. Except my missus loves these movies. It was the one thing that drew her into them at the start, the kind of humour from Iron Man, now shes hooked and im less of a nerd ha ha

My missus loves them too but I know that she would not go to see them, were it not for me.
    The way society is moving, it is acceptable for a guy to still love the things that he loved as a child. My father's generation was totally "that's for kids, so you can not like it anymore"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Trailer gave me that whole "Han Solo on the Death Star feeling"

That's good.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, don't get me wrong, the idea of the film nearly in our cinemas got me more excited than the actual trailer itself if you catch my drift; it just felt a bit choppy and unfocused, and for once I thought it a trailer that could do with more plot & context, not less.

You can't argue with the visuals therein though: I am a total geek for some good spaceship designs and looks like GoTG will have some eye-candy in that regard - the sight of an aesthetically pleasing craft tearing across the screen gets my inner 12 year old very excited every time :)

*mutters something about Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillen being the other type of eye-candy*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd have a few concerns about this tonally. I'm curious if Gunn's rather twisted, eccentric worldview can make it through Marvel's PG filtering process. While I think Pratt is great in Parks & Recs, having seen him in Her and The Lego Movie I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy him as a sci-fi badass - his performances aren't exactly a varied bunch.

It's currently the only Marvel film I have some vague interest in (well, Ant Man's a wait and see), but at the same time I'm just not sure if the studio has the capability of offering the sort of riskier, idiosyncratic effort I'd expect when James Gunn is directing a film where a raccoon is one of the main characters. But the trailer tells us basically nothing, so can only wait it out to find out which directions this goes. With their last couple of films being terminally bland, Marvel's output need a bolt of imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm not usually one for the laugh out loud moments but Pratt had me a couple of his times in this trailer. It seems that like RDJ's Stark, Quill is a dickhead. The difference though is that Stark's nobbishness can grate at times because, well....it's well founded (billionaire genius).

Quill on the other hand seems to be endearing loser which should provide plenty of entertainment if his co-stars are up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

With their last couple of films being terminally bland, Marvel's output need a bolt of imagination.

I agree with that sentiment. I'm hoping that the sheer obscurity of the premise will be enough to set it apart, though the trailer suggests that it will be tonally similar to the other Disney Marvel offerings.

For anyone with an interest in reading the series, it's pretty easy to jump on board - the title was relaunched last year, so there are only around 12 issues to catch up on. It is somewhat tied to previous continuity, but it is certainly not inaccessible. It's a really fun space opera, and I'm hoping that the film will follow suit.

As for the trailer, I'm pretty happy that they have kept Rocket Racoon and Groot relatively under wraps. I'd be happy if I heard neither of them speak until I was sitting in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Something tells me this is going to be the massive flop that many have been predicting for the event / comic book movies that Hollywood's been churning out for the past decade.

I'll probably bring the little fella to see it as it's right up both of our streets but I can't see it garnering anything like the numbers you'd get for one of the Avengers movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'd have a few concerns about this tonally. I'm curious if Gunn's rather twisted, eccentric worldview can make it through Marvel's PG filtering process. While I think Pratt is great in Parks & Recs, having seen him in Her and The Lego Movie I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy him as a sci-fi badass - his performances aren't exactly a varied bunch.

It's currently the only Marvel film I have some vague interest in (well, Ant Man's a wait and see), but at the same time I'm just not sure if the studio has the capability of offering the sort of riskier, idiosyncratic effort I'd expect when James Gunn is directing a film where a raccoon is one of the main characters. But the trailer tells us basically nothing, so can only wait it out to find out which directions this goes. With their last couple of films being terminally bland, Marvel's output need a bolt of imagination.

I reciently re-watched 'Howard the Duck' and I'd more or less forgotten how completely bonkers is its what with the duck tits, interspecies sex and cigar smoking animals. Unsurprisingly, it bombed like the flightless bird it's eponymous hero happened to be. Of course it too was a toned down version of a pretty edgy and idiosyncratic comic book. I got a few Howard flashbacks watching the trailer....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm a bit disappointed that the trailer structure was like 'Iron Man in Space'. A quick quip here, some action, some joke about how cocky/asshole like the character is and then more action. I too share johnny_ultimates concern about if Gunn's complete output will shine through in the film.

I also hope there's a lot of the film that's not just inside big metal rooms, hopefully there's an interesting world that's on show too.

Case of wait and see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

:D

N4QtBsG.gif

There's no way Gunn will have gotten too much of a free reign in this, if it feels like a James Gunn movie in much the same way IM3 felt like a Shane Black film and Avengers felt like a Whedon film then I'll be happy.

I think where Gunn will shine through will be in the aesthetics rather than the story and that.

Yeah don't be expecting Super here (might get a bit of a Slither vibe from it, if we are lucky)

• Advertisement

Yeah don't be expecting Super here (might get a bit of a Slither vibe from it, if we are lucky)

Got a very Slither vibe off some of the stuff in the Thor 2 post credits scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've heard of Guardians of the Galaxy, but i was never a comic book reader, and i have no idea who any of those characters are. I'm also of the belief that Green Lantern is part of GotG? I could Google it, but i won't.

Anyway, yeah, i'm excited. It looks like it'll be right up my street. I'm 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Full trailer

Looks good and I have faith in Chris Pratt :p

I've heard of Guardians of the Galaxy, but i was never a comic book reader, and i have no idea who any of those characters are. I'm also of the belief that Green Lantern is part of GotG? I could Google it, but i won't.

Anyway, yeah, i'm excited. It looks like it'll be right up my street. I'm 30.

wrong universe. GL is part of DC and a member of the green lantern corps and the Justice League.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Got a very Slither vibe off some of the stuff in the Thor 2 post credits scene.

what cameo will Nathan Fillion have?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

looks like fun, i think you get the gist, fun

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

wrong universe. GL is part of DC and a member of the green lantern corps and the Justice League.

Reinforces my lack of knowledge in the comic book universe! I've led a sheltered, country life!

I think that leaves me at an advantage, as i won't be disappointed by certain decisions taken in relation to characters, ie: the whole Mandarin thing in IM3 (I thought it was hilarious!). So GotG is a clean slate for me!

Oh god, don't get me started on the Mandarin!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This looks like the Farscape movie I always wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I know nothing about the comic books but Chris Pratt's glistening abs have sold me and I am now desperate to see this movie. Great trailer!

Advertisement