Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Ordered Piston 2s and 3s.

Bases are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ordered Sony XBA-H1 based on this group review, also a cheap Sony Bluetooth adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've had the sennheiser momentum 1 and the Bose noise cancelling headphones since last Christmas... The benefits of both have been immense... The Momentum because of their general use and the Bose for flights and their noise cancelling... Just makes me realise the best pair of headphones for me would be the Momentum Overear Wireless... They'd cover me for all uses...

Very tempted to dump both for a new investment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ordered Sony XBA-H1 based on this group review, also a cheap Sony Bluetooth adapter.

Where did you order the H1s?

marko93 wrote: »
    Where did you order the H1s?

Amazon UK, just over £75 with free shipping :)

• Advertisement

Amazon UK, just over £75 with free shipping :)

When they arrive, please post your thoughts and any comparisons you may have! They look fantastic. :D

When they arrive, please post your thoughts and any comparisons you may have! They look fantastic. :D

Mini-review will have to wait, my music HDD has packed it in :(

Mini-review will have to wait, my music HDD has packed it in :(

Well that is one super inconvenient HDD :( put of interest, what will you be running it through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hi Guys,

Anyone here tried an UpTone Regen (http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen)? Thinking of getting in for a Xmas order. My main aim is isolating my DAC as much as possible from the input source, the signal 'cleaning' is a plus so I'm looking for a little more than clipping the USB power pins. My DAC is galvanically isolated anyway so it may be mostly OCD on my part, hence the question :).

Cheers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've started to take a look around for a set of in-ears that I can use for running/cycling, work, and short distances (have Monster Inspiration's for everything else).
    For the last 6/7 months I've been using a pair of Senns CX 475's which have been grand, but I have the age old problem now of only one bud working.

I went into a brick n mortar today just to see what was there. There were way too many Senns to even start deciding on what to start looking at.
    I started looking at other options and ones that grabbed my eye where these Monster iSports -> http://shopmonsterproducts.co.uk/*/iSport-In-Ear/iSport-Strive-Blue/38IA03V2000

They are bang on my budget, look to get decent reviews, fit securely into the ear and cancel out noise. Waterproof and have a mic controller thing as well that might come in handy for using while running to adjust volumes.

Anyone have any experience with them? I have a pair of monsters already and dig them alot. Or any other suggestions? I'd like to try an over ear pair for running so I'm open for suggestions on them as well, bt weary of them just jumping off my head.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've started to take a look around for a set of in-ears that I can use for running/cycling, work, and short distances (have Monster Inspiration's for everything else).
    For the last 6/7 months I've been using a pair of Senns CX 475's which have been grand, but I have the age old problem now of only one bud working.

I went into a brick n mortar today just to see what was there. There were way too many Senns to even start deciding on what to start looking at.
    I started looking at other options and ones that grabbed my eye where these Monster iSports -> http://shopmonsterproducts.co.uk/*/iSport-In-Ear/iSport-Strive-Blue/38IA03V2000

They are bang on my budget, look to get decent reviews, fit securely into the ear and cancel out noise. Waterproof and have a mic controller thing as well that might come in handy for using while running to adjust volumes.

Anyone have any experience with them? I have a pair of monsters already and dig them alot. Or any other suggestions? I'd like to try an over ear pair for running so I'm open for suggestions on them as well, bt weary of them just jumping off my head.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHQ5200-10-ActionFit-Lightweight/dp/B00BB7MS2Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1441662090&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+sports+headphones

Probably decent enough for the gym.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm always a little suspect of Phillips headphones, they tend to lack a little umph in the sound department. Also when I see something described as 'powerful bass' I always get the feeling they are trying to mask the lack of sound quality by juicing up the bass. I'm open to correction on that though.

I'm always a little suspect of Phillips headphones, they tend to lack a little umph in the sound department. Also when I see something described as 'powerful bass' I always get the feeling they are trying to mask the lack of sound quality by juicing up the bass. I'm open to correction on that though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/philips-actionfit-shq5200-review

Ah, should probably give them a miss.

Cheers. I dipped into Harvey Normans today and seen they have a decent selection of Senn's sporty in ears. Didn't have a chance for a proper root but I reckon that is the direction I'll take.
    I think it was a pair of MX 686G SPORTS that I seen cheaper than the monsters but similar specs. So I might go for those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have these and find them great for the gym, they come with a rubber casing that you can wrap around your ear, though I don't know why they don't show this in the pictures, they'd be unusable without them imo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundmagic-E30-BK-SoundMAGIC-E30-Earphones/dp/B005HJ38OO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441891045&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+e30

Can anyone recommend a budget-ish usb soundcard/amp? The headphone socket on my laptop is ****ed.

I have these and find them great for the gym, they come with a rubber casing that you can wrap around your ear, though I don't know why they don't show this in the pictures, they'd be unusable without them imo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundmagic-E30-BK-SoundMAGIC-E30-Earphones/dp/B005HJ38OO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441891045&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+e30

Can anyone recommend a budget-ish usb soundcard/amp? The headphone socket on my laptop is ****ed.

Schiit Fulla might be down your alley.

Lads, before I throw 200 quid at HD25 Aluminium, any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

Lads, before I throw 200 quid at HD25 Aluminium, any other suggestions?

Spend another €100 and get the Momentum 2.0.

ebjarrell wrote: »
    Spend another €100 and get the Momentum 2.0.

Should of said, 200 is my limit, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

Should of said, 200 is my limit, but thanks for the suggestion.

Check head-fi dot org. It's an audiophile forum and it has classifieds. You can get some pretty great deals but what you get will be used. I got my Westone IEMs and Fischer Amp IEMs and Momentums from there.

Also, check out the Audio Technica ATR-MSR7 and the Soundmagic HP150.

• Advertisement

ebjarrell wrote: »
    Check head-fi dot org. It's an audiophile forum and it has classifieds. You can get some pretty great deals but what you get will be used. I got my Westone IEMs and Fischer Amp IEMs and Momentums from there.

Also, check out the Audio Technica ATR-MSR7 and the Soundmagic HP150.

I always forget about the classifieds there! I'll have a good look tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Tried the Hifiman HE 4400s, HE 400i and HE 560s today in HifiHut on the Red cow.

The 400s was decent, the 400i was fantastic and the 560 blew my mind.

I cant get the sound of the HE560s out of my head, they were amazing (and i already own quite a few pairs of headphones), i just need to rob a small bank now (or save).

Anybody else tried these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

My AT AD ATH 700s have seen better days and quite a few less dings.

Looking for a set of open or semi open cans as opposed to AT M50s which I find the clamping force a bit too uncomfortable on my jaw under ear to wear as often as I like. Will be worn mostly at a pc.

Any suggests in €100-€150 ballpark.

Am happy enough with analytical Audio Technicas but would be happy enough to try something new too.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Try the Hifiman He 400s. they are 299 though so may stretch the budget.

Otherwise Grado SR 80s are 126 at Hifihut. I have the 225s (Euro 250) which are pretty good but you should try them out first.

Just an update, I picked up a pair of Monster iSports the other day as I seen they were reduced in price, they are pretty great.
    Sound is excellent although there'll be another few hours of use before they finally settle.
    They aren't ear buds, so you don't get that inner ear uncomfort after a while. They are a bit strange to put on the first couple of time as you wonder if they are actually on properly. But once they are on properly, they dont move, i've done loads of jiggling and bouncing to try get them to move from my ear but no movement yet.
    Very happy with these so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just an update, I picked up a pair of Monster iSports the other day as I seen they were reduced in price, they are pretty great.
    Sound is excellent although there'll be another few hours of use before they finally settle.
    They aren't ear buds, so you don't get that inner ear uncomfort after a while. They are a bit strange to put on the first couple of time as you wonder if they are actually on properly. But once they are on properly, they dont move, i've done loads of jiggling and bouncing to try get them to move from my ear but no movement yet.
    Very happy with these so far.

I find some of these uncomfortable and the tiny in ear ones that go into your earhole always fall out (i think I might have big earholes)... Do you think the fitting mechanism might suit me?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I find some of these uncomfortable and the tiny in ear ones that go into your earhole always fall out (i think I might have big earholes)... Do you think the fitting mechanism might suit me?

It should, there are 3 different sizes that you get with the headphones, and i think the guide says that they will fit all ears.
    I thought at first they didn't fit me after trying them all out, but they are nice and snug after settling on the correct size.

I've got a complaint against the iSports. Cable is too short :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

HD600 or HE400s? Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deano77777

Thinking of getting started on vinyl and getting a decent turntable and speakers.
    Would the Rega RP1 and Audioengine A5+ speakers be a good choice.

Also what phono should I get and would I need a amp where these speakers.

Advertisement