Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

I have a pair of Moondrop Starfields for sale in as new condition if anyone is looking for some.

Just upgraded to the 7Hz timeless. All I can say is wow. If anyone is on the fence with them they should go for it. You won't be disappointed.

It's one of those rare occasions where the hype is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oof

Confession by the mastering engineers of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab of using digital masters (DSD) for cutting luxury vinyl releases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I understand why some folks are upset but the reality is there's almost zero music production (in the last 3+ decades) that does not go through a PCM phase somewhere in the chain even when the end release is DSD let alone an analog end format. Vinyl is niche and technically weak with the various limits it imposes on the likes of bass, stereo width, dynamic range, RIAA eq etc. because of it's structure BUT I 100% get people like the character of it, similarly to how I still like DSD with all of it's saturation and distortion (which is kind've tube-like). That doesn't need defending by anyone, you like what you like and the tech be damned but you have to know that you are compounding the remaining issues with digital such as filter distortion and aliasing with those physical limits for Vinyl. No way around that and thinking otherwise was just wishful imho. I presume the advantage someone like MoFi brings is in mastering to respect the limits of the format and mitigate in that master where possible, similar to how we might make digital codec specific masters for MP3 vs. the 'pristine' FLAC/WAV version to compensate for it's gremlins. That hasn't changed, so if the listener's liked the MoFi master better then they shouldn't let the process involved get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Has anyone ever ordered from HiFiHut.ie? I bought a pair of headphones from them online on Monday. The product page stated orders would be dispatched the next working day only the next working day they sent me an email to say that my order was being processed and this message:

Please note we are currently experiencing delays caused by ongoing component shortages and other supply chain issues.

I'm not surprised I haven't heard from them since so definitely won't get a delivery until next week at the earliest. Has anyone had any issues with them? I'm kicking myself for not checking with amazon first as I'd have had them by now for the same cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I did 2 orders with them previously during Covid. One arrived straight away and the other was out of stock (even though the site initially said it was in), but they contacted me very quickly and had no issues cancelling. So not perfect perhaps but good customer care imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Thanks, I was just about to update that I now cancelled the order and they refunded immediately so that was good customer service at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Found them very good to deal with

Items normally have under them if there's a lead time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Any shops in Dublin selling used sacds or dvd-a discs?

Advertisement