Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

People focus a bit too much on bit rates, sample rates etc as a path to better sound quality. Neil Young's Pono project being a great example of this. In reality other factors like dyanamic range are far more important when listening on quality equipment. If a track is "brickwalled" to within an inch of its life (as so much music is nowadays) then on any reasonably good hi fi system it's going to sound sh1t, regardless of the bit rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

What is the usual time between paying for the Xiaoimi Pistons and receiving them?

Is it standard not to have any contact at all from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Morf wrote: »
    What is the usual time between paying for the Xiaoimi Pistons and receiving them?

I waited a looooooooooong time for them , over a month. I'd actually given up on them being lost in the post or whatever but they did arrive eventually so they should turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

ANybody any thoughts on these for using on a tv? £39 for the next hour. If anyone could give me a quick response to sway me either way on them that would be a appreciated as i'm a little clueless on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭emo72

ordered from penon about 2 weeks ago, they just left hong kong. lets see who wins.

emo72 wrote: »
    ordered from penon about 2 weeks ago, they just left hong kong. lets see who wins.

Ordered 12th from ibuygou.

Mine came this morning. So about 2 weeks.

Edit. Ordered 9th of November.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Got a set of the new RHA T10i today - very impressive so far, not yet tried the various tuning filters - just got stuck into the reference filters which were fitted as standard and now commencing sampling different music genres to see how they perform. The metal casing is quite striking and I did think they might feel heavy but so far so good - the real test will be while out walking etc. I do find they need more volume to drive them via my FiiO x3 then either the MA750i's or my Sennheiser IE8's.

Nice recent review and pictures at the following link...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/24/rha-t10i-review-earbuds-that-go-above-and-beyond-to-suit-all-tastes/

they look great. theres a lad selling a pair on adverts. i have ie8s myself so cant justify it.

• Advertisement

Mine came this morning. So about 2 weeks.

Edit. Ordered 9th of November.

That was quick to lose . . .:P

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

they look great. theres a lad selling a pair on adverts. i have ie8s myself so cant justify it.

Definitely too soon to say how they rate versus the IE8's - they've been my favourites for a few years now and I struggle to see how I'd find something to beat them!

Finding it really difficult to get the right earphone to stay in, really annoying - I always use the memory foam tips but with these it just won't stay in, even when it does it's just barely and as such not making a full seal. I'll have to try some of the silicone tips to see if that works... strange when I could get a perfect fit on the MA750s, I'm assuming its the extra weight in these.

Tops marks though to RHA as usual in terms of their packaging, accessories and overall build quality of the product - they really do feel and look like something that should cost at least twice their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

How are the IE8s? I have Etymotic EPT4s and i love them but i wonder if the IE8 is a big step up?

Gheadphone wrote: »
    How are the IE8s? I have Etymotic EPT4s and i love them but i wonder if the IE8 is a big step up?

great. i've went through many types of headphones but these are the only ones i ever kept, then bought a second pair when they came my way cheap. just to be sure.

i use memory foam tips on them ,comply, there pricey, but whats the point of having them if you cant wear them comfortably and get a good seal.

scubadevil is having a problem getting the T10s to fit him, no point in having great sound if you cant get them into your ears and being comfortable. granted im equally sure the IE8s cause fitting trouble for some people too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

great. i've went through many types of headphones but these are the only ones i ever kept

That's how i am with my UM3X's :D for me they're just ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads, does anyone have any suggestions for a closed/portable €200 headphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

marko93 wrote: »

I have been listening with headphones for over 35 years. I currently have the Sennheiser Momentum over the ears and they are superb. However, they are also around €300. Right now, Harvey Norman has the ON ear version for €159.00. If you check out the forum Head-Fi dot org, they have a very good for sale section.

has to be the over the momentum. especially if you are going to use it in the wild. the leather is specially made for outdoors, it sounds great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Try the Monster DNA on-ear in PCWorld.

Also, heard great things about the NAD VISO HP50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Can I join this club?

Proud owner of a set of B&W P7's and a Tidal subscription. I'm listening to music I've known for years but hearing new things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

I am thinking of getting the B&W P5's.

I have a loan of a pair at the moment and love them. I have a couple of options though:

P5 (New)- €260
    P5 (Recertified) - €200
    P5 Series 2 - €300

I was talking to the guy in Cloney and he said the Recertified are basically new, they come with 2 year warranty.

My real question is has anyone heard the Series 2? Are they €100 better than the original?

Would anyone here be interested in buying V-Moda M80s?

Just seeing if there's any interest before I make an ad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Meh, I've heard crazier than that regarding CDs, such as freezing them or (my absolute favourite) polishing them with toothpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That was quick to lose . . .:P

They arrived last Tuesday 10th in the end. Shipped the 18th of November.

Very pleased with them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On Ear in the sales. What is the general consensus?

I'll be using them mostly for walking around town, taking flights... I listen to all sorts of rock music and like a bit of bass.

I'm avoiding the over ear, because they create a weird seal/vacuum over my ear and does something odd to my eardrum... My other option would be B&W P5's, but the price difference is massive and they don't seem to beat the Sennheiser by much in the reviews I've found.

http://en-ie.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On Ear in the sales. What is the general consensus?

I'll be using them mostly for walking around town, taking flights... I listen to all sorts of rock music and like a bit of bass.

I'm avoiding the over ear, because they create a weird seal/vacuum over my ear and does something odd to my eardrum... My other option would be B&W P5's, but the price difference is massive and they don't seem to beat the Sennheiser by much in the reviews I've found.

http://en-ie.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear

I would prefer these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIeCPQyxjcs , if going on-ear.

colossus-x wrote: »
    I would prefer these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIeCPQyxjcs , if going on-ear.

Are you going purely by what Tyll said or do you have them yourself? They look pretty cool!

• Advertisement

Are you going purely by what Tyll said or do you have them yourself? They look pretty cool!

Good point - well I find the momentum's on ear very uncomfortable. I tried the on and over ear in harvey normans recently. You can see there is virtually no cushioning where the headband meets the top of the head. So a definite no for me on those regardless of sound quality. But your right I haven't tried the Koss myself. I would just trust Tyll on that one.

Advertisement