Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Rega is a great turntable make but I'd be inclined to go for passive i.e. not powered speakers & a good amp. Plenty of decent integrated ones have a built in phono stage but if not Nad do well regarded separate ones for about €100 or so. Not exactly sure what to recommend after that as I haven't really looked too closely at the market for a few years. Do you have a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deano77777

Custardpi wrote: »
    Rega is a great turntable make but I'd be inclined to go for passive i.e. not powered speakers & a good amp. Plenty of decent integrated ones have a built in phono stage but if not Nad do well regarded separate ones for about €100 or so. Not exactly sure what to recommend after that as I haven't really looked too closely at the market for a few years. Do you have a budget in mind?

Why do you think passive ones would be better. I keep hear really good reviews on these Audioengine speakers.
    I think I'll be spending around €700.
    But I might also get a cd receiver and go to €900

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

deano77777 wrote: »
    Why do you think passive ones would be better. I keep hear really good reviews on these Audioengine speakers.
    I think I'll be spending around €700.
    But I might also get a cd receiver and go to €900

I have the A2 and was ready to buy the A5+ and was put off after reading some reviews.
    Rokit and Yamaha had better quality speakers in the same range, just not as nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

HD600 or HE400s? Any opinions?

No comparison in my opinion. The HD600 should be compared to the HE400s which are more expensive.

i've just bought the HE560s and they are fantastic.

However you should try the Hifimans before you buy (if you are close to Dublin), they are planar dynamic and sound a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Listening Suite in Dublin, which will be familiar to some here, have some deals on ex demo and trade in items. If anyone wants Sennheiser HD800 headphones, €700 is a good price. I bought mine there a couple of years back at €1199 if memory serves.

The matching amplifier, also a trade in is there at €1199 at present. I would be tempted by that if I had the funds to hand.

http://thelisteningsuite.ie/special-offers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭grumpynerd

Im looking for some decent noise cancelling headphones. Can someone suggest some options? Just for music, not games or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I've a pair of bose soundtrue ultra earphones that have finally broken on me. Is anyone familiar with Bose's warranty?

See I used to go through a pair of earphones every month or two so I decided to splurge and go for ones that would last. I've had them about 11 months now. Does anyone know if Bose will replace earphones damaged by general wear and tear? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I think I've gotten the bug. My first good headphones were the Sennheiser On Ear Momentums and they blew my mind. I just got a pair of HD598 C's and while they're good, they didn't give me the wow factor that the Momentum's did. Any ideas what headphones would be a measurable upgrade from the Momentums?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Lads I think I've gotten the bug. My first good headphones were the Sennheiser On Ear Momentums and they blew my mind. I just got a pair of HD598 C's and while they're good, they didn't give me the wow factor that the Momentum's did. Any ideas what headphones would be a measurable upgrade from the Momentums?

HD600/650 then HD800.
    The latter cured my upgraditis a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

PPC wrote: »
    HD600/650 then HD800.
    The latter cured my upgraditis a few years ago.

As above HD800 should cure any future pangs. The problem is the layout for the phones and they can be very picky on amp pairing. So you will most likely have to fork out big for this too.

You can pick up a pair of HD600's for decent enough price now and plenty second hand. You're still going to need a fair bit of power to amp them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

limnam wrote: »
    As above HD800 should cure any future pangs. The problem is the layout for the phones and they can be very picky on amp pairing. So you will most likely have to fork out big for this too.

You can pick up a pair of HD600's for decent enough price now and plenty second hand. You're still going to need a fair bit of power to amp them though.

I've never used an amp before. Does it make a big difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I've never used an amp before. Does it make a big difference?

For cans like the hd600/800 there's no point using them without an amp.

A world of difference.

If you go for something like a Grado in the similar price bracket you'll get away without an amp but they're a completely different sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

limnam wrote: »
    For cans like the hd600/800 there's no point using them without an amp.

A world of difference.

If you go for something like a Grado in the similar price bracket you'll get away without an amp but they're a completely different sound.

A fair warning, Momentums and Grados are on verrrrry different spectrum's. Both have their strengths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

What would be a good set of on ear headphones to pair with a HTC 10 ?. I currently listen indoors on a pair of hd800's connected to a graham slee solo srgii which gets its input from an oppo ha1. So I know with the dac on the htc 10, I'm not going to get compatible sound quality but not willing just yet to go through the inconvenience of a separate usb-c external dac (although considering the dragonfly red :)). However I can't stand earbuds so I really need a pair of undorky looking on ears I can wear outside and committing which will improve on the stock phones (although I have to say the included high-res buds with the 10 'aint bad). Budget up to 400 euro. Noise cancellation optional. I listen to uncompressed tracks off the microsd card and occasionally stream from tidal. Ta.

I finally got a set of Venture Electronics Monk Plus earbuds.

Holy crap, they do not sound like they cost $5 - maybe 10x that!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I finally got a set of Venture Electronics Monk Plus earbuds.

Holy crap, they do not sound like they cost $5 - maybe 10x that!

I thought they were pretty great, that is for the 15 minutes I could keep them in my ear before they started to hurt :(

marko93 wrote: »
    I thought they were pretty great, that is for the 15 minutes I could keep them in my ear before they started to hurt :(

I got the Extra bits pack, fits me well with ear fins + foam.

Maybe you could try Fiio EM3?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I got the Extra bits pack, fits me well with ear fins + foam.

Maybe you could try Fiio EM3?

I think I'll re-order but this time with the extras pack. Out of my amp at the time, they were far better than they had right to be :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've just bought the audioquest dragonfly red.

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »
    I've just bought the audioquest dragonfly red.

What headphones will you be using with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

marko93 wrote: »
    What headphones will you be using with it?

Mainly Xiaomi piston 3 on my commute to work. Very good and excellent value.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/06/10-bargains-for-the-wannabe-audiophile/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I picked up a pair of bowers and wilkins p7 today and paired with my HTC 10 they sound great.. I was wondering if there's a high quality sound Bluetooth adapter that would make the phones wireless? I'm aware there's a wireless version but didn't want to buy new.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've received Thinksound ON2 from recent drop on Massdrop. These are sick looking headphones and they sound even better. Delighted that I've got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

My favourite set of headphones i have bar none.

419939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

419939.jpg

The day I'm getting those is close :)

You will not be disappointed. Makes listening to music even more of a pleasure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Have had my 650's for years, since I got married 6 years ago they've only left the attic once. Miss them, incredible headphones. Plus, they're made in Ireland :)

Indeed they are. How come you don't use them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Indeed they are. How come you don't use them?

The headphone amp and cables are just too much mess for my wife to deal with, I already have enough tech surrounding me :) I could never part with them either. I think I will bring them down this weekend for a treat..

Advertisement