Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I found the M50X's bass to be very muddy. Have looked at a few reviews of the 579's and they are all positive. Nice punchy bass compared to a lot of the other Sennheisers in that price range. They are only 50 ohms too.

If you're ever looking for a nice good priced headphone amp in the future i have the one below. Fantastic value i found. Half volume would blast your ears off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-M3-Powered-Decoder-Black/dp/B019Y5TR6O/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ATJCHC6ZDTPD5KH9FTTN

I am very tempted by the 579s at that price. Only thing holding me back is they’re open back and not sure the better half would appreciate me on the laptop with noise leakage when she’s trying to watch TV. I’ve used an SMSL amp for speakers in the past and found them great so that looks ideal.

I’ll wait to the weekend and if they’re still on offer and in stock in my local Argos i think I’ll pick them up. The DT 770s will have to wait until next payday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Aye. Open back are great but not for anyone other than the person using them. 75 for the 579's is a good deal though.

Aye. Open back are great but not for anyone other than the person using them. 75 for the 579's is a good deal though.

Said i'd check argos to see if they had any stock and saw they were further reduced tp €69.99. I took that as a sign so reserved a pair, just picked them up. Haven't got to test them out yet

t2HzvGHm.jpg

Apologies for the curious cat.

Excellent. Tell me how they sound when you burn them in.

Spent a few hours with the 579s the last few days. Have to say overall I'm delighted with them, give a really nice full sound. Bass is decent but doesn't overwhelm. Biggest problem is the cable, comes with a massive 6mm jack which actually goes into my guitar amp nicely and lets me play without wrecking everyones head but when you put on the 3mm adapter included its extremely bulky. Not a big deal though, ordered a replacement cable off ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I've been using Sennheiser 598c closed back headphones for over a year and thought they were the business. Last night my brother showed up with these garish looking Monster headphones but when I tried them out they were much better quality than my Sennheiser's. I listened to a few of my favourite songs and heard certain sounds that I've never heard in them before. This was while just listening to Spotify on an iPhone.

With that in mind, what headphones could I get that will be an upgrade on my current Sennheiser's, while still only listening through an iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Lads I've been using Sennheiser 598c closed back headphones for over a year and thought they were the business. Last night my brother showed up with these garish looking Monster headphones but when I tried them out they were much better quality than my Sennheiser's. I listened to a few of my favourite songs and heard certain sounds that I've never heard in them before. This was while just listening to Spotify on an iPhone.

With that in mind, what headphones could I get that will be an upgrade on my current Sennheiser's, while still only listening through an iPhone?

What music do you listen to mostly?

For something that can be powered properly and still sound good on an iPhone I'd look at grado if you listen to a lot of rock/folk/

or buy your brothers :pac:

You can get Bayerdynamic DT 770's in various ohm's. The lower one's would meet your needs. I have the 80ohm version and absolutely love them.

These :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B008POFOHM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515935450&sr=8-4&keywords=dt+770+pro

The only thing i'd miss is the velour earpads. Faux leather doesn't agree with me after a while.

You can get Bayerdynamic DT 770's in various ohm's. The lower one's would meet your needs. I have the 80ohm version and absolutely love them.

These :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B008POFOHM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515935450&sr=8-4&keywords=dt+770+pro

The only thing i'd miss is the velour earpads. Faux leather doesn't agree with me after a while.

Thank man. Is there any specific reason why they're better than the 598c's, since they're actually cheaper than them on Amazon?

limnam wrote: »
    What music do you listen to mostly?

For something that can be powered properly and still sound good on an iPhone I'd look at grado if you listen to a lot of rock/folk/

or buy your brothers :pac:

Mainly Rock and Singer Songwriter type of stuff. Nothing too heavy. I'll check out the Grado's as well, thanks.

• Advertisement

I prefer a more warm sounding headphone which i don't think the 598 Cs are. The DT 770 Pro's i have are very warm and just the right amount of bass. I am a Sennheiser nut but the 598's sound just didn't do it for me. Have a set of HD 650's and love their sound. It's all subjective really. It's a pity there aren't more places you can go to try before you buy.

Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro 250 ohm reduced to just £99 on amazon. Seems a good price. Open backed and will need something to drive them.

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Headphones - 250 OHM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aIZyAbMBN9QPN

Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro 250 ohm reduced to just £99 on amazon. Seems a good price. Open backed and will need something to drive them.

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Headphones - 250 OHM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aIZyAbMBN9QPN

Bargain right there.

Lads what would be needed to drive these on an iPhone?

You'd need an amp or you may aswell just get a basic set. 250ohm's is way too high to justify buying them. You'll be able to use them of course with an iphone but they'd sound the same as a €20 cheapo pair.

Even this doesn't have enough power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Bass-Traveller-Ultra-Portable-Dual-Output/dp/B00X67G77O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516532725&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+headphone+amplifier

They’re open back as well so not suitable for public transport if you commute. Unless you want to piss off everyone on it.

Thanks lads, I only listen to headphones at home but the thought of buying anything other than an amp is a bit daunting, as I just listen to Spotify at the moment.

Do you game at all?

Do you game at all?

Yeah I sold my pc but still game on PS4. Would these be good for that?

You could get something like the Oppo HA 2se, that can connect to your phone/pc etc and drive nearly all headphones up to 400ohm (I think. Going off memory). They’re pricey though, I’d say the Beyerdynamic DT 770s might be a better shout. Closed back and come in a variety of versions.

• Advertisement

I was going to say if you game on a PC you could justify getting an amp and also buy a Modmic so you could use them for gaming on the PC. Best of both worlds instead of buying a crappy gaming headset. That's what i do. Not sure you could with a PS4. The controller wouldn't be able to power them. 50ohm's would be realistic.

And as Ivefoundgod says. Those lower Ohm BD's would be more suitable for you. Or the Sennheiser's.

Thanks lads, would the DT770 32 OHM's be best for an iphone or could I go higher OHM's?

Lower the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Don't suppose anyone in here has experience with the InEar range of IEMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Got myself a pair of Massdrop HD 6XX aka Sennheiser HD650's in Cex store today. They were advertised b grade but that was just because there was no box otherwise they look brand new to me. Price was €175 but I traded in some tech I had no more use for and that meant that all I had to hand over was just €101.

What a find. These things are just superb. I was last year quite disappointed with my first pair of open cans, Phillips X2's and wasn't expecting these to be as good as I was hoping but they so are. Even better I have no high end dac/amp and they sound great just out of my smartphone. My phone does have a dac add-on, but even out of the standard output they sound great. I had thought that without a dac (as they are high impedance) they would sound faint or something but no.

I find them to be very comfortable and a lot lighter than I was expecting. They actually don't feel any more cumbersome that my portable cans. The Massdrop version has a shorter cable and regular sized audio jack which I much prefer.

Well what can I say, the top end Senns really stand up to all the hype and I'm really fussy about sound quality. Couldn't recommend them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

AllForIt wrote: »
    Got myself a pair of Massdrop HD 6XX aka Sennheiser HD650's in Cex store today. They were advertised b grade but that was just because there was no box otherwise they look brand new to me. Price was €175 but I traded in some tech I had no more use for and that meant that all I had to hand over was just €101.

What a find. These things are just superb. I was last year quite disappointed with my first pair of open cans, Phillips X2's and wasn't expecting these to be as good as I was hoping but they so are. Even better I have no high end dac/amp and they sound great just out of my smartphone. My phone does have a dac add-on, but even out of the standard output they sound great. I had thought that without a dac (as they are high impedance) they would sound faint or something but no.

I find them to be very comfortable and a lot lighter than I was expecting. They actually don't feel any more cumbersome that my portable cans. The Massdrop version has a shorter cable and regular sized audio jack which I much prefer.

Well what can I say, the top end Senns really stand up to all the hype and I'm really fussy about sound quality. Couldn't recommend them more.

You should really try to pick up an AMP.

Yea. I use my HD650's through my Marantz separates and the sound is sublime. Love me Senny's.

Have heard a lot about massdrop, is there much savings to be made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Have heard a lot about massdrop, is there much savings to be made?

Yes. In the US I believe the Massdrop version of the HD650 go for $199, which is great. I believe international shipping to Europe is €15. I couldn't swear by that but I'm sure all that info is on their website.

Advertisement