Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Shame they are going to waste. I know what i'd do if i was in your situation. :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads would there be any benefit in upgrading to HD650's when I'm just using them for Spotify on an iPhone 6s? I currently use a pair of HD 598's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads would there be any benefit in upgrading to HD650's when I'm just using them for Spotify on an iPhone 6s? I currently use a pair of HD 598's.

Not really (AFAIK) as the 6s may not be able to drive the 650s to their fullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Complete waste of money.

Something like a Grado SR60/80 Would be much cheaper and could be driven from an iPhone. If you like metal/rock/SS They're an amazing pair of headphones.

Yup. No point upgrading if you're just going to use them with your phone. I sometimes use mine with my Samsung Tab but hook an amp up to them when listening that way. Usually they are hooked up to my Marantz separates.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, in that case I'll have to do some research on amps, as getting a €100 pair of headphones has been a transformative experience, so I'm hoping that taking the next step again will be just as good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Yup. No point upgrading if you're just going to use them with your phone. I sometimes use mine with my Samsung Tab but hook an amp up to them when listening that way. Usually they are hooked up to my Marantz separates.

Yep, I have a hifiman headphone tube amp or also works great with my Yamaha separate. So weak with just the phone

Thanks lads, in that case I'll have to do some research on amps, as getting a €100 pair of headphones has been a transformative experience, so I'm hoping that taking the next step again will be just as good.

This is the one i have. Great yoke.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C2OAANI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for that man. So could I plug my iPhone into it and then play spotify through it or would that still be suboptimal? Sorry for all the questions as I'm very new to audio equipment.

The way i work it when i'm using the tab is power the amp through a usb cable and attach the tab through the supplied usb cable. You can still power them through just the phone but the amp makes all the difference. The lead that comes with the HD650's is very long so i can have the tablet a good bit away from me while listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

docentore wrote: »
    I've received Thinksound ON2 from recent drop on Massdrop. These are sick looking headphones and they sound even better. Delighted that I've got them.

I did not go too far into the Massdrop system but you are obviously familiar with how it works. You may already know about the drop for Sennheiser 6XX headphones, which are the same as the 650's.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?utm_source=Iterable&iterableCampaignId=133070&iterableTemplateId=192996&utm_campaign=reve_v1_%5B%5Burl%5D%5D&mode=guest_open&referer=2GPZXW&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I've own the HD600 headphones but am in the process of selling them now. Had them for a few years connected to an amp and DAC with high bitrate music coming from the PC through USB but I never truly warmed to them. I also have a pair of HD25's which I adore. Great sound and such a versatile pair of cans - use them in the gym, on the bus, gaming, music. Just fantastic and don't require amps

Prezatch wrote:
    I've own the HD600 headphones but am in the process of selling them now. Had them for a few years connected to an amp and DAC with high bitrate music coming from the PC through USB but I never truly warmed to them. I also have a pair of HD25's which I adore. Great sound and such a versatile pair of cans - use them in the gym, on the bus, gaming, music. Just fantastic and don't require amps

How much are you selling the HD600s for?

Prezatch wrote:

I understand the versatility of the HD25s but they are nothing compared to the 600s, unsure how you couldn't warm to them.

A link and price to them would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

tedpan wrote: »
    How much are you selling the HD600s for?

Have a look on adverts.ie

Prezatch wrote:
    Have a look on adverts.ie

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

If anyone is looking for good in depth headphone reviews, this chap is great. Knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpE4nYnzXQFB5uHOZpKZ6Eg

Treated myself to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770's for xmas. Very impressed by them. Not that i need yet another set to add to my collection. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If anyone is looking for good in depth headphone reviews, this chap is great. Knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpE4nYnzXQFB5uHOZpKZ6Eg

I don't know him and I will check him out but for me noone is better than Tyle at innerfidelity.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/InnerFidelity

I have bought 3 headphones over the last 12 years all based on his recommendation, namely the Creative Aurvana Live, the Sony Mdr-1r and the Phillips Fidelio X2. All the headphones were sonically exactly as he described and I love them all.
    Treated myself to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770's for xmas. Very impressed by them. Not that i need yet another set to add to my collection. :D

Nice one. I never realised the comfort of velour pads until I got my X2's last year. I find that comfort is a major factor in the enjoyment one can get from a good set of headphones.

• Advertisement

Definitely. My left ear for some reason is quite sensitive and find a lot of headphone's make it ache after a while. Only pair's i have that don't make it hurt are the Beyerdynamics and my HD 650's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Has anyone used Tube energiser/amps with Stax? I picked up a set of SR-007 MK1s a few years back but it's running off a 323s, their most basic energiser. It's a pretty mismatched pairing quality wise but my intent was to put the effort into one element and upgrade the other later, and it's getting to that time. I'm not ready to make the big jump to something like the Blue Hawaii but I was thinking maybe the Woo GES, I just have always used solid-state amps before and while I think that tube-sound would suit my tastes I want to be sure before even planning an upgrade.
    Thoughts?

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Has anyone used Tube energiser/amps with Stax? I picked up a set of SR-007 MK1s a few years back but it's running off a 323s, their most basic energiser. It's a pretty mismatched pairing quality wise but my intent was to put the effort into one element and upgrade the other later, and it's getting to that time. I'm not ready to make the big jump to something like the Blue Hawaii but I was thinking maybe the Woo GES, I just have always used solid-state amps before and while I think that tube-sound would suit my tastes I want to be sure before even planning an upgrade.
    Thoughts?

Why not bring the cans to somewhere you can try a few amps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

limnam wrote: »
    Why not bring the cans to somewhere you can try a few amps ?

The only place I've seen that carry electrostatic amps are cloney-audio and I think they had Stax only. Anywhere else you'd recommend?

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The only place I've seen that carry electrostatic amps are cloney-audio and I think they had Stax only. Anywhere else you'd recommend?

Didn't realize we still had so little options for this.

Did you give the cloney guys a call? I'd ring them and see what they can do for you or they might be able to put you in touch with someone

I really miss Pete's of Parnell st. Used love going in there as a young lad with my da to check out all the audio stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Any opinions on the Sennheiser HD579s? Argos have them for €73 at the moment. Had been holding off for a while to get ATH M50x or Beyerdynamics DT 770s but these seem to be a great price. I know they're open back though so I'll need to get a set of closed back ones in a few weeks anyway but tempted by these.

Any opinions on the Sennheiser HD579s? Argos have them for €73 at the moment. Had been holding off for a while to get ATH M50x or Beyerdynamics DT 770s but these seem to be a great price. I know they're open back though so I'll need to get a set of closed back ones in a few weeks anyway but tempted by these.

Not heard them myself. I did have a pair of 598cs but i thought the sound was very flat and i love Sennheiser products usually. Have a pair of HD 650's and love them. I tried EQ'ing the 598's but could not get a sound i was happy with so i sold them. I recently got a pair of those Beyerdynamics and they are amazing.

What type of sound do you like? The DT 770's have a nice warm sound which i prefer. If you do go for them make sure you check their ohm rating as there are different versions. I have the 80 ohm pair which are supposed to have the most bass out of all the versions of them. I also used own the M50x's and sold them. I think they are overrated myself. The 770's blow them away imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Not heard them myself. I did have a pair of 598cs but i thought the sound was very flat and i love Sennheiser products usually. Have a pair of HD 650's and love them. I tried EQ'ing the 598's but could not get a sound i was happy with so i sold them. I recently got a pair of those Beyerdynamics and they are amazing.

What type of sound do you like? The DT 770's have a nice warm sound which i prefer. If you do go for them make sure you check their ohm rating as there are different versions. I have the 80 ohm pair which are supposed to have the most bass out of all the versions of them. I also used own the M50x's and sold them. I think they are overrated myself. The 770's blow them away imo.

This will be my first pair of anyway decent headphones. Currently using a turntable with amp and bookshelf speakers but want to get headphones for when I need to keep the volume down. Also hoping to use it with my iPhone and laptop as well. I wouldn’t have a problem gettting a DAC and amp at some point but think for now the 80 ohm version would be best.

I’d be hoping for a neutral enough sound, don’t listen to bass heavy music. Had read the M50x can be a bit bass heavy so looks like the beyerdynamics would be best option for me so. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I found the M50X's bass to be very muddy. Have looked at a few reviews of the 579's and they are all positive. Nice punchy bass compared to a lot of the other Sennheisers in that price range. They are only 50 ohms too.

If you're ever looking for a nice good priced headphone amp in the future i have the one below. Fantastic value i found. Half volume would blast your ears off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-M3-Powered-Decoder-Black/dp/B019Y5TR6O/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ATJCHC6ZDTPD5KH9FTTN

Advertisement