Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Without the URL, I cannot help.
    It's not an issue in a specific thread though?

Happens on every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I like it, easier on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm not adding too much at the moment because I am well aware that change is bad and must shot down at all times.

However I do find the top bar too big. I don't feel the need to search at a moment's notice so I think it could be left at the top rather than following page down. Likewise with seeing my avatar. I love the fact that the top bar follows you but it needs to be less intrusive.

I may be the only for this but I liked being able to see all the forums in one go with the old beta skin. Don't like having to click to see them.

I'm sure I'll find out after this post but do I get a notification of new posts in the followed thread section? Again the old beta had it right with the new post and the flash when there a new post. This also means that it's something else for me to do now when trying to access followed rather being able to click one button. EDIT : You do get notification but again I find to a little jarring and in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Where is the "New Posts" version? Without it I'm lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Out of curiosity, why are people saying it's too bright? It seems to be basically the same colours as the old beta skin.

[edit] Actually just compared the two. The new beta skin is actually darker overall than the old one. Perhaps it's the increased contrast people don't like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

Don't like that sub categories in the menu do not auto expand when you hover over them...you gotta click to expand

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I like! Little too white, give me a black version ill be happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Love it, clean and concise. Makes browsing with a touch screen much easier. Only issue I have is the drop down menu for Rec is cut off at the corner of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tristram wrote: »
    Where is the "New Posts" version? Without it I'm lost.

bookmark http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Type: Bug
    Issue: page up/down buttons have no effect
    Browser & OS: Firefox 13, WinXP
    Screen Resolution: 1366x768

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

This is exactly what boards needs.

Everything is so convenient :D

I think there's a fair bit too much spacing between threads on the home page though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When I resize my browser window the top bar doesn't follow on screen and shoots back to the top. There's too many menu items in it, and it's not responsive enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I like the look and the menu's, but i don't like that it all seems so big. I can only really see 2 posts before having to scroll down.

Type: Design
    Issue: Everything just seems to big. I can only see 2 posts before having to scroll down, which i don't like.
    Browser & OS: Windows 7 32bit / Chrome
    Screen Resolution: 1440x900

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The posts don't resize properly to match me widening/narrowing my browser window which makes it an immediate non-starter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Type: Design
    Issue: I like the over all design, but the header seems a bit big, I know it leaves about the same space as before but because it follows the scroll it seems a little claustrophobic! :pac: Maybe if the 'screen lock' on the header was optional? If that makes sense. Over all though I really like it.
    Browser & OS: Chrome & Win7 [ work laptop ]
    Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 [ work laptop ]

At work so I'll check it out on my Mac when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

mike65 wrote: »

Thanks Mike.

I use a fair few different computers throughout the week. Would be nice if a new posts link could be somewhere nice and easy to click. That's how I stumble across so many boards threads :)

edit: btw i much prefer the old contrast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sometimes I glance through my previous posts, click on the link for them and view how the discussion within a thread has gone on since then. In the beta skin, could do this directly by going onto my profile, searching previous posts and clicking on the links provided there.

But now, with the following thread as an example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79430131 I am unable to continue browsing from the last post I made. It loads up the thread from the OP.

This does not occurr when viewing thanked posts, as I appear to have the option to select the post I made and view that without being directed to the OP of a thread.

Browser: Firefox 13.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Windows 7 Professional
    Running Google Chrome
    Res 1440 * 900

Functionality / usability wise, I like it after a few minutes of playing.

I'd try reducing all margins however, there's way too much whitespace which leads to more scrolling than should be necessary and wastes screen real-estate.

The site footer has been aligned left, it would look much better with a centre alignment imho:
    Advertise on Boards.ie Are You New Here? FAQ Terms of Use Blog About Us Contact Us Copyright © 2000 - 2012 Boards.ie Limited (Hosted by Digiweb Hosting)

Sites: adverts.ie boardsdeals.ie daft.ie rent.ie property.ie thejournal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

When the new skin is implemented, will there be a transfer of the old colour options? I've always preferred the 'evil' skin to regular Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

oooooooooooooooooh shiny :P I like it brings a nice new feel to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The floating header takes up about 1/8th of my screen real estate for no good reason afaics. Is there a way to make it not float?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

+1, I like it! :D

Windows 7 HP 64-bit
    Firefox
    1920x1080

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Its too bright, Like it otherwise, how do i change back , i'm getting a headache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The floating header takes up about 1/8th of my screen real estate for no good reason afaics. Is there a way to make it not float?

Yeah.
    It can be unstuck in the Control Panel -> Edit Options. Down the end of the page is the option to Unstick the header

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Issue: On the drop down menu at the top, for most categories you can get to the 'main' page for the category by clicking on the category name in the drop down. e.g. If you go to Sys->Sys, it'll bring you here.

For the Adverts menu though, if you go to Adverts.ie->Adverts, it's an invalid link that brings you to here, rather than the Adverts homepage as you'd expect.
    Browser & OS: All
    Screen Resolution: n/a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

awec wrote: »
    It's not an issue in a specific thread though?

Happens on every thread.

Still, a URL would be nice - especially since I'm responsible for a piece of javascript that is meant to mitigate this browser retardedness and I cannot reproduce your issue.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Issue: On the drop down menu at the top, for most categories you can get to the 'main' page for the category by clicking on the category name in the drop down. e.g. If you go to Sys->Sys, it'll bring you here.

For the Adverts menu though, if you go to Adverts.ie->Adverts, it's an invalid link that brings you to here, rather than either the Adverts homepage as you'd expect.
    Browser & OS: All
    Screen Resolution: n/a

Tony got in ahead of you with this issue. It's being looked at - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Its too bright, Like it otherwise, how do i change back , i'm getting a headache

Read the first post. All of it.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No problems here, not much different to my existing skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

keane2097 wrote: »
    The posts don't resize properly to match me widening/narrowing my browser window which makes it an immediate non-starter for me.

Same as keane for me!
    Could the whole skin be made scalable like the other boards.ie beta skin, which is the one that I previously used?

Thanks Tony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement