Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

This thread is moving fast so apologies if it was but was this point addressed?

We spent many hours working out a menu system that wasn't going to overwhelm members. What's there is what went through many iterations and usability tests and it was found to be the most functional.

Have you tried navigating using the Omni Search box? Personally, I find it much quicker to just between forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Like the layout, and the functionality.

Must agree with the posters that have said that the white is a bit much however, put this back to the light blue of the original, and you're on a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'll stay with the old one until it's fully ready. Until then, it's looking so shiny and well atm :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do you not think the behaviour is now better that only the image overlaps and doesn't extend the whole post, including quote/thank/edit buttons etc as it does on older styles? :)

With ~20% of the screen space now gone, it doesn't take a large image to overlap it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

The look is good. Clean, sharp and modern or something. But having the search Boards logo there with the search bar and the "Home>Sys>Feedback" below it remain when ya scroll just takes up way too much space and leaves the main page looking tiny. I have ubuntu with a top taskbar so its particularly bad for me. Although I can imagine anyone with IE and a few toolbars to have half their screen taken up.

If you could merge it all into one bar to remain at the top it would be a hell of a lot better. As it it I feel claustrophobic using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

This thread is moving fast so apologies if it was but was this point addressed?

The sheer size of the Boards.ie menu tree, coupled with the increased padding, improved font size and inevitable growth of Boards.ie means that this is no longer an option until screen resolutions shift significantly.

A hover auto-expand was floated as a possible option, but we went with this one instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

The old one is easily better to be honest.

The new one is a bit all over the place, it isn't compatable with the 'pg up' and 'pg dn' buttons on my laptop and it's just generally a bit of an eyesore, I think it's too bright?

I'll stick with the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Boards.ie: Tony looks cute <_<

LordSmeg wrote: »
    The look is good. Clean, sharp and modern or something. But having the search Boards logo there with the search bar and the "Home>Sys>Feedback" below it remain when ya scroll just takes up way too much space and leaves the main page looking tiny. I have ubuntu with a top taskbar so its particularly bad for me. Although I can imagine anyone with IE and a few toolbars to have half their screen taken up.

If you could merge it all into one bar to remain at the top it would be a hell of a lot better. As it it I feel claustrophobic using it.

You can unstick the header. see this post for details - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79431540&postcount=117

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I've switched back. I kept clicking into my profile rather then getting into followed threads and it was driving me crazy.

Another small point is for POTD and TOTD. I liked being about to see the title/poster so that I have some idea before I click into them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you mouse over your Username in the upper right, you'll see Control Panel (and some other useful quicklinks) in the lower half of that menu.

Hope this helps.
    Yup, had seen that. Im just used to using the cp for pretty much everything, and a one click hit would have been nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I like it, much cleaner and modern... but... the white is too much, maybe a hint of blue wouldn't go astray. :o

Edit: Also like the User CP in the top right corner, and the "My Forums" drop down menu is good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Horrendous. It's too bright, it looks clunky (did you buy the reply/quote buttons etc in Toys R Us?) It also looks like a more primative website...like something from the 90's. Oh, and it feels like I've turned on some disability option to make everything larger with a higher contrast.

FYI..for others. The User CP isn't gone...there's just no easily accessable link for it anymore. Just bookmark this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php

So long as I can continue to use the old skin, I don't care. But if you force this new one on us, it will likely result in me using the site less...and I'll stop subscribing.

DO NOT LIKE!! There was nothing wrong with the old design except perhaps the lack of the breadcrumbs feature & the Omni-Search-Navigation feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

FYI..for others. The User CP isn't gone...there's just no easily accessable link for it anymore. Just bookmark this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php

If you hover over your username in the top right you can click into the User CP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

anyone else getting headaches now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

star-pants wrote: »

Or just middle click in most browsers and it'll default to opening your user CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Use %boarders. screenshot at native 2560x1440 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15077165/fullresboards.png shows the huge waste of space at the sides. I don't really like change to layouts ever unless they're completely broken.. I thought the old layout was the most efficient, out of any forum I had used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

star-pants wrote: »

Yup...as I said...not as easily accessable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is the idea to make it look as much like Facebook as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

As someone else posted, it looks like something from the 90's. It's a very unadventurous redesign, bland, boring, nothing new about it. In the age of CSS3 you could have done so much more with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I went to my USERCP to see all the skins available.. When i select the NEW BETA it looks exactly the same as the skin im using.... (The default VBB skin)

Im trying some other skins out...... As long as we can keep the default VBB skin i guess its no big deal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You can unstick the header. see this post for details - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79431540&postcount=117

Disabled sticker header but nothing changed. Its still there.

Also in the My Forum drop down menu beside the username when I scroll over it it just shows "My forums" underneath. There is no actual drop down menu of my forums. And an old peeve of mine was that in the old menu there was no option for "my Threads" which was where I wanted to go more often than not, be handy to have a direct link from the drop down menu. If your setting the drop down menu right perhaps add a link to Latest Posts/My Forums/My Threads as well and the individual forums people have subscribed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've decided that I'll keep it and let you guys work out the bugs. Then in a few months I wont be shocked when it goes live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I like it apart from the massive banner at the top of the screen, feels like I'm using Internet Explorer with a **** ton of useless toolbars on it. Not enough space...

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is the idea to make it look as much like Facebook as possible?

Got that feeling from it, myself, to be honest.

I don't particularly like it. Keep it as it were until it needs to be changed, or at the very least, keep it optional and let us keep the old one if we prefer.

As has been said, between the top of the page scrolling down with you and the empty space at the sides, my 24" monitor looks like a 17" one on boards.ie.

I don't envy those on small laptops.

In saying that, I'm aware that these things take a fair bit of time and effort and nobody likes change (at first), but I do think the sheer amount of dead space is ludicrous (though I suspect you'll start to stick advertisements left right and centre in those spaces?).

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Disabled sticker header but nothing changed. Its still there.
    I tried it there and it worked for me, maybe give the guys your browser etc. details?
    FearDark wrote: »
    I like it apart from the massive banner at the top of the screen, feels like I'm using Internet Explorer with a **** ton of useless toolbars on it. Not enough space...

You can un-sticky it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

The menu selections don't work very well on IPhone Safari.
    I loved the look, but I've changed back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

how to i back to normal, its head wrecking!

The menu selections don't work very well on IPhone Safari.
    I loved the look, but I've changed back.

it really wasn't designed for Mobile devices. touch.boards.ie is there for that.

• Advertisement

davet82 wrote: »
    how to i back to normal, its head wrecking!

It's in the very first post of this thread....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement