Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It looks very clean and laid out better. Although I have found a bug already which is my followed forums list is empty. The skin itself is a bit bright so I'll be looking to change that. Good work though to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Like the new look!

Feedback suggestion: Possible to introduce infinite scrolling? ie scrolling down with load the next page?

You could break the pages with quick Post replies and pages numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...self-expanding sub-menu's (??)....that needs to come back - there are too many sections to have to click through them in the new version.

...I didn't notice the white so much at first, but after a while it is driving my eyes mad.....can you tone it down or something, or a hint of blue.. /

...one little nugget I always thought would be handy would be the opposite to the 'thumbs up/Like' button is a 'thumbs down/DISLIKE' button.

...maybe it's just me, but the search is still......er.....less-than-perfect. I did a search for widely-read thread in Motors (6591 times in fact), and it returned nothing, unless I put the identical word-perfect match for the title. go figure

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Horrendous. It's too bright, it looks clunky (did you buy the reply/quote buttons etc in Toys R Us?) It also looks like a more primative website...like something from the 90's. Oh, and it feels like I've turned on some disability option to make everything larger with a higher contrast.

FYI..for others. The User CP isn't gone...there's just no easily accessable link for it anymore. Just bookmark this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php

So long as I can continue to use the old skin, I don't care. But if you force this new one on us, it will likely result in me using the site less...and I'll stop subscribing.

DO NOT LIKE!! There was nothing wrong with the old design except perhaps the lack of the breadcrumbs feature & the Omni-Search-Navigation feature.

You have to be joking

The old skins have :

• Terrible or non-existent branding
    • No consistency between styles or site modes (e.g. touch)
    • Crazy font size mixtures
    • Terrible, claustrophobic layout starting from the index page moving into threads/forums
    • Severe issues with usability - not least the existence of functions and features all over the place in the most insane places, often duplicated in a similarly crazy place. Ever see the amount of people asking where X is or how to do Y in the Newbies & FAQ forum?
    • Primitive look and feel, the web is a different place from 2001/2002, Boards never moved on - which is why I find your comment about the new design being primitive laughable
    • Many, many other issues I could list, but let's not go into too much depth

Easily accessible User CP link - Hover over your username, click Control Panel. Time taken? ~0.5seconds. Better yet - go to your user control panel from an old style in the middle of a thread; enjoy your scroll to the top of the page ;) New style+sticky header going to the User CP from anywhere not the top of the page = ~0.5seconds. all the time, any time.

The fact there's a minimum and maximum width means that the lines will never get too long, improving readability (at least for me). The contrast increase is only a good thing, and that's coming as a Blue skin user for many years. I'm sure colour scheme changes are in the pipeline, wouldn't mind seeing this skin on a black/gray/darker colour scheme :)

As somebody who's been around Boards a while the skin change is a radical departure. But I've been in touch with a few friends to get them to check it out as non-Boards users and they're already telling me it looks a whole lot more user friendly.

Clearly it's not as bad as you seem to be making out
    galwaytt wrote: »
    ...one little nugget I always thought would be handy would be the opposite to the 'thumbs up/Like' button is a 'thumbs down/DISLIKE' button.

That little nugget has been shot down a few times here in Feedback. In any case, probably not the place for feature requests :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Max Power1 wrote: »
    So it doesnt work on IE7 I see... seeing as the majority of boards surfing is (id imagine) office workers, thats unfortunate!

Can Boards really expect to cater for an ancient browser that is IE7. Its a pain in the arse to write websites for compared to Chrome/IE9/FF/Opera etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 shn525

cormee wrote: »
    As someone else posted, it looks like something from the 90's. It's a very unadventurous redesign, bland, boring, nothing new about it. In the age of CSS3 you could have done so much more with it.

And you didn't think it looked 90s before why? That was aesthetically straight outta the box vBulliten.

Read through this whole thread. See how people fly into conniptions when anything changes in the slightest, get genuinely upset about something when they won't even remember the old version after two days and you'll realise why developers have to take a painstakingly conservative approach. The unwashed masses just can't handle anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It needs a link to New Posts and User CP. Apart from that I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Disappointed with the lack of subbed threads button in the top right hand corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hal1 wrote: »
    It looks very clean and laid out better. Although I have found a bug already which is my followed forums list is empty. The skin itself is a bit bright so I'll be looking to change that. Good work though to all involved.

Screenshot and other information please - see the first post for a suggested template for a bug report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Loving the new look (: So far everything seems to be working fine, and it was easy to find out where everything was (or I'm just a fast learner ;) ) It looks so much more modern and fancy :D Will post if I come across any issues. Also I'm using Opera, and its Boards.ie is working perfect for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Quazzie wrote: »
    It needs a link to New Posts and User CP. Apart from that I like it.

There's a link to user CP if you hover over your username in the top right hand corner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is there a Netbook mode?

star-pants wrote: »
    There's a link to user CP if you hover over your username in the top right hand corner :)
    I'm a lazy hoor, that hovering is too much effort :P.
    Seriously though I'm on a PC now but I'd imagine that hovering is a PITA when I'll be on my laptop later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm going to agree that it's just a bit too big. I managed to get through two pages of this thread with it and then decided to run them side by side for a page. The difference is staggering. I'd say you fit 40% more on screen in the old skin than the new. There's a lot of wasted space. The line where a post's thanks is displayed is massive compared to the text. Unnecessary I would have thought. Little (or should I say big) things like that.

Other than that, it's not too bad at all and I'd say I could get used to using it. The header does make it feel a little bit cramped. I'm quite happy to just hit the home button to fly up to my header normally. The functionality of the new header without it following you mightn't be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

its a bit like politicians, they tell you what they want you to hear you tell them but they never hear, nothing changes back to the good old days,

are you going to eat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

We fear change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Some people on here remind me of this...
    facebook-changes-in-a-nutshell-27789-1316718340-9-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Type: Design/Other
    Issue: Attached two screenshots. My first impression issues are:

Capture 1:

1. I clicked on the notification for update to followed thread. This is what appeared. The boards header is actually obstructing the info of the posters name and quoted text, so I had to scroll up to find out what the reply was in relation to.

2. The notification remains in the top right; I understand I have not yet read every post, but surely clicking into it should disable it, at least until I have left the thread? It seems stupid and obnoxious, and I think I would wind up unfollowing threads or skipping pages just to remove these numbers in future. Just looking at this screencap in general, the lack of continuity with terms to font size is frustrating; posts/ boards logo look too big compared to the user CP in the top right/ breadcrumbs.

3. Ridiculous amount of blank space here.

4. As above.

5. Buttons look too blocky/ugly for my liking. Looks too formal and corporate.

Capture 2:

After hitting reply to this thread, I noticed the first post below required horizontal scrolling to read it all, in spite of the obnoxious blank space as indicated above. Surely it should be flush with the topic review section, regardless of size of post it is quoting?

Browser & OS: Firefox 13.0.1, Windows 7 64 bit

Screen Resolution: 1080p: 1920 x 1080/ 1360 x 768

ETA: Also concurring with the general consensus that the page is too bright. Was previously using the old beta and found it much friendlier on the eyes.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Disappointed with the lack of subbed threads button in the top right hand corner.

Hover your username, click Followed Threads. Added complexity - A 100ms hover :) Bonus with the new way? Cleaner menu bar :)

Max Power1 wrote: »
    So it doesnt work on IE7 I see... seeing as the majority of boards surfing is (id imagine) office workers, thats unfortunate!

I think the more unfortunate thing is that there are still people viewing the web in IE7. IE7 accounts for 2.65% of the Boards.ie traffic, and has been decreasing steadily month on month. For the added effort of making the new style IE7 compatible, we were looking at a significant increase in development time. For 2.65% of the users it just doesn't make sense. I'd have loved to drop IE8 support too, but the numbers for that are significantly higher. It wasn't that painful to make work in IE8 either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I don't like the floating banner and it isn't obvious how to unstick it. If unlimited scrolling was introduced then the bar would be needed, but I can either just click on my bookmark bar to get back to boards.ie or just scroll up to the top in about 2 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Page buttons on the bottom left are bigger -> less mistaken ad clicks on iPhone.

That's all I ever wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

can you unstick the baanner?

will it come in black

do ye really want feedback or just to explain how it will be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm a lazy hoor, that hovering is too much effort :P.
    Seriously though I'm on a PC now but I'd imagine that hovering is a PITA when I'll be on my laptop later.

It's not actually that bad (I'm on a laptop) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Lia_lia wrote: »
    How do I get my purple skin back?!

hoover over yer name then menu then down to user cp then forum appearance then purple then save

nkay1985 wrote: »

Other than that, it's not too bad at all and I'd say I could get used to using it. The header does make it feel a little bit cramped. I'm quite happy to just hit the home button to fly up to my header normally. The functionality of the new header without it following you mightn't be a bad thing.

Functionality exists. Check the box for "Disable Sticky Header" in your Edit Options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Hover your username, click Followed Threads. Added complexity - A 100ms hover :) Bonus with the new way? Cleaner menu bar :)

Don't see the advantage, it just desimplifies the process and increases the time spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I hope you're not getting rid of the "old beta"...by far the best skin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Very nice.
    Loving the drop down menus with the user name and threads followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It's too bright.

• Advertisement

Another thing. On the old layout, if I made my browser half the width of my skin, or even smaller again the text used to conform to my browser size. Now I'm constantly browsing left and right trying to read posts. This is a BIG issue for me as 90% of my browsing is done in a minimized browser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement