Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hmmmm. I am hmmm about it. I like shiney new things, but it is a smidgin confusing. Perhaps whence I have been using it a wee while all will be normal. Also Herro to the new Boards worker o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

how do I put it back?

(btw, I'll be closing my account if it ends up like that)

The link is right at the bottom of Dav's post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The My Forums is in the header now, to the left of the screen (beside your username)

You mean right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Dav wrote: »
    Button Positions - The buttons around the site have been repositioned to make them more consistent. When reply, the reply button will always be on the right, and have the primary action colour (in this case blue). Everywhere on the site, when there are multiple buttons, the primary action for the group is always the button in blue.
    It's on the left for threads :)

As for the rest, it'll probably take a few days to get used to, but there's some stuff I know I'll like already, particularly the 'My Forums' quick link.

[edit] Actually, where it shows my username and the number of notifications, why does the link go to my profile? I would have thought it would make much more sense to link to the notifications instead, I don't think I ever need to look at my own profile directly.

Bug: My Forums dropdown does not show upon mouseover.

Mac OSX Lion & Firefox 13.0.1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The lack of "new posts" link is a no-no (unless its there but I can't see it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Totally agree about it being too bright too. Just switched back to the old layout and it's just so much nicer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

if it aint broke

That's always been my motto.

Which is why I still have my damn sexy mullet and my living room is as it has always been, since I bought the place back in '81.

5903951-Living_room_of_the_80s_Hoorn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ill be sticking to my trusted "Blue" skin for as long as I can,

sorry I dont like it at all, too white and has a gnome 3 feel about it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Few things more I notice:

-There is no visible Subscribed threads link
    -I can no longer click the thread title at the top to bring me back to the start of the thread (Or to right click and copy link to send to someone)
    -Sitting back and taking a second look, it looks massive, like as if I'm browsing the Touch forum on my Desktop (Just so used to the touch but don't like it for desktop)
    -when you are editing a post, I usually hit TAB then Enter to post it, but now submit post has been replaced with Preview, so it means if I Tab and Enter, then close the tab, that post will never actually be posted

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

mike65 wrote: »
    The lack of "new posts" link is a no-no (unless its there but I can't see it)

Same

I like the new layout and all but I would really really miss the new post link, plus it helps to spot spammers and general stuff I wouldn't probably never think of clicking on

But if there is a different way of doing it I am sure I would get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Type: Missing feature
    Issue: Dont see the 'new posts' tab
    Browser & OS: Vista. Firefox
    Screen Resolution: 1280x800

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

s_carnage wrote: »
    Totally agree about it being too bright too. Just switched back to the old layout and it's just so much nicer.

Same, I like the new layout but the white backgrounds are way too bright. If I could darken those backgrounds then I'd stick with it. Going back to previous.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like it.

Only issue is that the auto-scroll when you open a previously read thread isn't perfect. By that I mean it scrolls you to the first unread post, but I've found that it tends to scroll a bit too far and part of the first unread post is covered by the floating header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Looks great. The only thing I would like to change is that the "Followed Threads" section would have it's own designated link button rather than having to use the drop down. (like the old "user cp" link)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I agree everything is TOO BIG. Clunky like. The old skin was more streamlined. Make things smaller and it might look nice but at the mo nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

One small thing. In the old beta when you hover over the categories at the top it gave you the full list of forums and their sub-forums. Now when you hover over the categories you only get the main forums and you have to click down to get to the sub-forums. Can this be changed to how it was previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

The 'Tech' category is missing from the header at the top of the site..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The biggest issue for me is that it looks so big and spaced out. I don't like the big gap between all the posts in threads.

I also don't like that there's no "User CP" button to go to your subscribed threads without having to go to the drop down menu. But I'm just lazy :o

The subforums not expanding in the dropdown list is also a bit annoying.

Otherwise it's not bad. I never used the Beta skin but the Search bar is definitely a huge positive.

Edit: That gap between the posts appears to have disappeared :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looks fine to me, I feel like a noob right now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Not a problem just an observation. When looking at the categories the main forums could be chunkier and bolder. When looking at rec with a few of the drop downs open its hard on the eyes to tell what is what. Not such a problem for the old timers but new people could find it off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Has there been more padding an margins added or something? I'm trying to figure out why it all looks so big. Maybe it's just all the white space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sorry, have to switch back.. it's too big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Nuno wrote: »
    The 'Tech' category is missing from the header at the top of the site..

What Res are you running your browser at?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would agree with the poster who said it comes with a lot of screen waste. Other than that it is fine as most of the smaller issues seem to have been ironed out over the past few weeks.

I think once a person gives it a chance for a few days, they soon get used to the layout. I hated it the very first time I changed over to it, but now I have grown used to it, gotten used to where everything is on it, and as a result am now fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

how do i go back to old style?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I was going to add to the call for less space between posts but I noticed it just changed, much better :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

The biggest issue for me is that it looks so big and spaced out. I don't like the big gap between all the posts in threads.

I also don't like that there's no "User CP" button to go to your subscribed threads without having to go to the drop down menu. But I'm just lazy :o

The subforums not expanding in the dropdown list is also a bit annoying.

Otherwise it's not bad. I never used the Beta skin but the Search bar is definitely a huge positive.

Edit: That gap between the posts appears to have disappeared :confused:

That gap was a gremlin that got in at launch. It's been killed now! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement