Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Prison Service Jobs - PASO 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Not sure about paso3 but I hear they had a dire response for eo grade paso2 posts and are even begging those that appied buit didn't bother to interview to take the jobs. I heard this from someone who was asked.when people realise they have no flexi time and actually have to resing as civil servants nooone wants to do that.
    Paso are leaving the jails not happy at all. Full amount of nornal prison staff still working with them. The new agreement qants them working in other aeas of prison taking over fron po s detail keys office etc . We all guessed that would happen so much for no contact witg prisoners

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

I know someone that done the interview and they told me 40 went for interview for the paso 2 and there was supposed to be around 22 posts. They were placed on the panel but i think they are finding it hard to fill the vacancies in the dublin prisons. They are being sent for a medical and hearing test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

cordub wrote: »
    Paso are leaving the jails not happy at all. Full amount of nornal prison staff still working with them. The new agreement qants them working in other aeas of prison taking over fron po s detail keys office etc . We all guessed that would happen so much for no contact witg prisoners

Your correct in what you say about PASO leaving the jails in there droves Why, I'm not too sure?
    However, YOU DO NOT have contact with prisoners in the same regard as the Prison Officer. Detailed to Keys Office, might be one position, Where you MIGHT see a prisoner but not have any contact with them.But I have yet to see a PASO in any other area of the jail other than the General Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

LoanShark wrote: »
    Your correct in what you say about PASO leaving the jails in there droves Why, I'm not too sure?
    However, YOU DO NOT have contact with prisoners in the same regard as the Prison Officer. Detailed to Keys Office, might be one position, Where you MIGHT see a prisoner but not have any contact with them.But I have yet to see a PASO in any other area of the jail other than the General Office.
    They work in the stores in WF alongside 3-4 prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dubhlinn1972

They work in stores, often on their own, with prisoners. Also in general office you are dealing with prisoners going in and out on TR every day. This 'non-contact' thing is a total sham and is accepted as such by PASO 3's at this stage.

• Advertisement

LoanShark wrote: »
    WE Also have paso working alone with prisoners in the stores, i was also talking about the NEW croke park aggreement where paso will be more intergrated in the prison system, am betting you will see them on the front gate and reception areas in the future :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrCelt

Hi all

I was just wondering when recruitment will start to BE a prison officer and NOT clerrical officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

MrCelt wrote: »
    Hi all

I was just wondering when recruitment will start to BE a prison officer and NOT clerrical officer.

Not anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arniesz

Hi all,
    Has anyone who was successful in the PASO1 interviews which took place in February 2013 been appointed to prisons yet, or done the training fitness test??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

I know of someone that got the paso 1 and has been called for training on 10th may and i hear the paso 2 have started this week.anyone else any update ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Back2work

To those of you who took up the PASO 3 Roles, could you please advise if you like the roles and what your general duties are? They are currently running a new campaign for PASO 3 and I was wondering if applying would be a good idea

Back2work wrote: »
    To those of you who took up the PASO 3 Roles, could you please advise if you like the roles and what your general duties are? They are currently running a new campaign for PASO 3 and I was wondering if applying would be a good idea

As an observer the paso 3 grade does a lot of work for a minimal wage i for see the job description widening as time goes on . They say u dont have contact with prisoners but thats not true and more contact with prisons is def on the cards, so u are working alongside real prison officers getting half the pay and half the holidaysand no additional hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Back2work wrote: »

Where is this being advertised .I haven't seen anything on public jobs .Tis okay I looked again and found it. Thanks for heads up anyway

Where is this being advertised .I haven't seen anything on public jobs .Tis okay I looked again and found it. Thanks for heads up anyway

i see yr in munster be aware that if u take a job outside of cork i will be years before there are vacancies down south ALSO the prison service will be having a recruitment soon for prison officers

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

PSAO 3 Supervised Tests notification has been sent out today. I wonder is there many going for this? I thought it would have been an online test and then supervised tests as per other PAS competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 36 system_538781

I got the same invitation. Still unsure about the actual duties of a PASO grade 3. I'll give the tests a shot anyways. I have no interest in becoming a prison officer so I want to be sure this is clerical only.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

system wrote: »
    I got the same invitation. Still unsure about the actual duties of a PASO grade 3. I'll give the tests a shot anyways. I have no interest in becoming a prison officer so I want to be sure this is clerical only.

Its clerical only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

wexfjord wrote: »
    Its clerical only.

prepare to have interaction with prisoners on some level

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ***HAPPYDAYS***

Hi there , aptitudes on in Dublin 8.45am and I'm from limerick , does anyone know if there is much opportunity for a position to arise in limerick ? TIA 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

hi all, I am a current serving PASO 3 in IPS, DM me any questions you have about the role. I will only answer in private messages. Best of luck to all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 tonyrich1

Can anyone tell me the pay scale for prison officers as being currently recruited??

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

tonyrich1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the pay scale for prison officers as being currently recruited??
    There aren't any PO's big recruited at the moment.
    Supposedly a campaign will run before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Basic starts at €22,677 before allowances. More details in the booklet at https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/33636.htm

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

That's an unbelievably crap starting salary. For the job and all the hassle it entails that's seriously underpaid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

italodisco wrote: »
    That's an unbelievably crap starting salary. For the job and all the hassle it entails that's seriously underpaid

Ye, I know there're various allowances on top, but it's still a ridiculously low salary for the job. I'd advise anyone going for it to do their sums very carefully to see if they'll be financially secure.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tonyrich1

italodisco wrote: »

Was just thinking that myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Sorry Tony.... just announced today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

Buffman wrote: »
    Ye, I know there're various allowances on top, but it's still a ridiculously low salary for the job. I'd advise anyone going for it to do their sums very carefully to see if they'll be financially secure.

With the allowances and mandatory additional hours of up to 360 hours the salary works out a lot higher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

danjob1987 wrote: »
    With the allowances and mandatory additional hours of up to 360 hours the salary works out a lot higher

Overtime is extra work and not part of a salary. Also anyone entering would more than likely start on 112.

Salary, Sunday Allowance, Operational Allowance. No mention of Rent Allowance in the PDF either.

• Advertisement

Overtime is extra work and not part of a salary. Also anyone entering would more than likely start on 112.

Salary, Sunday Allowance, Operational Allowance. No mention of Rent Allowance in the PDF either.

They aren't getting rent A llowence anymore. Plus

Advertisement