Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Prison Service Jobs - PASO 3

Options
  • 23-06-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hey all,

Has anyone else appied for the civilian posts in the Prison Service. I applied a few months ago & did the interview on Wednesday & was wondering if anyone else has gone through them or can tell me anything about the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Hi

I applied also and had the interview on Thursday. Made a mess of the interview so i don't fancy my chances. All the details of the job are below.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/3783/booklet.htm;jsessionid=F11BE1FB544D715DCC8555F741E675B0

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Did you hear back yet? I got an email yesterday saying I'm through to the medical & the meducal worries me more due to the fitness part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭shawmor

kiersm wrote: »
    Did you hear back yet? I got an email yesterday saying I'm through to the medical & the meducal worries me more due to the fitness part of it
    Hi,
    I also got an email saying that I passed the interview. Any idea on when medical will be?

I got an email today detailing the fitness test etc & bout getting my audiogram done. It didn't give a date but it said the audiogram is to be done in tthe next two weeks

I got an email today detailing the fitness test etc & bout getting my audiogram done. It didn't give a date but it said the audiogram is to be done in tthe next two weeks
    Yeah I got mine today also. Not looking forward to any of it!! It did say in the circular that the physical would be at the end of training, I wonder why they changed this?

• Advertisement

To be honest, I don't know why we have to do such a physical. I'm not looking to be a prison officer. I'm a co & don't see why we have to do this. Im really not looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

To be honest, I don't know why we have to do such a physical. I'm not looking to be a prison officer. I'm a co & don't see why we have to do this. Im really not looking forward to it

You have to do it because you will be working in a prison and will come in contact with prisoners in the course of your duties, this requires you to have certain training which will require a certain level of fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Permission to ask a question ?

What is a grade PASO 3 ? I've not heard of this before :confused:

Delancey wrote: »

It's a new grade that's been introduced for administration and support.

I'm not looking forward to the medical as I'm sick at the moment! Physical I may get training for!

You have to do it because you will be working in a prison and will come in contact with prisoners in the course of your duties, this requires you to have certain training which will require a certain level of fitness.

Totally agree that you would need a certain level of fitness regardless of if you work in the office or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Its a new grade in the service. It for administration and support staff. The previous clerical positions in the service were filled by serving officers. As a means of cutting salary costs this new grade was created. The plan is to redeploy the current clerks back into the main prisons and replace them with these new support officers.

The positions were advertised a while ago but were only open to existing civil servants.

I understand you need a certain level of fitness as you're working in a prison but I'm not too sure bout what they're expecting. In all honesty we're office staff not prison officers!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I understand you need a certain level of fitness as you're working in a prison but I'm not too sure bout what they're expecting. In all honesty we're office staff not prison officers!!

And here in lies the problem. It's the same with the nurses, fooking worse than useless, they never have and never will consider themselves PO's.
    The medics where always PO's first and medics second, same with the clerks.

A nurse officer walked by a PO rolling in the yard with a dirtbird and just continued up to the hub to another officer and said "your colleague is in trouble below" then walked on to his lunch. This happened in the medical unit and I know the officers involved.

These new grades are yellow packs by another name and they will be in control rooms, key rooms, waiting rooms etc within a year. All the non confrontational posts. No offence to these folks but they are not and never will be PO's but management will treat them as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Rawhead wrote: »
    And here in lies the problem. It's the same with the nurses, fooking worse than useless, they never have and never will consider themselves PO's.

A nurse officer walked by a PO rolling in the yard with a dirtbird and just continued up to the hub to another officer and said "your colleague is in trouble below" then walked on to his lunch. This happened in the medical unit and I know the officers involved.

These new grades are yellow packs by another name and they will be in control rooms, key rooms, waiting rooms etc within a year. All the non confrontational posts. No offence to these folks but they are not and never will be PO's but management will treat them as such.

Are you saying that while it might might start out as clerical/administrative work people working in this new grade could end up doing PO work??

Anyone else find the interview toughish? I was a bit surprised to hear that I had passed it.

I booked my hearing test today and was a bit surprised that it's going to cost me 80 euro! Can we claim this back?

V480 wrote: »
    Are you saying that while it might might start out as clerical/administrative work people working in this new grade could end up doing PO work??

Anyone else find the interview toughish? I was a bit surprised to hear that I had passed it.

I booked my hearing test today and was a bit surprised that it's going to cost me 80 euro! Can we claim this back?

I would be very surprised if that is not the case. We are following the NIPS model. They recruited auxiliary officers after 1995 on the pretext that they would be in non confrontational posts and admin etc. They then made an agreement with the union and what do you know, they became PO's but on lower pay. Same in the UK.

Rawhead wrote: »

I booked mine today also. As far as I know it is at our own expense.

I had a feeling we could be doing more po work by the word support in the job title. I took it as supporting po's which makes sense with the physical etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Its a new grade in the service. It for administration and support staff. The previous clerical positions in the service were filled by serving officers. As a means of cutting salary costs this new grade was created. The plan is to redeploy the current clerks back into the main prisons and replace them with these new support officers.

The positions were advertised a while ago but were only open to existing civil servants.

Question is will this re-deployment of PO's back to the landings actually happen ? Lest we forget the infamous Garda recruitment of 900 civilian support staff supposedly to free up Gardai for Police work.
    At the end of it all a mere 45 Gardai returned to the beat - is there not a high risk this will happen in the prisons with even more administrative staff the end result ?

Question is will this re-deployment of PO's back to the landings actually happen ? Lest we forget the infamous Garda recruitment of 900 civilian support staff supposedly to free up Gardai for Police work.
    At the end of it all a mere 45 Gardai returned to the beat - is there not a high risk this will happen in the prisons with even more administrative staff the end result ?

The vast majority of clerks went into the position because they felt better suited to "non confrontational duties". It is a promoted grade though, so now they are returning to the landings as ACO's (assistant chiefs, like sergeants) and Chiefs.

Most of them are terrified at the prospects of it and most haven't worked on the landings in donkeys years, some of them have visibly aged in the last few weeks they are so scared.

It's brilliant. icon10.gif

Does anyone know how many positions are available in the individual prisons? For example how many positions will there be in Cork?

Does anyone know how many positions are available in the individual prisons? For example how many positions will there be in Cork?
    It said in the FAQ there will be 6 places in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

is this an entry level position?

WilcoOut wrote: »

I think that there is the possibility of gaining promotion to PSAO 2 and PSAO 1 also.

WilcoOut wrote: »

I think that there is the possibility of gaining promotion to PSAO 2 and PSAO 1 also.

They are going to be recruiting at PASO 2 grade as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

shawmor wrote: »
    It said in the FAQ there will be 6 places in Cork.

And all the transfers to Cork in the meantime, before you get in so that will mean a long stay in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tommy101

Was the interview itself tough...I would have thought it would have been a walk in the park considering they extended the closing date for entries and seem to be struggling to get COs to fill these positions...the extra pay is for the extra hours that will be worked and with the loss of flexi plus having to work shift and saturdays...it would seem there is more to be lost by taking up the position.

480905 wrote: »
    And all the transfers to Cork in the meantime, before you get in so that will mean a long stay in Dublin.

Sorry don't understand, transfers to Cork? Long wait in Dublin?

Not sure your right on this one. If there are 8 vacancies in Cork for PASO's then warders transfers will not affect that in anyway. I presume though that the seniority will still apply for them as it is standard across the civil service.

It will however affect staff transfers as there will now be 8 extra bodies on Cork's numbers. Cork lads in Dublin will probably get their transfer home around the same time as their pre-retirement course.

Sorry, I'll explain. In the Prison Service there's a thing called "Seniority". If an Officer Joins up and they're from Cork, or Limerick etc, they can expect to do a significant amount of time in Dublin Jails because there is a transfer list to their home Prison. The most junior goes to the bottom of the pile for transfer. And it doesn't matter if you have the most genuine reasons for going ahead of these people , you will be waiting for your transfer until it is your turn. For new PASO people I'm not sure how it will work , you can bet if an officer hears of a PASO getting home ahead of them it will cause uproar. Another headache for the IPS ooooopppps sorry , the POA.

Sorry, I'll explain. In the Prison Service there's a thing called "Seniority". If an Officer Joins up and they're from Cork, or Limerick etc, they can expect to do a significant amount of time in Dublin Jails because there is a transfer list to their home Prison. The most junior goes to the bottom of the pile for transfer. And it doesn't matter if you have the most genuine reasons for going ahead of these people , you will be waiting for your transfer until it is your turn. For new PASO people I'm not sure how it will work , you can bet if an officer hears of a PASO getting home ahead of them it will cause uproar. Another headache for the IPS ooooopppps sorry , the POA.

I still think the PASO's will be completely outside the transfers of officers. They are a separate grade.

• Advertisement

Probably are and you're probably dead right, but the Jailer will cause a fuss.

Advertisement