Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Prison Service Jobs - PASO 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Any feedback from those who have started ?
    The apes of instructors in beladd will tell them not to go near the internet again talking about the job while they themselves do it regularly. Muppets!
    They might be good boys and girls and actually listen to them. So dunno if you will get much feedback.

cordub wrote: »
    werent ye all the lucky ones today first day of training and I saw the director general popped in to say hello :D:D was watching the uniforms being delivered and it brought back memories , though we had to q in mountjoy for ours .Best of luck with the training lads and ladies looks like there was nearly equal amounts of both
    Eh why were you in beladd? I'm nosey and i want to know! Training probs...
    The ones with the mickey mouse stripes will do detective work (sloppy in my case - wrong person but fun to play along) and know who you are. Watch it now cordub....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

How long does the training go on for exactly, is it 6 weeks? Will you start working the prison immediately then or is there a gap between completion of training and beginning the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flowerz

Hi training is for exactly 6 weeks and yes you will be assigned to the prison when training is complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilly6

Hi has anyone in the 2nd group got contract yet

• Advertisement

Lilly6 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone in the 2nd group got contract yet

Got a call asking me if I was available from the first of October...other than that nothing.

Hi I got my contract and paperwork yesterday im starting on 01st of October

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roggseye

Did you get an email aswell or did the paperwork arrive in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilly6

Hi I got email on friday afternoon to start 1st of October, hard copy to arrive by post hopefully today.

No I didnt get a contract in the post just got an email!

• Advertisement

Yeah we should get a hard copy in the post soon.

What hours do you do in Beladd, is it normal 9 to 5?

Is there a gym you can use to prepare for the fitness test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I also got my 1st choice and start on Oct 1.............until then i´ll just continue to sun myself in Lanzarote:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭maydream

I also got my 1st choice and start on Oct 1.............until then i´ll just continue to sun myself in Lanzarote:D

Congrats!!

Hi just got the hard copy contract in the post - can anyone tell me the hours we have to do in Portlaoise trying to sort out lifts/accommodation etc thanks!

flowerz wrote: »
    Hi just got the hard copy contract in the post - can anyone tell me the hours we have to do in Portlaoise trying to sort out lifts/accommodation etc thanks!

Twud be very handy to have some idea alright.

V480 wrote: »
    Twud be very handy to have some idea alright.

There was a sample on the back of the initial information.

8-5, 9-5, 9-6, 10-7 over different days over an 8 weeks period if i remember correctly.

flowerz wrote: »

Oh you mean in training, i believe its 9-5 but they mention accommodation !

Beladd has accomodation mon - fri. usually 9-5 and off at 4 on a friday during training.Single rooms with tvs and ensuites. Its a grand spot. Sure its just to get your head down anyway. Its free and so is your meals. If it hasn't drastically changed since i've been there i'd advise you to take advantage of it.
    I'm sure they asked you if you would need accomodation so they can guage numbers?

Theres a gym there too and a study area and a communal room for tv etc or whatever else you're having :)

And then you have the wonders of a pub crawl in portlaoise to behold ha ha.

Bet you won't have room inspections like we had to have (or maybe you might)! Ha now that would be funny. And uniform inspection! And don't forget your curfew boys and girls! Probs won't apply to you but i'd laugh if it did. Yous would be disgusted lol.

Here whats the story with your uniform anyway? Will it be the same as a prison officers one?

thanks a mill Bitter Lemon you have been most helpfull - roll on 01st Oct to get down there and get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Here whats the story with your uniform anyway? Will it be the same as a prison officers one?

Same just without numbers on the epaulettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Beladd has accomodation mon - fri. usually 9-5 and off at 4 on a friday during training.Single rooms with tvs and ensuites. Its a grand spot. Sure its just to get your head down anyway. Its free and so is your meals. If it hasn't drastically changed since i've been there i'd advise you to take advantage of it.
    I'm sure they asked you if you would need accomodation so they can guage numbers?

Theres a gym there too and a study area and a communal room for tv etc or whatever else you're having :)

And then you have the wonders of a pub crawl in portlaoise to behold ha ha.

Bet you won't have room inspections like we had to have (or maybe you might)! Ha now that would be funny. And uniform inspection! And don't forget your curfew boys and girls! Probs won't apply to you but i'd laugh if it did. Yous would be disgusted lol.

The curfew was scrapped thank the lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Scrapped for the PASO's or scrapped altogether for new Recruits???

I'm planning on travelling up on the morning we start training and have never been in Portlaoise before in my life so I was wondering should I stay somewhere local the night before or is Beladd easy enough to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

480905 wrote: »
    Scrapped for the PASO's or scrapped altogether for new Recruits???
    It was scrapped altogether when the last group of RPO's started.

I'm planning on travelling up on the morning we start training and have never been in Portlaoise before in my life so I was wondering should I stay somewhere local the night before or is Beladd easy enough to find?

The morning of should be fine, just take 1st exit for portlaoise and go past the hospital on the left. Beladd is about 300m down from that on the right ( 1st part of the complex you meet )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You can't miss it, I would say just go half an hour earlier than you had planned on your first day if you're anxious about finding it. Night before won't be necessary.

Got a call today reminding me to bring ID and flat black shoes, roll on monday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Got a call today reminding me to bring ID and flat black shoes, roll on monday:)

Were yous told to bring shoe polish and a sewing kit!?!?

Were yous told to bring shoe polish and a sewing kit!?!?

Nope just 4 green jelly babies, half a packet of cheese, a bag of 30mm woods screws and a dead badger !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Nope just 4 green jelly babies, half a packet of cheese, a bag of 30mm woods screws and a dead badger !
    he was being serious there , we were all told bring shoe polish to training ;);););)

Advertisement