Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Prison Service Jobs - PASO 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Nope just 4 green jelly babies, half a packet of cheese, a bag of 30mm woods screws and a dead badger !

Jailers LOVE smartarses..... You've just become fair game horse......

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭maydream

Good luck to everyone starting today!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭maydream

Does anyone want to give any ideas on how the training is going??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Hey did anyone do the physical test yet? whats it like? I got word that i will be offered my prison even though i was told months ago that i was too high up the list

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

how are all you newbies getting on ???,Was it what you expected or not ??We got our new guys, god help us they looked terrified when they came in the first morning , think they expected to get eaten alive by the staff , they didnt know where to look . We were all welcoming to them they have been christened the EL PASO'S a name that will stick i think lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

just see an email today from public jobs looking for PASO2 and PASO1 recruits from existing civil servants....confined to executive officers for PASO2 and Higher Executive Officers(existing) for PASO1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mr.2

just see an email today from public jobs looking for PASO2 and PASO1 recruits from existing civil servants....confined to executive officers for PASO2 and Higher Executive Officers(existing) for PASO1

Bet there will be a stampede for that...

cordub wrote: »
    how are all you newbies getting on ???,Was it what you expected or not ??We got our new guys, god help us they looked terrified when they came in the first morning , think they expected to get eaten alive by the staff , they didnt know where to look . We were all welcoming to them they have been christened the EL PASO'S a name that will stick i think lol

Best of luck to everyone else starting this week. Hopefully things will work out for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

I am hearing stories of Paso's jacking it in. Is this true?

Aint got the numbers anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wouldn't believe it unless you see it.

I wasn't even finished my training in Beladd when wardens were hearing rumors that trainees were packing it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

Wouldn't believe it unless you see it.

I wasn't even finished my training in Beladd when wardens were hearing rumors that trainees were packing it in.

I neither believe nor disbelieve the rumours.
    I posted the question to find out if there is any truth in the rumours.

you will always have a small percentage new recruits in any job who decide relatively quickly that its not for them. In this case its a big change from a nice office based desk job to a very structured security regime. I wonder ( if its true) how long will it take for them to be given another position in their old department if they have jacked it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gsk2011

Hey folks I see they have opened the recruitment again for this, Is is worth applying and do you require a college degree for it also? And what is the process if any of ye can let me know. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Warden13

I would not think you need a degree because the wardens you are replacing only had to prove they could read and write to get in back then you needed a little brain and plenty brawn now that has changed I do not know if that is good or bad.

Thanks pal, Do you know what the recruitment process is.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

I work in an area of the civil service where we deal with people starting, leaving and rejoining the service and we've already had two people return from the prison service after taking up the PASO positions, one after just one week.

I haven't spoken directly to these people so I don't know the ins and outs of their situation, but they still reverted back to CO.

Hi can you advise me on the recruitment process please
    and do you have to be currently working in a public sector job to apply?

Gsk2011 wrote: »
    Hi can you advise me on the recruitment process please
    and do you have to be currently working in a public sector job to apply?

for the PSO3 jobs (and the new PSo2 and PSO1 jobs) you had to be an existing civil servant at clerical officer grade. I have not heard anything about it becoming an open competition yet??

No prob thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

Warden13 wrote: »
    I would not think you need a degree because the wardens you are replacing only had to prove they could read and write to get in back then you needed a little brain and plenty brawn now that has changed I do not know if that is good or bad.
    What years are you talking about ??because when I trained in 1986 you needed a leaving cert , and also had to complete a written exam so me thinks your talking out of you a.. .Also you might find the acedemic people might find it hard to communicate with the prisoner on the level they are used to. The fully trained PO with on the job experience far outweight any person with a degree as has been proven ;);););)

Now my friend I took the exam in 2001 and the advert for the job in the Sunday indo read as follows do you want to earn 30000 plus join the ips criteria needed for job was a good level of reading and writing plus send your RSI no.Did all that got an exam no and a small booklet about the exam went to the rds did the exam and passed then got a date for an interview and a group exercise then went to beladd and became a warden left Matty land and came back to the mother ship ps don't have a leaving cert but I do have an inter cert so am I still talking out of my A

Warden13 wrote: »
    Now my friend I took the exam in 2001 and the advert for the job in the Sunday indo read as follows do you want to earn 30000 plus join the ips criteria needed for job was a good level of reading and writing plus send your RSI no.Did all that got an exam no and a small booklet about the exam went to the rds did the exam and passed then got a date for an interview and a group exercise then went to beladd and became a warden left Matty land and came back to the mother ship ps don't have a leaving cert but I do have an inter cert so am I still talking out of my A
    myself and the other 25 people that I trained with ALL had leaving cert but am presuming there are the exceptions to the case. The impression you are giving is that a lot of PO s in the job can just about read and write which I know is not the case;);)

No i am sorry if that was the impression I was giving

for the PSO3 jobs (and the new PSo2 and PSO1 jobs) you had to be an existing civil servant at clerical officer grade. I have not heard anything about it becoming an open competition yet??

Don't think they had many applicants first time around so doubt there will be a stampede second time of asking. Tbh the money looks crap for what they will be doing, a fraction of what a regular PO gets. Why anybody would leave a cushy Civil Service number to work longer hours, dealing with abuse from colleagues as well as 'customers' is beyond me.

How are you all getting on in the prisons?? Is it what you expected better or worse ??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

Any update from any of the posters that have started in the Prisons ?
    Are they happy in their new jobs ? Is it what they expected ?Would love to hear from them.

mrsbouquet wrote: »
    Any update from any of the posters that have started in the Prisons ?
    Are they happy in their new jobs ? Is it what they expected ?Would love to hear from them.
    I hear that the pasos are leaving all over the place. just read over this thread and amazingly us mature po could forsee what would happen to the job description of the posts pasos would do. Croke park 2 want them doing all tge posts we said that they would on here months ago and all for sh...t pay

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

Has things changed for them then ?
    What has changed in croke park 2 for them ?
    Have any paso 2's started yet .

• Advertisement

mrsbouquet wrote: »
    Has things changed for them then ?
    What has changed in croke park 2 for them ?
    Have any paso 2's started yet .
    Not sure about paso3 but I hear they had a dire response for eo grade paso2 posts and are even begging those that appied buit didn't bother to interview to take the jobs. I heard this from someone who was asked.when people realise they have no flexi time and actually have to resing as civil servants nooone wants to do that.

Advertisement