Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Just ran the emmc check app and I have the insane chip too. It was away for repair a couple of weeks ago with a reported fix of soft ware updated. But still has freezing problem including rebooting.

Im confused why didnt Samsung repair centre identify this problem. Or are they hoping they can push out past the warranty period without replacing the motherboard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

any videos i record all come out in slow motion when played back.any ideas what might be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

visual wrote: »
    Just ran the emmc check app and I have the insane chip too. It was away for repair a couple of weeks ago with a reported fix of soft ware updated. But still has freezing problem including rebooting.

Im confused why didnt Samsung repair centre identify this problem. Or are they hoping they can push out past the warranty period without replacing the motherboard ?

Doubt it. Can't see why they'd want to mess up their reputation with that sort of messing.

Liklihood is that the repair centre cut a corner. I'd be onto Samsung directly myself about it if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Over the past few weeks my SG3 became very unstable to the point I was going to send it back to get repaired.

It was constantly rebooting and freezing..

Anyway after searching around I found a fix that worked for me

I uninstalled Facebook App,Chrome and Swiftkey Flow.

This seems to have fixed my problem and I haven't had a reboot for a week now

Hopefully this will help somebody else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I just solved a problem with mine when putting in the password for the wifi box, came up twice.

Im using a signal booster, and have the kids connected to this, so any problems and the wifi goes off!!

However to connect to this I and to enter both passwords of each router in order to connect, and all the time I was putting in the booster one in both boxes and wasn't connecting.

Simple, but easy to oversee!! Hope this helps anyone with password issues - if using 2 routers, or signal boosters :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Phone seems to freeze everything app updates arrive.
    Have turned off auto update, will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The gf got one of these maybe 3 weeks ago. A couple of questions, if you please?

Does it normally take a full second for the phone to move out of an app back to the home screen when the physical home button is pressed? I'm using a 2 year old desire S that responds instantly and this was the first thing that was instantly noticeable to me.

Bigger issue. 2 mornings in a row now, her alarm has not gone off. I've just dropped her in just now, late. I checked the settings and all is set correctly, it just did not go off. I've done a quick google and see this is not an isolated incident. Has a fix been provided?

She's coming from a 2.5 year old iphone 3g and starting to regret her android experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

theteal wrote: »
    The gf got one of these maybe 3 weeks ago. A couple of questions, if you please?

Does it normally take a full second for the phone to move out of an app back to the home screen when the physical home button is pressed? I'm using a 2 year old desire S that responds instantly and this was the first thing that was instantly noticeable to me.

Bigger issue. 2 mornings in a row now, her alarm has not gone off. I've just dropped her in just now, late. I checked the settings and all is set correctly, it just did not go off. I've done a quick google and see this is not an isolated incident. Has a fix been provided?

She's coming from a 2.5 year old iphone 3g and starting to regret her android experiment

does this happen with all apps or only some of them? does it happen even after a restart or does it slowly build up a delay after time and use?

i had an issue (using cyanogenmod) where the alarm icon was gone from status bar every night so i had to turn them off and on,

have you set the alarm up for say 20:00 or when yous are both near it and awake so you can see what happens? If it goes off leave it as it is and see the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I've never used the stock alarm. Have always used talking alarm clock. Never let me down and completely free. Can be set up to call out the time, weather and a personalised message. Very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

turn off the double tap option to start voice commands, the reason why it takes so long is that the phone is waiting for the second tap. turn it off and you should go back to the home screen v quickly if you press the button

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote: »
    i had an issue (using cyanogenmod) where the alarm icon was gone from status bar every night so i had to turn them off and on,

have you set the alarm up for say 20:00 or when yous are both near it and awake so you can see what happens? If it goes off leave it as it is and see the next day.
    I've never used the stock alarm. Have always used talking alarm clock. Never let me down and completely free. Can be set up to call out the time, weather and a personalised message. Very funny!

I've not had too much of a chance to test it tbh, I've already pointed her in the direction of downloading a different alarm clock app
    duploelabs wrote: »
    turn off the double tap option to start voice commands, the reason why it takes so long is that the phone is waiting for the second tap. turn it off and you should go back to the home screen v quickly if you press the button

spot on, took me a while to find the setting but this fixed it, much obliged

cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've not had too much of a chance to test it tbh, I've already pointed her in the direction of downloading a different alarm clock app

spot on, took me a while to find the setting but this fixed it, much obliged

cheers lads

Where did you find that setting???

I find the delay annoying, and am never going to use voice commands, so would like to knock if off and see if that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

My phone started to freeze tonight I cant believe it as ive had no problems for a year with it. Cant uninstall chrome. Can three fix it ?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where did you find that setting???

I find the delay annoying, and am never going to use voice commands, so would like to knock if off and see if that makes a difference.

double tap the button to open up S-voice, press the menu button, the setting is one of the first few there, untick it, can't remember specifically what it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Welp, mine was just sent off for it's 3rd repair in a few weeks, with the same issue.

I wouldn't mind, but I work for O2 and know a hell of a lot about the S3 and known problems, and told the lads at Fonemenders it's obviously the SDS issue.

First they "repaired" it, they only reset the thing, something I'd done myself.
    Second time, they replaced the digitizer from some bizarre feckin reason.

This time it's been sent off for a final repair, I suppose the plus side is that I can return it in a few days and get a phone of the same value or pay the difference. So it looks like I'll be getting an S4 soon enough.

I was considering going for another S3, but I'm concerned I'd end up with the exact same problem in a few months and the difference between the 3 and 4 price wise is about €50 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Has anyone had any problems with the phone turning off in their pocket?

About half the time I take mine out of my pocket, it asks for the pin and effectively needs to be restarted. It's a right pain the hole

I notice that anytime I place it down on a table with any sort of force at all, it needs to be restarted aswel. I have a cover for it and I thought it would absorb what little shock is involved but its getting ridiculous at this stage

Mine is freezing 4-5 times a day. Pain in the swiss roll. Bringing it to fonemenders tmro. Not sure what to expect. My friend has the s2 and has no issues. Was considering the s4 but now I'm holding out to see what issues arrise in 6 months. Loved the s3 until the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Welp, mine was just sent off for it's 3rd repair in a few weeks, with the same issue.

I wouldn't mind, but I work for O2 and know a hell of a lot about the S3 and known problems, and told the lads at Fonemenders it's obviously the SDS issue.

First they "repaired" it, they only reset the thing, something I'd done myself.
    Second time, they replaced the digitizer from some bizarre feckin reason.

This time it's been sent off for a final repair, I suppose the plus side is that I can return it in a few days and get a phone of the same value or pay the difference. So it looks like I'll be getting an S4 soon enough.

I was considering going for another S3, but I'm concerned I'd end up with the exact same problem in a few months and the difference between the 3 and 4 price wise is about €50 for me.

Further proof that fonmenders are a farce. Even as a member of staff you cant get stuff sorted.

The networks need to get a proper service partner.

If you can get your hands on the one for a few minutes to test you can check the chip version with an app and know if its safe or not.

Mine is freezing 4-5 times a day. Pain in the swiss roll. Bringing it to fonemenders tmro. Not sure what to expect. My friend has the s2 and has no issues. Was considering the s4 but now I'm holding out to see what issues arrise in 6 months. Loved the s3 until the last week.
    Don't bother going to fonemenders, your phone just needs to be restored to factory settings.

Mine froze 6 times in two hours last Saturday, restored it to factory, and hasn't frozen since.

http://droidlessons.com/how-to-factory-reset-the-samsung-galaxy-s3/

Don't bother going to fonemenders, your phone just needs to be restored to factory settings.

Mine froze 6 times in two hours last Saturday, restored it to factory, and hasn't frozen since.

http://droidlessons.com/how-to-factory-reset-the-samsung-galaxy-s3/

I restored factory settings a few days ago. It had frozen maybe 20 times a day and since the reset it has froze maybe 2-3 times every day. It has got an awful lot better but its still not perfect. Are fonemebders that bad ?

• Advertisement

I restored factory settings a few days ago. It had frozen maybe 20 times a day and since the reset it has froze maybe 2-3 times every day. It has got an awful lot better but its still not perfect. Are fonemebders that bad ?
    I wouldn't be surpirsed if your phone came back worst from fonemendors.

Did you do a factory reset from recovery mode? Did you wipe the cache?

http://www.android.gs/recovery-mode-galaxy-s3/

Edit:
    Just to add, when I restored mine, I flashed a stock rom to it, not just a standard reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

apparently an update is due in the next few weeks to address the various problems etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

so to all the people that are having freezing problems. do you all have the " insane chip" ?as was mentioned earlier in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

After 11 months my phone has started freezing while I use it. Seems fairly random but happens every hour or so and then I have to restart the phone. Been going on for about a week. Backed everything up. Did a factory reset and installed only a few apps. It was a NIGHTMARE to install the apps. Crashed every couple of apps. Eventually once I had the apps I wanted back on it it has settled back to the crashing every hour or so. Ran the EMMC check and I have one of the "insane" chips.

So what's the story. I'm going to call into a vodafone shop this afternoon. What do they need to do fix it? Can it be fixed or do I need a new phone? If they send it away what is the normal repair time? Days? Weeks? I don't have a spare phone that will take the SIM so I'm worried that I might be phone less for weeks.

Having experienced the freezing and now read this thread I've gone from a happy Samsung customer to a pissed off one. It looks like they sold us defective goods that should have been recalled and replaced months ago. HTC next time I think.

touts wrote: »
    After 11 months my phone has started freezing while I use it. Seems fairly random but happens every hour or so and then I have to restart the phone. Been going on for about a week. Backed everything up. Did a factory reset and installed only a few apps. It was a NIGHTMARE to install the apps. Crashed every couple of apps. Eventually once I had the apps I wanted back on it it has settled back to the crashing every hour or so. Ran the EMMC check and I have one of the "insane" chips.

So what's the story. I'm going to call into a vodafone shop this afternoon. What do they need to do fix it? Can it be fixed or do I need a new phone? If they send it away what is the normal repair time? Days? Weeks? I don't have a spare phone that will take the SIM so I'm worried that I might be phone less for weeks.

Having experienced the freezing and now read this thread I've gone from a happy Samsung customer to a pissed off one. It looks like they sold us defective goods that should have been recalled and replaced months ago. HTC next time I think.

uninstall Facebook App,Chrome and Swiftkey Flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

Kev. wrote: »

I un-installed facebook and never had swiftkey. But Chrome is a system app and it won't let me uninstall that. How do I get rid of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kev. wrote: »

That likely just masked the symptoms by freeing up a chunk of internal.

If you have an insane chip *you need a new motherboard*. Make a titanium backup if you want then send it to be repaired(and make sure they actually do it, fonmenders are a joke of a service centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Same thing happening me as well guys. Phone was away for over 2 weeks getting the screen fixed through my insurance company. Got it back yesterday and the note that came with it from the samsung reapir center said that the LCD had been replaced and the software updated to V.19300NELK2

Initially i was pleases as all the three branding and bloatware had been removed. Then i started to reinstall my apps and constant freezing. Its an absolute nightmare. Everything is now installed but it still freezes randomly through use.

Contacted samsung and they said to bring it to fonemenders to get the software flashed. I think this is pointless myself as i have the most up to date software. i also have that crazy chip.

Whats the best advice. root and flash another rom? I've never done this before so don't no if its beneficial? Or should I bring it back to the three store? What are they likely to do?

ED E wrote: »
    That likely just masked the symptoms by freeing up a chunk of internal.

It solved the issue for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

touts wrote: »

The issue cannot be pinned down to a specific batch of S3's though, nor even a specific batch of the motherboard itself.

It's a seemingly random occurance that cannot be detected without an app or being sent off.

The only way Samsung could have removed them all is if they recalled every single S3 in the world that was made more than 9 months ago. Which was about 30 million at the time.

The -vast- majority of S3 owners will never experience this problem.

Advertisement