Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Hi thanks for info, but I am not techie to do this. Where could I bring phone to get update done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

WexIan wrote: »
    Hi thanks for info, but I am not techie to do this. Where could I bring phone to get update done?

any techie friends?

honestly its not that hard to do there are several places online with full instructions.
    • Download and install Odin on your computer.
    • Download and install KIES for getting the proper drivers for your device.
    • From here download the update file on your computer.
    • Extract the update file and on your computer open Odin.
    • Turn off the Galaxy S3 and reboot in download mode.
    • For download mode press and hold Home, Power, and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
    • Connect the handset with the computer via USB cord.
    • Once the devices are connected, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed, and the ID:COM section should be yellow.
    • If not re-install the drivers on the computer and redo the above steps.
    • From Odin select “PDA” and pick the update file.
    • Don’t make any other changes on Odin; just click on “Start”.
    • In the end, the “pass” messages should be displayed.
    • Also, the phone will reboot meaning that you can finally unplug the USB cord as you are done.

from

http://www.android.gs/update-galaxy-s3-official-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-xxellc/

another guide

http://androidadvices.com/xxellc-galaxy-s-3-jellybean-4-1-2-firmware/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Thanks danniemcq will give it a try:)

WexIan wrote: »
    Thanks danniemcq will give it a try:)

welcome to the world of customization!

you'll be rooted and rommed before you know it!

just ensure that you always use stuff suited for the i9300 international versions otherwise you might run into issues! Remember there is always a very minor chance something could go wrong but android users are always here to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

The GPS on my S3 seems to be not working at the moment.

Have tried switching it on and switching it off, any other suggestions?

• Advertisement

Simple solution to the problem, switch phone off and back on again! :rolleyes::P

dcr22B wrote: »
    The GPS on my S3 seems to be not working at the moment.

Have tried switching it on and switching it off, any other suggestions?

by not working do you mean not turning on, not finding a signal or not being accurate?

danniemcq wrote: »
    by not working do you mean not turning on, not finding a signal or not being accurate?
    Just wouldn't find a signal.

All sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

Ah the good ole turn the phone off and then back on fix. Works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Does anyone know if either the following invalidates the warranty?

Cracked screen, not bad enough to be a problem in fact they are barely visible looking at the screen.
    It was rooted briefly to unlock it while I was waiting for an unlock code, Its now back in an un-rooted condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

any techie friends?

honestly its not that hard to do there are several places online with full instructions.
    • Download and install Odin on your computer.
    • Download and install KIES for getting the proper drivers for your device.
    • From here download the update file on your computer.
    • Extract the update file and on your computer open Odin.
    • Turn off the Galaxy S3 and reboot in download mode.
    • For download mode press and hold Home, Power, and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
    • Connect the handset with the computer via USB cord.
    • Once the devices are connected, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed, and the ID:COM section should be yellow.
    • If not re-install the drivers on the computer and redo the above steps.
    • From Odin select “PDA” and pick the update file.
    • Don’t make any other changes on Odin; just click on “Start”.
    • In the end, the “pass” messages should be displayed.
    • Also, the phone will reboot meaning that you can finally unplug the USB cord as you are done.

from

http://www.android.gs/update-galaxy-s3-official-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-xxellc/

another guide

http://androidadvices.com/xxellc-galaxy-s-3-jellybean-4-1-2-firmware/

This.. I rooted my S3 & love it. I installed a custom ROM got rid of all the bloatware. etc..
    Another tip: Try using 3G manager app to help extend battery life plus your phone doesn't need to be rooted for this app to work.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if either the following invalidates the warranty?

Cracked screen, not bad enough to be a problem in fact they are barely visible looking at the screen.
    It was rooted briefly to unlock it while I was waiting for an unlock code, Its now back in an un-rooted condition.

cracked screen, not sure. if explainable through usual wear and tear should be ok

rooting does not affect warrenty under EU law (either does custom roms)

however if you start messing around when rooted and overclocking or something you could be looking at an issue (if they can prove it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

cracked screen, not sure. if explainable through usual wear and tear should be ok

rooting does not affect warrenty under EU law (either does custom roms)

however if you start messing around when rooted and overclocking or something you could be looking at an issue (if they can prove it)

No didnt do anything like that when I rooted it, Just used the unlock app until i got my code from the provider.

Whats the best way of getting work done to it under warranty? Im coming from an iphone so not really sure about sending it to fonemenders

through the network shop that you are on.

three was very helpful when i went to them with the Sudden Death Issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

how do you exit chrome without pressing the back button loads of times?dolphin lets u click exit and your done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

crazygeryy wrote: »
    how do you exit chrome without pressing the back button loads of times?dolphin lets u click exit and your done.

Press the home button.

Press the home button.

but then when you go back to chrome it's still on the same page.i guess I'm just used to dolphin when u exit it erases everything and starts again on homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Hi - I've encountered a strange issue over the last day. I rooted a SGIII about a week ago but haven't flashed a different rom yet.

As of yesterday any shortened link (eg: t.co) for redirecting throws a connection error in all browsers. I've disabled any ad blocking apps or tweaks anywhere.

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

through the network shop that you are on.

three was very helpful when i went to them with the Sudden Death Issue

I've this freezing problem with Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) plus sometimes the phone goes off and is very difficult to turn back on.
    Bought it through E-mobile was away for 2 weeks for repair to get it back with a note "updated software" and the fault is still there.
    might as well have said polished screen for all the good that did.

Also notice since getting it back it doesn't connect to Kites without a great deal of messing around. Its running 4.1.2

I've reinstalled latest firmware and reset but the issue of freezing is present
    I going to bring it back tomorrow but I have a feeling this is hardware problem and not firmware or software.

Is this the start of sudden death problem I hear so much about ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i mentioned in this thread earlier that
    1. my phone wouldn't light up the screen when i pressed the "Home" button but someone could still be ringing - had to reboot.
    2. occasionally restarting by itself.
    3. phone freezing while using it which required a reboot.
    4. did a factory reset but no good. didn't happen for 2 weeks after doing this but then the above happened again.

i left the phone back to vodafone and checked today to see was it back in... fonfix had a message left on its system to say that the screen needs replacing and the warranty is void.... wtf.... not too sure what that is about.

anyone else have this issue?

to me the screen was working perfectly and i don't ever remember hitting it or dropping it.
    will chat with Vodafone tomorrow to see what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

thekooman wrote: »
    i mentioned in this thread earlier that
    1. my phone wouldn't light up the screen when i pressed the "Home" button but someone could still be ringing - had to reboot.
    2. occasionally restarting by itself.
    3. phone freezing while using it which required a reboot.
    4. did a factory reset but no good. didn't happen for 2 weeks after doing this but then the above happened again.

i left the phone back to vodafone and checked today to see was it back in... fonfix had a message left on its system to say that the screen needs replacing and the warranty is void.... wtf.... not too sure what that is about.

anyone else have this issue?

to me the screen was working perfectly and i don't ever remember hitting it or dropping it.
    will chat with Vodafone tomorrow to see what is going on.

there is a slight clip on the side of the screen that i seen today for the 1st time hence why the screen has to be replaced... warranty is void because of that! going to cost 130 to replace it! balls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Balls, I seem to be getting the freezing issue myself in the last few days.

Funnily enough it was fine up until I backed up my phone on Kies in preparation of rooting my phone for the first time.

I had a busy few days with work so didn't bother, instead I just installed my more commonly used apps.

Nova Launcher
    Chrome
    Widget Locker
    Instagram
    FaceBook
    etc.

Done a full reset on the phone since, and problem has happened a few times today.

Now going without Nova or anything else installed, eg did another full wipe.
    Hopefully it sorts out this time, I'd be screwed without my S3 for a week, I've become highly reliant on it for work and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

thekooman wrote: »
    there is a slight clip on the side of the screen that i seen today for the 1st time hence why the screen has to be replaced... warranty is void because of that! going to cost 130 to replace it! balls

Like a nick? Thats normal, its a sign of impact, they'll always void a warranty for that, not much you can do. Though it probably wont fix your issues either.

If you have a technically minded mate it should be possible to fit a new one for a lot less if your warranty is already gone.

Re freezing issues can we try and get a handle on things. If you have such problems post this:

Firmware version:
    Carrier:
    Rooted?:

Might be able to track down a common factor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just a note on freezing if it may help.

When I had my S3 (on the Three network) it was fine, never froze from what I remember however I have sold it on now and the new owner is on the Tesco (02) network and is reporting freezing when trying to use the network with a low signal, has to pull the battery just to force a reboot. I have suggested he try a 3 SIM in it to see if that may help.

Phone is unlocked in that it was never locked by three in the first place but still has their software on it.

is there a feature on the s3 to block certain numbers and private numbers etc? i could have sworn i saw it while messing with it but i can't find it now.

and i know theres an app to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Have started getting the freezing issue myself over the last week now too.

I done a factory reset yesterday, but have had 2 freezes and a random restart since.

On the 3 network, unrooted and running 4.1.2

Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed?

Ok so this might be an odd one.

Having headphone issues with the s3, headphones are working fine (just tried them on PC) but when I plug into the phone nothing.

Its not a volume issue as the headphones that came with it work fine.

My theory is that the new headphones are somehow sending a signal to the phone through the jack that is muting them. The original headphones have buttons for volume/play/pause whereas the new ones don't.

Just wondering does anyone else have an issue like this? and if its possible to turn off "headphone input" for lack of better words.

Running Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Ok so this might be an odd one.

Having headphone issues with the s3, headphones are working fine (just tried them on PC) but when I plug into the phone nothing.

Its not a volume issue as the headphones that came with it work fine.

My theory is that the new headphones are somehow sending a signal to the phone through the jack that is muting them. The original headphones have buttons for volume/play/pause whereas the new ones don't.

Just wondering does anyone else have an issue like this? and if its possible to turn off "headphone input" for lack of better words.

Running Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightly

By any chance do you have the "turn off all sounds" in accessibly ticked?

By any chance do you have the "turn off all sounds" in accessibly ticked?

nope, its quite an odd one. worked fine this morning then just stopped, no volume in any app i tried but other headphones were fine.

Tried restarting, playing through speaker and putting headphones in and still no sound. just updated to the latest build of CM and that seems to have fixed it, be interesting to see if it happens again as i have similer issues in the past with other dodgy headphones where it would adjust volume randomly but that stopped as soon as i changed them

• Advertisement

nope. Still cutting out at times, dammit

Advertisement