Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭moleary20

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Killing apps immediately is completely going against the way Android works. Do a factory reset, if you still have problems you have a hardware fault.

This is prob a stupid q but if i do a factory reset will i lose all my apps etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

moleary20 wrote: »

This is prob a stupid q but if i do a factory reset will i lose all my apps etc??

Of course, but did you back up your Google account to your phone?

It should just reinstall everything if ya do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

moleary20 wrote: »

Yes, but they'll download again once you login if you have the setting "back upto Google account" selected. Also, back up your contacts to your Google account, there are plenty of videos online on how to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I did the factory reset and unfortunately I'm still having some freezing problems. Not near as severe as it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Knine wrote: »
    I did the factory reset and unfortunately I'm still having some freezing problems. Not near as severe as it was though.

Then you either need a format and re-partition or have a hardware fault, it's best you get that done under warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

Could be a specific app either. Facebook causes my phone to lag when it updates. No idea why.
    When I reenable data I always get a few second lag.
    Overclocked the phone now so it lasts much less

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Anyone doing a factory reset and worried about losing apps/data use Carbon backup.

Its free, doesn't need root access and is very easy to use. it will save your save games or any data you have created in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I have been having major battery problems since i got my phone.
    Coming from an iphone (since 1st one launched) i thought I just need to get to grips with managing the battery.
    I was barely getting a full day out of it.
    I installed gsam battery monitor and have to say its helping me sort through my issues.
    First thing I noticed was temple run 2 was eating the battery and didnt seem to close properly?
    SInce i uninstalled that I am getting about a day out of it which is fine.
    The only thing that is annoying me now is when I go to bed.
    I leave it on the locker, turn the wifi off but I am losing about 20% in 10 hours or so?

It seems that "phone radio" is using nearly 20% and showing as 15 hours active?
    Wifi active is showing 4:46:13 and held awake is the same?

I assume phone radio is 3g or something?
    Can someone explain how I can save a bit more battery.
    Many thanks
    Sham.

a day is about usual for an s3 unless you have implimented some hefty battery saving options.

I recommend turn off wifi and your 3g/data connection.

even when you aren't using the 3g some apps will be (either looking for updates or feed updates or just sending stats to the app developer.

as for phone radio have you listened to the radio on the phone (stupid question i know but it like temple run might not have closed properly either) even if you accidently opened it and quickly closed it.

Are you just backing out of apps or using the home button?

for a lot of apps use the menu button in app and then choose exit

I never use the phone radio thats why I assumed it was something to do with the wifi or 3g aor something.

I usually back out of apps I suppose but then I will close them all by swiping once a few are open.
    I will try turning the 3g and wifi off and see how I go.
    Cheers for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Im getting my hands on a S3 this week from the brother, He has had a problem with the microphone working intermittently, Is this a known issue?

The phone is still under warranty so was thinking of sending it back for repair however the glass has a crack on it> Does the crack invalidate the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

sham69 wrote: »
    I have been having major battery problems since i got my phone.
    Coming from an iphone (since 1st one launched) i thought I just need to get to grips with managing the battery.
    I was barely getting a full day out of it.
    I installed gsam battery monitor and have to say its helping me sort through my issues.
    First thing I noticed was temple run 2 was eating the battery and didnt seem to close properly?
    SInce i uninstalled that I am getting about a day out of it which is fine.
    The only thing that is annoying me now is when I go to bed.
    I leave it on the locker, turn the wifi off but I am losing about 20% in 10 hours or so?

It seems that "phone radio" is using nearly 20% and showing as 15 hours active?
    Wifi active is showing 4:46:13 and held awake is the same?

I assume phone radio is 3g or something?
    Can someone explain how I can save a bit more battery.
    Many thanks
    Sham.

Hi sham

you need to do a bit of tweaking in Android to save Battery, like turning off Synchronisation, Notifications, use 2G instead of 3G until needed, allow phone to go into deep sleep mode at night, etc, etc.

I posted this before:
    Ahh yes K, but comparing apples with oranges, vis-à-vis Ancient Nokia vs Modern Android Smartphone...I think you would agree.:D

There are things ppl can do to prevent Battery Drain,

like turning of synchronisation in Google Gmail, G+, FB, and other apps

using 2g instead of 3g until you need 3g,

probably keeping GPS off until needed,

allowing phone to go into deep sleep at night,

Keep screen at low brightness in Display settings, don't use auto brightness setting

Most ROM's have easy access toggles to change these settings.

by auto turning off WiFi when screen goes off [going into Settings/WiFi/Advanced from menu/Keep WiFi on during sleep/ set to never]..... this setting should work, but on some custom ROM's does not....

so use Better Wifi On/Off.

It is very useful and is free.

Also, get CPUSpy+ App, free from XDA as a member....

CPUSpy+ XDA

Also, Better Battery Stats, also free from XDA as a member, but if you like, support the dev, buy it!!!

Better Battery Stats XDA

These tools will help find what is keeping your phone awake, and there is support from the devs.

So, if you like any or all of the above apps, do try to support the Devs.

Open for more suggestions!!!

There is also a relatively new App, Optimus Battery Saver free version....could also be worth a try....

but, no matter what you do, S3 will be Battery greedy with the Stock Battery, and the huge high quality screen, so 1 day is all I ever expect!!!

You can get Batteries with higher capacity, but they ruin the shape and feel, and not all are as good as advertised. [NFC is missing on some, and those with it are more expensive]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

lads i want to sell my samsung galaxy s phone to someone in england so i can buy a samsung s 3.will samsung galaxy s work for them in england?as in can you put a uk sim into it and will it work?
    by the way its rooted unlocked etc etc

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Yep, it will work fine, given its unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Anyone here having experience with "sudden death syndrome"

Phone randomly turning off and or freezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Hi, need some help please. Recently bought an unlocked S3 and am unable to update to JellyBean either through Kies or OTA. It is running 4.0.4.
    Baseband version: 19300XXLE8
    Build number: IMM76D.19300XXALE8
    CSC: 19300XAALE8 KOR
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

My Gmail phonebook won't sync, when I try and sync it in phonebook nothing happens. Anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

the brightness on my screen randomly changes itself when locked, the screen will be very bright even though its set to low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Battery will give me 2.5 days with stock bat saver settings, low brightness, wifi off.
    Problem is in Email list view, brightness goes to minimum, almost impossible to read daytime, so i end up turning the brightness up, then i forget its up!

The real question: I have saved some files on the phone, as downloads, also saved from dropbox.
    - where the hell are these files? (.txt .doc .pdf)

Is your data all backed up? if not do it now using either titanuim backup pro (needs root and either paid or free version) or Carbon backup (free and no need for root)

Did you get an update in january or so, about 40mb?
    WexIan wrote: »
    Hi, need some help please. Recently bought an unlocked S3 and am unable to update to JellyBean either through Kies or OTA. It is running 4.0.4.
    Baseband version: 19300XXLE8
    Build number: IMM76D.19300XXALE8
    CSC: 19300XAALE8 KOR
    Thanks

by unlocked do you mean you bought it from retailer unlocked or some guy?

you might be better getting the firmware from sammobile and using Odin to flash it yourself
    Sitec wrote: »
    My Gmail phonebook won't sync, when I try and sync it in phonebook nothing happens. Anyone come across this?

have you set it up in the settings to sync (silly question i know) but gotta rule out the obvious first
    whizbang wrote: »
    Battery will give me 2.5 days with stock bat saver settings, low brightness, wifi off.
    Problem is in Email list view, brightness goes to minimum, almost impossible to read daytime, so i end up turning the brightness up, then i forget its up!

The real question: I have saved some files on the phone, as downloads, also saved from dropbox.
    - where the hell are these files? (.txt .doc .pdf)

you can access them in the dropbox app and download them to your phone. some files are stored in sdcard0/android/com.dropbox.android but probably not the ones you are looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Thanks danniemcg, yes phone bought privately (methinks I may have been sold a pup) and no info found on SamMobile

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/

is the link you are looking for (i think, i'm at work so can't check site right on ie6)

Look for the correct OS for your phone by choosing make/model and carrier and you should get a download link,

Download the file and then apply it through Odin i believe.

I'll check later on if nobody else jumps in with an easier guide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

danniemcq wrote: »
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/

is the link you are looking for (i think, i'm at work so can't check site right on ie6)

Look for the correct OS for your phone by choosing make/model and carrier and you should get a download link,

Download the file and then apply it through Odin i believe.

I'll check later on if nobody else jumps in with an easier guide

Just looking through these for a friend, he is an Emobile customer and there is no dropdown for them - should I use a UK BTU Firmware? I think thats sim free firmware, which his phone is, any ideas?

EDIT - It's cool - found this one which should sort out his issues - http://androidadvices.com/xxellc-galaxy-s-3-jellybean-4-1-2-firmware/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

danniemcq wrote: »
    have you set it up in the settings to sync (silly question i know) but gotta rule out the obvious first

Yep it's set up for sync but just doesn't sync at all

Hi sham

you need to do a bit of tweaking in Android to save Battery, like turning off Synchronisation, Notifications, use 2G instead of 3G until needed, allow phone to go into deep sleep mode at night, etc, etc.

I posted this before:

There is also a relatively new App, Optimus Battery Saver free version....could also be worth a try....

but, no matter what you do, S3 will be Battery greedy with the Stock Battery, and the huge high quality screen, so 1 day is all I ever expect!!!

You can get Batteries with higher capacity, but they ruin the shape and feel, and not all are as good as advertised. [NFC is missing on some, and those with it are more expensive]

Thanks , turned off wifi and 3g before going to bed and woke up with 75% battery from yesterday last charge at 4:30pm.
    Happy enough now,
    I know the screen is a bit of a hog but expected to get a day out if it.
    Now that I know what to turn off and when i will easily get 1.5 days out of it.
    Thanks all for the tips and advice.
    Sham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

im experiencing this as well. did a factory reset 2 weeks ago and it happened once up until today and then it happened twice this morning. have it hold down the power button for 10 seconds to reset it. am on v 4.1.2 of android. Think im going to leave it back to Vodafone once i get my nano sim adapter off ebay. it only started happening since end of Jan / begin of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

that's not the "sudden death" problem - your phone will simply not wake up ever as the motherboard dies.
    thekooman wrote: »
    im experiencing this as well. did a factory reset 2 weeks ago and it happened once up until today and then it happened twice this morning. have it hold down the power button for 10 seconds to reset it. am on v 4.1.2 of android. Think im going to leave it back to Vodafone once i get my nano sim adapter off ebay. it only started happening since end of Jan / begin of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

elderlemon wrote: »
    that's not the "sudden death" problem - your phone will simply not wake up ever as the motherboard dies.

um ok... well "Phone randomly turning off and or freezing?" its doing so.

elderlemon wrote: »

they were the symtoms before mine died

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Just looking through these for a friend, he is an Emobile customer and there is no dropdown for them - should I use a UK BTU Firmware? I think thats sim free firmware, which his phone is, any ideas?

EDIT - It's cool - found this one which should sort out his issues - http://androidadvices.com/xxellc-galaxy-s-3-jellybean-4-1-2-firmware/

yeah that should work fine and also the meteor firmware i think would work too

Advertisement