Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

i had the same problem with headphones few months ago...

guys in repair center were laughing at me cause i was bringing phone without any faults....

last time i went there 3 times in one day.. and in the end they just replaced the phone... didnt even bother to fix it...
    cause to fix it you have to dissemble whole phone and that procedure takes ages especially if you dont have correct tools...

my problem with headphones was ICS vs JB
    on ICS everything was working
    on JB i couldnt hear anything from it...

so only option is to replace the phone if its on bill pay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Erper wrote: »
    i had the same problem with headphones few months ago...

guys in repair center were laughing at me cause i was bringing phone without any faults....

last time i went there 3 times in one day.. and in the end they just replaced the phone... didnt even bother to fix it...
    cause to fix it you have to dissemble whole phone and that procedure takes ages especially if you dont have correct tools...

my problem with headphones was ICS vs JB
    on ICS everything was working
    on JB i couldnt hear anything from it...

so only option is to replace the phone if its on bill pay

dammit was hoping that wasn't the case :(

so either stick with crappy in ear buds that came with the phone or constantly put up with this crap.....

danniemcq wrote: »
    dammit was hoping that wasn't the case :(

so either stick with crappy in ear buds that came with the phone or constantly put up with this crap.....

with first SGS3 i was using 10 different headphones/earphones just to check it, could that be the problem or the phone...

the jack on SGS3 is very weak and sensitive... so you have to be careful if you caring your phone in the pocket while you listening music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

thekooman wrote:
    Originally Posted by thekooman
    i mentioned in this thread earlier that
    1. my phone wouldn't light up the screen when i pressed the "Home" button but someone could still be ringing - had to reboot.
    2. occasionally restarting by itself.
    3. phone freezing while using it which required a reboot.
    4. did a factory reset but no good. didn't happen for 2 weeks after doing this but then the above happened again.

i left the phone back to vodafone and checked today to see was it back in... fonfix had a message left on its system to say that the screen needs replacing and the warranty is void.... wtf.... not too sure what that is about.

anyone else have this issue?

to me the screen was working perfectly and i don't ever remember hitting it or dropping it.
    will chat with Vodafone tomorrow to see what is going on.
    thekooman wrote: »
    there is a slight clip on the side of the screen that i seen today for the 1st time hence why the screen has to be replaced... warranty is void because of that! going to cost 130 to replace it! balls

got the phone back, new screen and its worse than ever with freezing. trying to get vodafone to get my 130 back as well. 3 weeks without the phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Erper wrote: »
    with first SGS3 i was using 10 different headphones/earphones just to check it, could that be the problem or the phone...

the jack on SGS3 is very weak and sensitive... so you have to be careful if you caring your phone in the pocket while you listening music

yeah it happens when its even on the desk at work.

normal stock headphones work. might see if i can get big ones with a button volume control see if that makes a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

hi, just bought a s3 off ebay, unlocked. I tried my 48 sim, but I cant get better than E & R Signals.I then bought a three sim today, and I am now only getting G im Galway City. Any one have any idea? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

kennethk wrote: »
    hi, just bought a s3 off ebay, unlocked. I tried my 48 sim, but I cant get better than E & R Signals.I then bought a three sim today, and I am now only getting G im Galway City. Any one have any idea? thanks

Must be something in the settings. Did you do a factory reset on it after you bought it? I had issues with 3 in Galway after coming back from roaming abroad. It wouldn't hold the 3G signal. Factory reset did the trick.

Double check that connection settings are correct too, for whichever network you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I'm also having problems with my S3 first it started going in to safe mode for no reason,And since the last official update 4.1.2 the phone freezes a lot during the day and the battery is gone to f**k sometimes lasting about 5/6 hours.

I'm also having problems with my S3 first it started going in to safe mode for no reason,And since the last official update 4.1.2 the phone freezes a lot during the day and the battery is gone to f**k sometimes lasting about 5/6 hours.

Have a look at the battery usage to see what is burning your battery like that. I had the same problem after that update, and it was the Mediaserver function that was taking all the juice.

Lots of suggestions online about how to fix it, but they all turned out to be temporary measures in my case. I ended up rooting it and putting a custom rom on it. No problems with mediaserver since.

I read that the mediaserver thing is a bug that Google are aware of but have not yet fixed. It was coming and gong in mine, not happening on every charge.

danniemcq wrote: »
    yeah it happens when its even on the desk at work.

normal stock headphones work. might see if i can get big ones with a button volume control see if that makes a difference

i have tried everything, even stock ones and it was the same like the other headphones.

first i was thinking it might be software problem but in the end i presume it was hardware as they had to change phone board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

kennethk wrote: »

Manually connect to the 3 network. When you search for available networks two options will show up for 3. Select the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Have a look at the battery usage to see what is burning your battery like that. I had the same problem after that update, and it was the Mediaserver function that was taking all the juice.

Lots of suggestions online about how to fix it, but they all turned out to be temporary measures in my case. I ended up rooting it and putting a custom rom on it. No problems with mediaserver since.

I read that the mediaserver thing is a bug that Google are aware of but have not yet fixed. It was coming and gong in mine, not happening on every charge.

What Rom are you using. Might give it a go at the wknd as have the same problem too. Getting annoying at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

I purchased a Galaxy S3 SH recently with the outer screen cracked, (hardly noticeable) About once a day the screen freezes, I reset it to default and it it still dose it. Could the crack in the screen cause this? Is there any diagnostics tool I can download to check if there is a problem?

Also is there anywhere that can replace the outer glass screen? I purchased one on Ebay but don't have the patience of tools to do it myself.

Cheers,

s_carnage wrote: »
    What Rom are you using. Might give it a go at the wknd as have the same problem too. Getting annoying at this stage.

Using the latest cyanogenmod rom. Very happy with it.

I purchased a Galaxy S3 SH recently with the outer screen cracked, (hardly noticeable) About once a day the screen freezes, I reset it to default and it it still dose it. Could the crack in the screen cause this? Is there any diagnostics tool I can download to check if there is a problem?

Also is there anywhere that can replace the outer glass screen? I purchased one on Ebay but don't have the patience of tools to do it myself.

Cheers,

to replace screen is long process as glass is almost stuck to the board of the phone...

maybe digitizer is broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The build quality of the samsung isn't great and I'm being generous.

The freez problem isn't going to be resolved by reboots or reinstalling the software.

I was reading articles that claim there is a rom problem that only shows up between 100 to 200 days from being activated it seems more related to the death problem where phone cant be switch on but I strongly suspect it also related to screen freeze.

I like android but think samsung S3 was a poor buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

visual wrote: »
    The build quality of the samsung isn't great and I'm being generous.

The freez problem isn't going to be resolved by reboots or reinstalling the software.

I was reading articles that claim there is a rom problem that only shows up between 100 to 200 days from being activated it seems more related to the death problem where phone cant be switch on but I strongly suspect it also related to screen freeze.

I like android but think samsung S3 was a poor buy.

Thats hardly fair is it?

Plenty of phones have issues after release that cant be forseen.

In fairness to Samsung They admitted the problem very quickly and ate offering to swap the phone immediately, whereas Apple have only just stated sending out 15$ cheques to customers now after the whole Antennagate issue.

Its extremely hard to know about a problem like this in advance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi All,

n00b to Android here, just got my S3 this morning, have to say I'm loving it already, 1 thing that's annoying me though is that it's coming up that I'm roaming when clearly I'm not. I'm on TescoMobile and the phone was originally with Vodafone, I do I get it to realise that I'm not roaming?

Thank

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi All,

n00b to Android here, just got my S3 this morning, have to say I'm loving it already, 1 thing that's annoying me though is that it's coming up that I'm roaming when clearly I'm not. I'm on TescoMobile and the phone was originally with Vodafone, I do I get it to realise that I'm not roaming?

Thank

Technically you are roaming. Tesco are an MVNO and use the O2 network which means you are roaming on the O2 network. I'm not sure if you can disable it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That will really annoy me after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three have the same problem with their 2G coverage. Its a pain alright.

Would putting a custom Rom like CyanogenMod solve the issue?

Also, I'm going ordering this memory card for it, I assume that it's ok for it?

Finally, I notice that my old iPhone headset doesn't work in it, will any standard headset work in it?

Would putting a custom Rom like CyanogenMod solve the issue?

Also, I'm going ordering this memory card for it, I assume that it's ok for it?

Finally, I notice that my old iPhone headset doesn't work in it, will any standard headset work in it?

Custom rom won't fix the roaming issue. I'm with three, and if I'm in an area with no 3 coverage, it "roams" to VF so I can make calls and text. It's something that you can live with, I hardly notice it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

That will really annoy me after a while

How and why?? :)

It is required when with an MVNO, it's not a problem, and it has no cost implications.....honestly.

Just see here Tesco Settings for Android:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

Android Settings

Go to Settings -> Wireless&Networks -> Mobile Networks and turn on Data Roaming

Go to Settings -> Wireless&Networks -> Mobile Networks and turn on Packet Data

Go to Settings -> Wireless&Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names and delete all existing APN’s.

Create a new Internet APN with settings

- Name TMI Internet APN
    - APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    - MCC: 272
    - MNC: 11
    - APN Type: default, supl

Sometimes for APN Type setting you are only allowed choose from a list. If so choose Internet or default.

Create a new MMS APN with settings

- Name: TMI MMS APN
    - APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    - MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    - MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    - MMS Port: 8080
    - MCC: 272
    - MNC: 11
    - APN TYPE: MMS

Reboot Phone

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

I started getting the freezing problem a week or two ago, so I thought it may have been an app I installed so I started uninstalling apps 1 at a time to see if I could fix it, no luck until I got to facebook, I uninstalled the facebook app about 3 days ago and the phone has been fantastic since then, Im not sure why this might be as I have had fb on this s3 for over a year without any problems, and I havnt updated it recently, unless it automatically updates, I'm not sure, anyway I will reinstall fb to see if it starts again.

This phone is a thing of beauty, I can't believe I survived for so long without 1, I thought the size would have been too much, but it's fine in the pocket. I've a memory card and headphone ordered now, time to start getting loads more apps :D

This phone is a thing of beauty, I can't believe I survived for so long without 1, I thought the size would have been too much, but it's fine in the pocket. I've a memory card and headphone ordered now, time to start getting loads more apps :D

It's a fantastic phone. Not without its faults, hence this thread.

Only 2 issues that I've had are severe battery drain (fixed by flashing a custom rom) and the Sudden Death issue (fixed under warranty, though it took about 6 weeks in total).

There's an app that can check to see if the motherboard in your phone is susceptible to sudden death. Have a look for "emmc brickbug check" in the play store.

If you have a sane chip, happy days.

If not, make sure you back up things like photos and music regularly, because one day you'll wake up and your phone won't.

Looks like I have an insane chip :( Does that mean I should send it back to be fixed before I put a custom rom on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

It's a fantastic phone. Not without its faults, hence this thread.

Only 2 issues that I've had are severe battery drain (fixed by flashing a custom rom) and the Sudden Death issue (fixed under warranty, though it took about 6 weeks in total).

There's an app that can check to see if the motherboard in your phone is susceptible to sudden death. Have a look for "emmc brickbug check" in the play store.

If you have a sane chip, happy days.

If not, make sure you back up things like photos and music regularly, because one day you'll wake up and your phone won't.

Was the sudden death issue not dealt with with one of the JellyBean updates ?

Just downloaded that app and I have the insane chip

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    Was the sudden death issue not dealt with with one of the JellyBean updates ?

Just downloaded that app and I have the insane chip

The fix came from Samsung, with an update to the firmware. It's worth a Google, but it's debated on XDA Forums whether the software fix on its own really works.

In my case the phone died, went for repairs and came back with a new motherboard with the updated firmware on it. So I got a double fix, if you like. New board plus firmware.

Advertisement