Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ED E wrote: »
    Could be the Sudden Death Syndrome. Factory reset and if that doesnt work send it to be replaced.
    Ok, downloaded brickbug and checked and it's saying it's an insane chip that's susceptible to sudden death, next question is that is this covered under warranty given that the phone is 9 months old bill pay from 3 and unrooted

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

duploelabs wrote: »
    Ok, downloaded brickbug and checked and it's saying it's an insane chip that's susceptible to sudden death, next question is that is this covered under warranty given that the phone is 9 months old bill pay from 3 and unrooted

You're covered for a year from 3 and two years by samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm having no problems with my phone but im after after downloading brickbug just to check after it was mentioned above & it says that i have an insane chip. Whats the story if im actually having no issues(that im aware of)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I'm having no problems with my phone but im after after downloading brickbug just to check after it was mentioned above & it says that i have an insane chip. Whats the story if im actually having no issues(that im aware of)?

AFAIK the fault has to develop before Samsung will do anything for you. All you can do in the meantime is make sure you're backing up regularly and keep media on an external card. When it goes, it goes, no warning in my case anyway.

So far there is no guarantee it will happen, but its common enough. Waynes advice is good advice to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

Wrong threadS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

My phone has a few issues

It seems to have gone very slow. With my SII if i was on the internet say any i pressed back 5/6 times it would be very quick to return to the home screen. With the SIII it takes a good few seconds. Its lik that opening apps too.

A lot of the time when i open twitter it freezes and force closes. Also i cant open any pics on twitter expect instagrams

Checked my phone for sudden death and ive got it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

the lag on the s3 if I remember was something related to the s-voice you have to disable the activation button or something ..speeds it right up .....

On the sudden death thing the last update was ment to have "fixed" that problem

With the random reboots and freezes as far as im aware that problem hasn't been recognized officially from samsung so it could just be a bum handset ,,send it in to get fixed under warranty

Vego wrote: »
    the lag on the s3 if I remember was something related to the s-voice you have to disable the activation button or something ..speeds it right up .....

Thats with the home button, not the back button.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've asked this before, but don't think anyone replied....

Can anyone tell me where I can find the off switch for the S push thing? My only issue with the S3 is that lag, and it's really annoying! I'm never going to use the S push function (clearly, since I don't even know where/what it is!) so I'd love to be able to knock it off and see if that speeds things up.

Also, not a troll question - but has anyone who has checked so far NOT got the insane chip? As far as i can recall everyone who's posted on here has said they have it - which doesn't exactly inspire confidence! I haven't checked yet, and am not sure I want to know!

ETA - sorry, S voice function is what I'm on about! (I think.....)

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Thats with the home button, not the back button.

Just telling you what worked for me

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've asked this before, but don't think anyone replied....

Can anyone tell me where I can find the off switch for the S push thing? My only issue with the S3 is that lag, and it's really annoying! I'm never going to use the S push function (clearly, since I don't even know where/what it is!) so I'd love to be able to knock it off and see if that speeds things up.

Also, not a troll question - but has anyone who has checked so far NOT got the insane chip? As far as i can recall everyone who's posted on here has said they have it - which doesn't exactly inspire confidence! I haven't checked yet, and am not sure I want to know!

ETA - sorry, S voice function is what I'm on about! (I think.....)

If you go to Application Manager, All, then scroll down to SVoice, you should have the option to Disable it. You can on 4.2.2 anyway.

I had no reason to check the chip before it died, as I wasn't aware of the problem until then. But after getting it repaired, I can confirm that the app for checking the chip is showing mine up as a "sane" chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

How do you send a phone to Samsung?

My phone 100% has sudden death and its 13 months old. Bought on day of release.

What if its rooted? Does that void the warranty?

Call Product & Customer Support

Telephone Support

To assist our customer service team, please have your model number, serial number and date of purchase ready when calling
    Samsung products: 0818 717100 Samsung memory cards
    Monday – Saturday: 9am – 6pm
    EIRE

Sunday: CLOSED
    0818 717 100

Monday – Saturday: 9am – 6pm
    Please note that our opening hours may change on public and bank holidays. To maintain and improve the quality of our service, we may monitor and/or record telephone calls.
    If you need to call us from overseas, or prefer not to use 0818 717 100, you can call +44 (0)1932 454358. Call costs vary - please contact your provider for details.

Just dont mention you rooted it.

I think I read somewhere in the firmware they can tell if u rooted

I think I read somewhere in the firmware they can tell if u rooted

Doubt it. Not if it's completely fried, how can they access it?

Anyhow, there are lots of articles online about how rooting and custom ROMs do not affect your warranty. Basically, the vendor would have to prove that it was the software you put on it that caused the issue, and in the case of SDS, it is clearly a hardware issue that Samsung have acknowledged.

http://piana.eu/root

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if you got the last update it shows a small red mark in top left of boot screen if rooted,

But rooting does not void warrenty. Mine was rooted and running custom rom, i'm pretty sure even without the red mark they would have noticed but nothing was said and had a replacement within a week

They acknowledged the issue but also sent out a patch for that specific. Problem. ....unless I'm wrong there has been no recall

Patch *might* save you, we're not sure of that yet.

They acknowledged the issue but also sent out a patch for that specific. Problem. ....unless I'm wrong there has been no recall

You're right, there has been no recall.

Here's the latest encounter I've had with the issue....

My wife bought an S3 from Meteor a couple of weeks ago. Before leaving the shop, I asked the sales assistant if she could check the manufacture date of the handset, just to make sure it wasn't one lying around there for ages and potentially being from such old stock that it would have the malfunctioning motherboard in it. I was told that there was no way to check this until the device had been unpacked and turned on, by which time it would be deemed to be "used".

So I mentioned why I wanted to know this, and I was told that even if it had the insane chip, the fault would have to manifest itself and the handset would then have to be sent back to Samsung for repair/replacement. No pre-emptive action could be taken. So, yeah, there hasn't been a recall.

(Turned out the chip was sane).

• Advertisement

Insane doesnt guarantee a fault yet, so it makes sense that they wont take them back without symptoms.

Anyway. The min your phone starts acting up bring it back tell them it's not fit for purpose ....more than likely they will replace the motherboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

had the mobo replaced in my s3 last July/Aug I think, I didnt have the phone long before it was acting up.

Anyway, running supernexus 2.0 build4/siyah kernel 1.9.1 for ages now and only lately has the phone been acting up. Like sluggish, apps FC-ing, hard reboot to get it running smooth again.

ran the emmc check and I'm still vulnerable to SDS.

so I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing now is the start of a fail again or not :(

July ......probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

it's not fit for purpose

bu jupiters cock, you are watching too much Spartacus ;)

Hate that show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

kaimera wrote: »
    had the mobo replaced in my s3 last July/Aug I think, I didnt have the phone long before it was acting up.

Anyway, running supernexus 2.0 build4/siyah kernel 1.9.1 for ages now and only lately has the phone been acting up. Like sluggish, apps FC-ing, hard reboot to get it running smooth again.

ran the emmc check and I'm still vulnerable to SDS.

so I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing now is the start of a fail again or not :(

Your phone is about to die.

Exact same thing happened to me and now its f"cked.

Seriously. restore back to factory settings and return to Samsung for replacement before its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ok, so I've found out that my phone is suffering from sudden death syndrome and it has an insane chip. So back to my original question, Does anyone know of a back-up app for a non routed phone so that when my phone goes back and gets reset or I get a new one that I can get it back to the way I have it without too much trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

duploelabs wrote: »
    Ok, so I've found out that my phone is suffering from sudden death syndrome and it has an insane chip. So back to my original question, Does anyone know of a back-up app for a non routed phone so that when my phone goes back and gets reset or I get a new one that I can get it back to the way I have it without too much trouble

I've been using this
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0dGEuYmFja3VwIl0.

It doesn't require root. It backs up call logs, sms, apps and app data all to your SD card. Found it very handy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I've been using this
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0dGEuYmFja3VwIl0.

It doesn't require root. It backs up call logs, sms, apps and app data all to your SD card. Found it very handy so far.

gotta agree with this, it used to be called carbon and even though i have Titanium i use this quite a lot

Advertisement