Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

What version of Android is it running?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

what apps u installed since its been doing it id question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

do you have LBE privacy guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smitty2

I haven't installed any unusual apps, I've dailymail, 4 pics 1 word, temple run, angry birds, fruit ninja, instagram, viber, shazam, twitter, skyscanner, whatsapp, pinterest, hotmail, translate, fatbooth, spin 1038, rundouble, flashlight, backgrounds HD, photup, cabbage, mirror.
    Don't have the lbe privacy guard.
    It's 4.1.2 version of Android.
    I'm ringing 3 customer care in the morning didn't get a chance today.
    Does anybody know what could be wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Smitty2 wrote: »
    So I purchased the s3 last Wednesday and on the Thursday it restarted itself twice. It did it again in the middle of the night Thursday, again Friday, Saturday etc. I'd look at it after its been idle for a few mins and press the home button and nothing would happen.
    sometimes i'd be holding it and it would restart itself. So i brought it to the shop and he said to download samsung keis and make sure the software was up to date, did that few hours ago but it just restarted itself again!!
    This happen to anyone? How do I get a replacement? I'm assuming the phone is faulty?

Demand a replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Smitty2

Rang customer care and they want me to send it to Dublin- what on earth is the point of that when its obviously a faulty phone as its been restarting itself since I bought it last week. I'm going to go back to the shop and demand a replacement- hopefully they won't try to get me to send it away, I just want a phone that works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ddoes1

Hi all for a few days now my sgs3 (which I've had since it came out on 3) screen has started to freeze! Processes and apps seem to continue to run but screen us unresponsive. Happens every 30seconds to 5minutes and only solution I've found is to restart phone. Have factory reset and am up to date with softwear through kies. Anybody else have similar problem or solution?
    Cheers all in advance :-)

Rang customer care and they want me to send it to Dublin- what on earth is the point of that when its obviously a faulty phone as its been restarting itself since I bought it last week. I'm going to go back to the shop and demand a replacement- hopefully they won't try to get me to send it away, I just want a phone that works!!

Isnt there something like a 7 day period after you buy a phone where you can return it if your not happy with it ?

generally all contracts can be cancelled within a x period. i think its one week. they dont tell u that though and say bring it back next week or they have to send it off..to let the period of time pass first

battery life just gets better and better with roms and updates.
    could easy get another day outta this, but doubt ill be home for my charger tomorrow so gonna charge tonight and get the weekend outta it. how bad!
    getting about 0.33-0.5% battery drain per hour in standby. generally drops around 3% overnight!

Screenshot_2013-02-21-19-33-44_zps20b78aaa.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What rom are you using, Kenyard? Is it CM10.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Be interested to know what ROM you're using as well. I'd like to flash a new ROM over the weekend.
    Although from your screenshot, it looks like you've only had your screen on for about an hour or less maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Be interested to know what ROM you're using as well. I'd like to flash a new ROM over the weekend.
    Although from your screenshot, it looks like you've only had your screen on for about an hour or less maybe?
    Me too, I'm looking at 17-19% on just my Rom alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

ive found using my old htc charger charges my S3 much faster than the charger i got with the phone

if found using my old htc charger charges my S3 much faster than the charger i got with the phone
    If you install syiah kernel (roots your phone too) you can change the max draw the phone has to 1.3amps. There's others allow 1.5
    Apparently it's bad for the battery life long term though. That's why default charges are slower(its set to 1). I guess basic math says that a full charge will take 2.1hrs assuming it's a 2.1ah battery. Upping the max to 1.5 Wud do a charge in about an hour twenty. I have used higher speeds a few times when on holidays etc and noticed no issues and faster charges :)
    Can't wait for these super capacitor batteries. 5second phone charges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭argentum

Yesterday i woke up turned on the phone and the battery was only on 40% even though it was plugged in all night.I assumed that i had forgotten to turn on the actual socket.I had to go downstairs at 3.00 am this morning and when i checked the phone the battery symbol was flashing with no green colour power dispaly.I turned on the phone and it was at 72% so i turned it off and left it pluged in.This morning i unpluged it and it would not turn on so i plugged it back in.Its at 1% battery life.It seems to be chargibg and discharging itself.Anyone any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Your contract is with the retailer, just bring it back to wherever you bought it, the retailer, and get your money back, or a replacement....as per your rights as a consumer in Ireland/EU.
    http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

Faulty goods – your rights

Where goods turn out to be faulty and where you are not to blame, you have a number of options under consumer law. Faults with goods may be major or minor and present different issues for particular products.

If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.

Also, download this PDF file and print it out, it is very clear in regard to your rights as a Consumer in Ireland, and particularly faulty goods, as defined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Like many other people my S3 (not rooted) is restarting itself and the only option really is to return it to the shop.

The problem is that I don't have the box anymore, but I still have the receipt. Am I still liable for a replacement?

DoBhrionn wrote: »
    Like many other people my S3 (not rooted) is restarting itself and the only option really is to return it to the shop.

The problem is that I don't have the box anymore, but I still have the receipt. Am I still liable for a replacement?

See my previous post, and the document regarding faulty goods......

you have a proof of purchase, the phone is faulty......

major fault, you are entitled to a refund, as per the PDF in my previous post....

that is from the National Consumers Agency [Ireland]........print it out........bring it with you!!!

replacement if you want to stick with the S3......insist on new device, not a repair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

kenyard wrote: »
    battery life just gets better and better with roms and updates.
    could easy get another day outta this, but doubt ill be home for my charger tomorrow so gonna charge tonight and get the weekend outta it. how bad!
    getting about 0.33-0.5% battery drain per hour in standby. generally drops around 3% overnight!

Screenshot_2013-02-21-19-33-44_zps20b78aaa.png

Sure its easy to get battery life like that if you dont use the phone at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

major fault, you are entitled to a refund, as per the PDF in my previous post....

that is from the National Consumers Agency [Ireland]........print it out........bring it with you!!!

replacement if you want to stick with the S3......insist on new device, not a repair.

Thanks for all that info!
    I'll do exactly that then a.s.a.p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Not sure if this came up before and whether or not it was fixed but it will be handy to have here for future Google/Boards.ie searchers with the same issue.

For some reason the WiFi would always connect to my home network but I couldn't actually do anything with it. There was no data transfer at all. It went on for a few weeks and never did anything about it as mobile network was doing fine for me until I got those bastard update prompts every few minutes.

I looked into the issue and there's some issue with the DHCP setting (prob IP conflict) and my router, so I assigned a static IP address and now it works. Maybe there was an IP address conflict, maybe not. All I know is it now works :)

System Settings > Wi-Fi > Press down on 'your Wi-Fi network selection' > Modify Network Config > In IP settings select Static instead of DHCP > Try with the default settings > You might need to assign a different IP address if you have a few devices connected to your network in case of IP address conflicts.

Hope this helps somebody :)

Not sure if this came up before and whether or not it was fixed but it will be handy to have here for future Google/Boards.ie searchers with the same issue.

For some reason the WiFi would always connect to my home network but I couldn't actually do anything with it. There was no data transfer at all. It went on for a few weeks and never did anything about it as mobile network was doing fine for me until I got those bastard update prompts every few minutes.

I looked into the issue and there's some issue with the DHCP setting (prob IP conflict) and my router, so I assigned a static IP address and now it works. Maybe there was an IP address conflict, maybe not. All I know is it now works :)

System Settings > Wi-Fi > Press down on 'your Wi-Fi network selection' > Modify Network Config > In IP settings select Static instead of DHCP > Try with the default settings > You might need to assign a different IP address if you have a few devices connected to your network in case of IP address conflicts.

Hope this helps somebody :)

What happens if and when you want to use Public WiFi Hotspot, on holidays or in a friends house, different IP range??

Do you just revert to DHCP?? Leave it on Static IP, or does it matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Having major issues with my S3. It keeps freezing for several minutes at a time. I don't want to have to do yet another reset.

At this point I'm considering getting rid. I'm just sick of all the little bugs. Sometimes it runs great for weeks and then back to running slow and just being a pain to use.

Can anyone recommend a similar phone without all the bugs?

The retailer can offer one of the three "R's" (refund, repair or replacement) if it's over 21/28 days (depending on individual store policy), it would be their choice, not the consumers. Though under 21/28 days and they normally offer refund or replacement. Just to make sure people know.

Knine wrote: »
    Having major issues with my S3. It keeps freezing for several minutes at a time. I don't want to have to do yet another reset.

At this point I'm considering getting rid. I'm just sick of all the little bugs. Sometimes it runs great for weeks and then back to running slow and just being a pain to use.

Can anyone recommend a similar phone without all the bugs?

Nexus 4 if you can get a hold of one. It's an excellent phone, cheap and SIM free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Now the S3 is just turning itself off. Have I any comeback? I got it when it first came out. I'm out of contract with Vodafone but paid a lot of money for the phone.

I'm not impressed at all. :-(

Phone is insured though.

Sacramento wrote: »
    The retailer can offer one of the three "R's" (refund, repair or replacement) if it's over 21/28 days (depending on individual store policy), it would be their choice, not the consumers. Though under 21/28 days and they normally offer refund or replacement. Just to make sure people know.

Hi Sacramento,

You have quoted my post, where I referred to a "major fault", this was in response to a poster with a phone which was continuously restarting itself, basically unusable.

I would consider this to be classified as "major fault" which comes within the NCA advice I quoted, perhaps you consider it minor??

I will again quote the NCA advice:

http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

This is also available to download as a PDF, http://www.nca.ie/media/Yourrightswhenshopping1.pdf
    Faulty goods – your rights

Where goods turn out to be faulty and where you are not to blame, you have a number of options under consumer law. Faults with goods may be major or minor and present different issues for particular products.

If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.

If the fault is minor, for example a button is missing from a piece of clothing you bought, you have the option to request a repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund. However, if the trader refuses to meet your requests or there is an unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies, then you have the right to reject the goods and rescind the contract.

Your contract is with the retailer or supplier who sold you the goods or products so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it. You may also have extra protection if you have a guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer.

I am unsure as to where you are getting your information regarding 21/28 days, and the "choice" of any shop or store as to how to handle faulty goods returned by a customer.

Do you have any link to the legislation you are quoting?

This advice is almost certainly not correct.

Consumer rights are well defined in Ireland, and the NCA was set up under the Consumer Protection Act 2007.

It is a Government agency charged with informing the public as to their rights, and is responsible for investigating, enforcing and encouraging compliance with consumer law.

Now the S3 is just turning itself off. Have I any comeback? I got it when it first came out. I'm out of contract with Vodafone but paid a lot of money for the phone.

Phone is insured though.

Lob it in the nearest river so and claim its been robbed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

Hi. Apologies if this has been posted before, but when I open my phone contacts it can take up to 8 seconds to open, if I hang up on a call and want to call someone else, again it can take up to 8 secs to redial a new number. I've searched for this problem, but don't seem to be able to find a solution to it. It has all it's updates and it's not rooted (I don't know what that is, but I know I've not done it!) I don't know what else to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its still under warranty. Take it back and get it fixed.

Phone is insured though.

Advertisement