Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2012-2013 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Bleak year for Munster rugby 2 clubs relegated! Less travelling for Leinster clubs and more for the Munster clubs, how times have changed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will all the Munster contracted players have to leave Shannon now?

They probably won't but might harm their careers if they don't leave especially any of the younger ones!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

afaik contracted players can play in 1A or 1B and academy players can play anywhere. That said Munster may exert pressure so that players get the best standard of gametime possible which is imo 1A

Down Shannon go, they need to bounce straight back or else they could be in a downward spiral and may continue to fall. Say the club sharks in Limerick are sniffing round for players already! Duncan Casey move to a 1A side like JJ is gonna have to??

UCD hold onto lads or will they still struggle to keep similar side? Opinions?

UCD will be delighted and will keep a lot of payers but with the size of their squad they won't keep every one happy, they would compete in 1b as well as 1a next season with the quality and size of squad they have. Great day for UCD painful for Shannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Fair play to ucd, this will see five Dublin clubs, two limerick, two cork and One ulster team next season, ul bohs and Shannon will lose players to garryowen and young Munster which should see them having strong squads next season.

Players at ucd that may have been expected to leave this summer may now hang on..Coughlan, gilsenan, Tracey, Doyle, McGrath.

I think Shannon are facing a bleak future, I've been at games there the last few seasons and their crowds are very very small, there's been a lot of fluffing around with poor coaching appointments since they drew the ail final back in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

afaik contracted players can play in 1A or 1B and academy players can play anywhere. That said Munster may exert pressure so that players get the best standard of gametime possible which is imo 1A

Believe thats right, Munster are pressurizing lads to play 1A, so thats why i was asking regarding Casey, this would effect Foley and JJ at Bohs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Garryowen had a good season thankfully. About the only positive for the Limerick clubs. :mad:

Bruff were also relegated from 1B.

Garryowen the only positive, got a squad together this yr and finished 2nd. Be concerned for them next season, Lost Matt Jarvis, Corey Hircock, Sean Scanlon, TJ Anderson. Possibly lose out on James Rael, JP Cooney with Connacht and Ronan O Mahoney to get more Munster game time. Have a rebuilding job to do again. Can see Bohs lads move to the light blues

Cookies looking for a new coach and from what i've heard they may struggle to hold onto and sign lads due to not honouring commitments made to current and recent players. Have a very bad rep so think lads will be mad to go there currently. Will need to look at schools and 21s players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Can someone explain to me what the junior interprovincial series is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

was at the shannon/ucd game and being a shannon supporter have to admit ucd were by far the better side..very youthful, better conditioned,more skilful..the standard at the top of AIL is definitely rising very close to prov A standard ...limerick and cork teams will have to take a whole new approach if they are to stay at the top table..the standout player for shannon was sean mc carthy and he is only 19

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Hagz wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what the junior interprovincial series is?

the best junior clubs players in each province are selected to represent the province in an interpro series

backgreen wrote: »
    was at the shannon/ucd game and being a shannon supporter have to admit ucd were by far the better side..very youthful, better conditioned,more skilful..the standard at the top of AIL is definitely rising very close to prov A standard ...limerick and cork teams will have to take a whole new approach if they are to stay at the top table..the standout player for shannon was sean mc carthy and he is only 19

UCD Starting to show the results of their successful under 21 squads the last 2-3 years. They will go well in 1a. Watch out for Trinity doing the same next year! Colleges have a great advantage in recruiting very good schools players by offering "scholarship" programmes and incentives and the results from their policy are starting to bear fruit and will only get stronger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The whole point of a club's existence gets lost in all this apparent catastrophe of being dropped from 1A to 1B.

Club's growth depends on what is coming through each year, it's investment in facilities, it's own development programmes. If goals are met, then club will thrive. Winning a division doesn't earn club anything but an etching on a distinctions board or a very brief mention in press, so should be down priorities list by a considerable way. Sponsors will back a thriving, busy and packed club anyway, regardless of division. There are clubs who have dropped from senior leagues even and are doing very well indeed with memberships, appropriate expenditure and attracting backing.
    Yes, winning leagues and divisions is a worthy goal. It doesn't determine that club's stature or existence however as far more important other forces supercede.
    That's my two cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

CGD wrote: »
    UCD Starting to show the results of their successful under 21 squads the last 2-3 years. They will go well in 1a. Watch out for Trinity doing the same next year! Colleges have a great advantage in recruiting very good schools players by offering "scholarship" programmes and incentives and the results from their policy are starting to bear fruit and will only get stronger!!
    I agree..but one would imagine that UCC/ULbohs/NUIG/corinthians would also get the benefit ...will the new IRFU ruling affect the scholarship programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I have to say I was quite shocked at the result of the Shannon/UCD game. I thought Shannon's improving form at the latter end of the season could push them to a close victory yesterday. Well done to UCD though. The key to their success will be holding onto to the talented young players they have even years after they leave College.

Relegation can in many ways benefit a club in the long run by giving them a kick up the backside. Getting more wins even in a lower division can boost player moral.

A team like Lansdowne has been relegated twice in AIL history and were in Division 2 and 1B in the past 5 years but they bounced back quickly. When a team like Young Munster went down they stayed down for a while before bouncing back. What will be Shannon's fate?

I agree..but one would imagine that UCC/ULbohs/NUIG/corinthians would also get the benefit ...will the new IRFU ruling affect the scholarship programs?

The sad but true fact are that the Dublin Colleges benefit from the Leinster rugby Schools system more than the rest of the colleges. They also get quiet a few from the rest of the country. The traffic going th other way is relatively small in comparison. Pre season 21's for UCD and Trinity see about 100 lads in each college showing up and all of very good ability who were some of the stand out and more talented players in their school or club underage teams half of them end up playing no rugby and the new report by IRFU claims that in Leinster ( colleges and clubs included ) only 5% stay on and play rugby after 21's which is pretty shocking and somewhat hard to believe.

The 5% retention of U20 players into adult rugby was a reference example from a Leinster branch report in 2009 of players U20 in 2007.

Link to report here: http://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/IRFU_Club_Sustainability_Report_April2013.pdf

JustinDee wrote: »
    The 5% retention of U20 players into adult rugby was a reference example from a Leinster branch report in 2009 of players U20 in 2007.

Doesn't make it any better and that's the most recent one referenced. I do think it is higher now probably nearer the 20% mark but IRFU to lazy to put in or sanction a more recent survey for a 2013 report which will impact rugby in 2014-2015 so figures will be nearly 8 years old then. Pretty ridiculous but not surprising from the governing body who spend their time interfering at provincial level and f** king up the national team. Hope things change in the future as they are stuck in a time warp along with the aging profile of senior decision makers! Rant over!! no further comment!

• Advertisement

Doesn't make it any better and that's the most recent one referenced ... etc etc
    It was an example of a figure from the so-called boom times, that's why it was used in report.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

congrats to UCD and Bobby Byrne , his teams always play the style of rugby that I like :-
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ucd-secure-top-flight-status-in-thrillling-style-1.1383368

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

great to see something finally like this

Some of Ireland's finest and most talented club rugby stars, from across the country, will gather for the first-ever 'Ulster Bank League Awards', on Thursday 16th May, in Dublin.
    A shortlist of three players, from each division, has been compiled by a panel of judges including, Irish Daily Mail club rugby journalist, Adam Redmond, and veteran club rugby journalist and IrishRugby.ie correspondant Kieran Rooney.
    From the selected shortlist, the following Awards will be presented by former Ireland and Leinster rugby legend, Reggie Corrigan:

1. Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 1A
    2. Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 1B
    3. Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 2A
    4. Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 2B
    5. Ulster Bank Top Try Scorer - Division 1A
    6. Ulster Bank Top Points Scorer - Division 1A
    7. Ulster Bank Young Player of the Year - Division 1A

Speaking ahead of the Ulster Bank League Awards, Carol McMahon, Head of Sponsorship at Ulster Bank, said: "Every weekend, club rugby players across the country lineout to represent their club and their community. We saw this year, with the scouting of Craig Ronaldson from Lansdowne to Connacht, that our club sides are brimming with talent.

"Recognising player commitments and achievements is important, as these are the players who help to build community pride and passion.

"Ulster Bank is a proud supporter of club and grassroots rugby throughout Ireland. This is our third year as Official Community Rugby Partner to the IRFU and we are delighted to be introducing the first ever Ulster Bank League Awards."

Ulster Bank League Awards 2013 - Shortlist

Division 1A:
    Player of the Year nominees: Craig Ronaldson (Lansdowne), Ron Boucher (Lansdowne), Ronan O'Mahony (Garryowen).

Young Player of the Year nominees: James Cronin (Dolphin), Johnny Holland (Cork Con), Charlie Butterworth (Lansdowne).

Division 1B:
    Player of the Year nominees: Cathal Marsh (Dublin University), Barry Daly (UCD), Stuart Morrow (Ballynahinch).

Division 2A:
    Player of the Year nominees: Willie Staunton (Terenure), Willie Ryan (UCC), Peter Lydon (Seapoint).

Division 2B:
    Player of the Year nominees: Henry Bryce (Naas), Mark O'Connor (Rainey Old Boys), Eoin O'Neill (Thomond).

Ronaldson, Butterworth, Morrow, Staunton and Bryce i'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Ronaldson, Butterworth, Morrow, Staunton and Bryce i'd think

I'd go for Daly ahead of Morrow.

No way, Morrow was by a long way that leagues outstanding player! Most consistent!

Yeah I would do the same

Any news of any transfers between clubs deadline coming up soon!

What is the story with transferring after the deadline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Deadline isn't that soon. Doubt we'll hear much on players moving for a while yet
    What is the story with transferring after the deadline?
    There's a few different deadlines iirc from players being signed from abroad, other irish senior clubs and then junior clubs. Cant remember when each deadline is though

Advertisement