Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2012-2013 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

lurtz wrote: »
    as in played with Lansdowne at mini level? Not too many Id imagine because most of the team arent from the area.Ross McCarron,Healy and Simon Morrissey probably did because theyre locals and went to Gonzaga who have a strong connection with the club

13 of lansdowne 20 came through underage or 20s rugby in Lansdowne

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Stainalert wrote: »
    13 of lansdowne 20 came through underage or 20s rugby in Lansdowne

yeah Im sure many came through 20s rugby,though not mini or youth because alot of the team are from outside dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Lansdowne have invested heavily in their U20 squad in recent years and it is paying off dividends. Many of the current senior squad including key players like Ronaldson have come through the U20 squad. The team that won the league title yesterday is one of the youngest in the league. Speaking of that, congratulations to Lansdowne on a great win in an entertaining game. This year they have just been fantastic, a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

I know of the investment in 20s alright, put in serious investment in their 1st as well with the 21s backing them up. Some squad. Lansdowne were by far the best team in the league, hands down. Are gonna win the 21s AIL now as well (after they beat Belvo i believe) as they'll have the likes of Foster Horan, Marcus Walsh and Mark Roche in the team they'll be tough beaten. If their 1st team stays relatively the same they'll dominate for 5 or more years!

Tom Sexton will be a huge loss, going to the Rebels, Ronaldson would start for Connacht and Munster arguably, so he may need replacement!! How can they replace him, most influential player in the league without doubt. Butterworth looks to be going to Connacht now to and he's a wrecking ball of a 7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Looks like they will be losing their entire front row to more Leinster duty and OZ.

• Advertisement

I know of the investment in 20s alright, put in serious investment in their 1st as well with the 21s backing them up. Some squad. Lansdowne were by far the best team in the league, hands down. Are gonna win the 21s AIL now as well (after they beat Belvo i believe) as they'll have the likes of Foster Horan, Marcus Walsh and Mark Roche in the team they'll be tough beaten. If their 1st team stays relatively the same they'll dominate for 5 or more years!

Tom Sexton will be a huge loss, going to the Rebels, Ronaldson would start for Connacht and Munster arguably, so he may need replacement!! How can they replace him, most influential player in the league without doubt. Butterworth looks to be going to Connacht now to and he's a wrecking ball of a 7.

have you actually heard butterworth is going to connacht or just presuming cos he was on the eagles?

Yeah their 21s are in the AIL final again this year and UCC had a shock win over UCD so that makes it interesting.

Lansdowne will probably lose some quality players next season, that's the problem when you keep producing top quality talent! Can they produce even more? I also hear they are putting a focus on the U17 squad now after the success they have had with the U20's. Get them on board with the club early.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Yeah their 21s are in the AIL final again this year and UCC had a shock win over UCD so that makes it interesting.

Lansdowne will probably lose some quality players next season, that's the problem when you keep producing top quality talent! Can they produce even more? I also hear they are putting a focus on the U17 squad now after the success they have had with the U20's. Get them on board with the club early.

Be a huge difference in focusing on u17s and u20s. It'll be very tough to have the same impact at 17s as in20s cause they seem to approach a lot of players after they leave school
    have you actually heard butterworth is going to connacht or just presuming cos he was on the eagles?

Have heard he's in line for a development contract straight off with Ronaldson on a full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

IngazZagni wrote: »

On their 17s. They played in the schools-youths league. How does that work with regards to eligibility? If you play in any senior cup schools how can you play in this league?

Couple of rounds still left in each division. Games due to be played over next 2 weeks with leagues due to be finished april 13th. Lots to play for in each division with regard to both promotion and relegation
    Whats up with Bective and Wesley. Gerry Thornley mentioned something in IT yesterday about a merger. There was rumours of this a while ago but is it happening? Anyone know anymore?

ormond lad wrote: »
    On their 17s. They played in the schools-youths league. How does that work with regards to eligibility? If you play in any senior cup schools how can you play in this league?

Couple of rounds still left in each division. Games due to be played over next 2 weeks with leagues due to be finished april 13th. Lots to play for in each division with regard to both promotion and relegation
    Whats up with Bective and Wesley. Gerry Thornley mentioned something in IT yesterday about a merger. There was rumours of this a while ago but is it happening? Anyone know anymore?

I saw this also OL, was wondering wtf it was about. Was gonna open up the same question to the floor but thought it was a bit of a joke! Think if its legit it could be due to the cost of running a AIL club nowadays. My question is should this come to pass where'll they start? Bottom junior division?

• Advertisement

I saw this also OL, was wondering wtf it was about. Was gonna open up the same question to the floor but thought it was a bit of a joke! Think if its legit it could be due to the cost of running a AIL club nowadays. My question is should this come to pass where'll they start? Bottom junior division?
    Im wondering a few things on it if it does happen. Is it just at senior level or will they combine at j1-5 as well. Will they start fielding in underage youth competitions to try boost playing numbers
    Doubt it if they do combine that theyd start at bottom. Prob stay in 2A and extra side promoted or something like that.

Ya was thinking about that as well! Will be interesting to watch, could be some interesting developments in next month or so. How are Nenagh set now?? Pushing for promotion?

From what I hear the Wesley/Monkstown/Bective Merger has been agreed by the powers that be. It will now be put to the members if they want to go ahead with it. Sounds very interesting indeed. Just a side note Monkstown members previously rejected a merger with Lansdowne a few years back.

In regards the U17 eligibility question, I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid.

Ya was thinking about that as well! Will be interesting to watch, could be some interesting developments in next month or so. How are Nenagh set now?? Pushing for promotion?
    Would think we are. Weve aimed to get promoted the past few years but we need other results to go our way looking at the table. In 4th but behind Naas who are in 3rd by 8points with only 2 games left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've heard that that merger is meant to include Monkstown, but I don't know how true it is

BDJW wrote: »
    I've heard that that merger is meant to include Monkstown, but I don't know how true it is

Apparently its true alright. Be very interesting to follow. Wonder what the players think?

if youre in a rugby playing school doesnt mean you cant play club,but it is very seldomly if ever done. Generally schools will have words and try get them to play for the school. Being in a rugby playing school also means you cant get picked for provincial clubs rep team

I think that merger would be a great idea for the clubs,try to create another force in south dublin

s
    if youre in a rugby playing school doesnt mean you cant play club,but it is very seldomly if ever done. Generally schools will have words and try get them to play for the school. Being in a rugby playing school also means you cant get picked for provincial clubs rep team

I thought if you played in the SC than you were ineligible for your club at season?? I know at 17s level you can play schools and club but for Senior Cup i'm almost sure you can't

If in one of the main rugby playing schools you cant play club competitions, youths, but sometimes players will "guest" for clubs in friendlies.
    Im asking what is different for the schools youths league.
    Obv if in a rugby school(A in Munster, C in Leinster) you cant play on provincial youths team

• Advertisement

s

I thought if you played in the SC than you were ineligible for your club at season?? I know at 17s level you can play schools and club but for Senior Cup i'm almost sure you can't
    Senior Cup you cant play youths rugby. Depends on area and how many teams fielded at senior level if you are elgible to play youths

On the question I asked about eligibility for Leinster schools youths league. I found the rule
    "Players who are attending a Section B or C school, who have not been panelled by their school are eligible to play in the Leinster U19 Schools/Youths League & Leinster Schools/ Youths Cup."

Apols to mods, you can move these last few posts to the youths thread if you want as this would all be more relevant in that thread

aany thoughts on who's going to go down from and up to 1a?
    heard corinthians secured promotion

aany thoughts on who's going to go down from and up to 1a?
    heard corinthians secured promotion

Ballinahinch on the way up to 1A, probably with UCD ahead of Dunblin Uni looking at the last 3 fixtures.

UCD have Ballymena, Malone and B'rock while Uni have Hinch, Bruff and Malone. Can see UCD winning all 3 to go into the relegation promotion playoff with Shannon, Belvo or Bohs who one of will be relegated.

Bohs have 2 fixtures left with Mary's at home and Con away. Shannon have 3 with Mary's, YM and Champs Lansdowne, Belvo have Lansdowne and Dolphin left so going on form id say Shannon will not go straigth down, Bohs will and Belvo could sneak clear with a win in 1 of them.

Bruf and Ballymena are all but relegated now to 2A after Mena beat Bruff and Dungannon picked up another BP win against Malone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Ballinahinch on the way up to 1A, probably with UCD ahead of Dunblin Uni looking at the last 3 fixtures.

UCD have Ballymena, Malone and B'rock while Uni have Hinch, Bruff and Malone. Can see UCD winning all 3 to go into the relegation promotion playoff with Shannon, Belvo or Bohs who one of will be relegated.

Bohs have 2 fixtures left with Mary's at home and Con away. Shannon have 3 with Mary's, YM and Champs Lansdowne, Belvo have Lansdowne and Dolphin left so going on form id say Shannon will not go straigth down, Bohs will and Belvo could sneak clear with a win in 1 of them.

Bruf and Ballymena are all but relegated now to 2A after Mena beat Bruff and Dungannon picked up another BP win against Malone

Ul bohs are gone, st Mary's are now also level with belvo but they will pull clear by defeating Shannon next time out, having seen all the teams in 1a ul bohs and Shannon are a lot worse than belvo and Mary's, I'd expect to see ucd take Shannon to the cleaners in a play-off and they'll do well next season in 1a if they hold onto their academy players

bamboozle wrote: »
    Ul bohs are gone, st Mary's are now also level with belvo but they will pull clear by defeating Shannon next time out, having seen all the teams in 1a ul bohs and Shannon are a lot worse than belvo and Mary's, I'd expect to see ucd take Shannon to the cleaners in a play-off and they'll do well next season in 1a if they hold onto their academy players

I'd expect UCD to enforce the Leinster dominance of 1A. They'd be a top 3 side right now in 1A. Sam C-M is looking for a new club i believe after release from Leinster, had a highlights video on his twitter page recently as did Corey Hircock from G'owen. Shannon have a struggling YM but as in recent fixtures Limerick derby's are unpredictable. Could go either way, on form shannon win which will relegate Bohs.

Terenure up to 1B too, James O Neill and Willie Staunton have to be signings of the year. Both been exceptional following their time with YM

Interesting is only a 1 year deal. Reckon he'd walk into the 10 jersey, McSharry would run great angles from him, with their youthful backline he'd be a potent weapon to open up teams. Need to get a more dynamic backrow to play off him too.

He's destined for bigger teams. A trial season almost for him, Munster could easily come a knocking if he does as well at Connacht as had with Lansdowne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I'd expect UCD to enforce the Leinster dominance of 1A. They'd be a top 3 side right now in 1A. Sam C-M is looking for a new club i believe after release from Leinster, had a highlights video on his twitter page recently as did Corey Hircock from G'owen. Shannon have a struggling YM but as in recent fixtures Limerick derby's are unpredictable. Could go either way, on form shannon win which will relegate Bohs.

Terenure up to 1B too, James O Neill and Willie Staunton have to be signings of the year. Both been exceptional following their time with YM

Scm and hircock would both do jobs in the Connacht squad, I've been banging this drum for a while by saying of all the Munster backs playing ail hircock is the standout, fast and great footwork, I'd rate him ahead of dineen scanlon or Barnes. Then again I'd rate Roche or lett ahead of all of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

some incredible overrating of some players in this thread.

Ronaldson isn't going to walk into any provincial team.

• Advertisement

bamboozle wrote: »
    Scm and hircock would both do jobs in the Connacht squad, I've been banging this drum for a while by saying of all the Munster backs playing ail hircock is the standout, fast and great footwork, I'd rate him ahead of dineen scanlon or Barnes. Then again I'd rate Roche or lett ahead of all of them.

I'd have Lett as the best 13 outside of the provincial set ups, always impresses when i see him play. Dunno much on Roche, haven't been impressed apart from yesterday. Hircock can't defend tho, is very poor, is a winger if anything. Back home to bedford perhaps

Advertisement