Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Chris Benoit was probably the best in-ring performer I've seen, largely due to how reckless he was towards his overall health.

If/when WWE buy out TNA, it'll probably be more out of desperation to get themselves some well developed new TV talent than to get rid of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Penn wrote: »
    I was completely happy with the WCW/ECW Invasion. They did the best with what they had, and it was WWF's mismanagement of what happened afterwards that taints people's memories of it.

The main gripe is that Shane McMahon (babyface) was the leader of the heel Invasion team, and the WWF babyfaces were led by heel Vince McMahon. That goes beyond mismanagement that's just backwards booking.

The Undertaker is massively overrated.. The fact that he absolutely never puts anyone over makes me hate him even more..

Well it's rare but there are times when he does; Kane more than anyone else of course but also Brock Lesnar, Maven, Nexus, and probably would have put over Great Khali and Mohammed Hassan had certain circumstances not got in the way, they're the ones that come to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hate sheamus and he is vastly over rated because he's Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I love Sheamus, and he will be immune from criticism from me purely because he is Irish, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,350 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Charisteas wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »
    I was completely happy with the WCW/ECW Invasion. They did the best with what they had, and it was WWF's mismanagement of what happened afterwards that taints people's memories of it.

The main gripe is that Shane McMahon (babyface) was the leader of the heel Invasion team, and the WWF babyfaces were led by heel Vince McMahon. That goes beyond mismanagement that's just backwards booking.

But the Invasion resulted in a double turn. Shane turned heel and Vince turned face. In the Invasion PPV, sure, Shane got a good enough reaction from the crowd, but Vince got way more cheers.

Do you think people were just cheering for the WCW guys, and Shane by association? I mean, I know when I was younger, I was interested in Phineas Godwinn's matches due to Ministry.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Motion118

Bret Hart isn't the best technical wrestler of all time.

I've watched a lot of his matches over the past couple of months and I just can't see how anyone can consider him to be THAT good.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great wrestler. He had fantastic ring psychology, was a great storyteller and lived up to his nickname the "Excellence of Execution" in terms of how he executed all of his moves.

As a technical wrestler though... I just didn't see it. Im my opinion, people like Angle, McGuinness and Danielson are far superior to him in that department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I found the Ric Flair of later years in WWE and TNA more entertaining than Flair at his peak.

I can second that. I found him thoroughly entertaining as he almost entered into self-parody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bret Hart is over-rated, and a complete gobshíte at the best of times.

I'd have to disagree with you there, in fairness, he hasn't had the easiest life the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He honestly always came across as an arse to me really, even when I was a kid getting into the WWF.

I know the guy has had a hard time since the death of Owen especially, but his whole attitude about it and unrelenting blame for Vince has always annoyed me. That combined with his attitude to other wrestlers does my head in.

He was a fine wrestler in his day, but he seemed to become increasingly bitter as newer and better people came along.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd have to disagree with you there, in fairness, he hasn't had the easiest life the last few years.

This is for unpopular wrestling opinions - From the OP :
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    No need to bring someone up on an opinion you disagree with.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Bret Hart is a complete gobshíte at the best of times.

If you meet him in person, i'd say you would change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭JoeSnow

Motion118 wrote: »
    Bret Hart isn't the best technical wrestler of all time.

I've watched a lot of his matches over the past couple of months and I just can't see how anyone can consider him to be THAT good.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great wrestler. He had fantastic ring psychology, was a great storyteller and lived up to his nickname the "Excellence of Execution" in terms of how he executed all of his moves.

As a technical wrestler though... I just didn't see it. Im my opinion, people like Angle, McGuinness and Danielson are far superior to him in that department.

Yeah McGuinness cracking his skull a few times is what it's all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Unpopular opinions? Talk to JoeSnow :P

Anyways, I believe Cody Rhodes is one of the best wrestlers and talkers in the business and if given the chance could become huge, a slightly worse wrestling version of HBK if you will. Although obviously not as big.

CM Punk bores me to tears constantly. Even during the summer of Punk.

The Undertaker's streak is pointless, I like his matches at Wrestlemaina, he has stolen the show the past 4 years, I don't like the man but yeah his streak is pointless and he should lose it to a young heel, not Kane. Kane dosn't need the benefit of it, but a young heel on a big push, attacking the Undertaker randomly on Smackdown and build it up, till eventually Taker can't avoid him they fight an epic battle at Mania, then the young heel wins, maybe a shady win. Taker gets up and goes to shake his hand, crowd cheer going mental and the heel just looks at the hand, up at Taker laughs and then walks away.

Bully Ray's voice annoys me, also Team 3d were very average.

Micheal Cole is entertaining.

Oh and I miss the Coach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

A place for me to say this without being lynched, I don't get all the love for AJ. All I see is a terrible actress who ruins the finish of good matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

A place for me to say this without being lynched, I don't get all the love for AJ. All I see is a terrible actress who ruins the finish of good matches.

She's hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I don't find AJ particularly attractive and I think a lot of her appeal is down to the fact that she's not a "stereotypical" diva.

It really annoys me when wrestlers put their hands up to block chair shots to the head, if they're going to do that then just take it on the back instead, it's less risky and still gets the point across without looking weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Speaking of chairshots, I hate it when if someone gets hit with a chair, they're down for the 3 count, unless it's a hardcore match or something similar when every weapon that would knock the guy out in a normal match, just gets a 2 count at most. Wish they would make up their minds.

And on the subject of a hardcore match, what's teh difference between No Holds Barred and No DQ match? And yes, I know Zeus and Hogan were in No Holds Barred. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

The IC title should be retired. It has been devalued so much in recent years that its importance is at best on a par with that of the european title towards the end of its run. Retire it, and let the World title take its natural place in the WWE hierarchy, a rung below the WWE championship.

Keep the US title as a bottom rung title.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

I haven't watched TNA really in about 5 years but decided to see what they were up to and watched two of the most highly rated matches, Angle vs. Mcguiness and Angle vs. Anderson Steel Cage.

Have to say they were both horrifically over rated matches. I thought both matches just went through the motions and little else

jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is for unpopular wrestling opinions - From the OP :
    I'm not too sure I understand what you mean, can I not enter into debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

KJY wrote: »
    Have to say they were both horrifically over rated matches. I thought both matches just went through the motions and little else

I must say, you have a different definition of going through the motions than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

That was impressive obviously, but a match isn't made on one fantastic spot.

Besides http://youtu.be/j4j2felMDSk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean, can I not enter into debate?

Nope, this thread is a haven for people to post unpopular opinions without fear of being challenged/picked up on. It's cathartic. Agree if you like but don't disagree. That's what the rest of PW boards is for!

So feel free to spew some unpopular opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I agree that Bret Hart's matches were for the most part fairly bland.

He was carries by HBK in and out of the ring most of his career, save for his entertaining run as a heel in 97.

Also AJ Styles is vastly overrated and would sink without trace if he ever signed for WWE. Guys like Aries and Shelley have "it" to a far greater extent than he does and deserve the spot he has in TNA far more than he.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Divas'/Women's matches in the Attitude Era were not longer than Divas' matches now.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Nope, this thread is a haven for people to post unpopular opinions without fear of being challenged/picked up on. It's cathartic. Agree if you like but don't disagree. That's what the rest of PW boards is for!

So feel free to spew some unpopular opinions!
    I don't think I picked on anyone and I will apologise to whoever I offended if I did.

Advertisement