Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noonan Reveals UL Plans for Opera Centre

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

ninty9er wrote: »
    UL isn't driving anything. The President has pretty much said - and I paraphrase - 'Hey Noonan, give us a free building, kit it out to our spec and upgrade the transport links so nobody in UL is put out' . Quoting the president - "the quality of the student experience must not be adversely affected"

The ball is firmly, with superglue on it, in central government's court on this one.

That's just silly. The president has put this on the agenda, and has generally signalled a change in the university's attitude to the city in the last year or so. Perhaps he and other senior UL figures are persuaded by the arguments that many are making, but they are smart people and nobody is twisting arms. Of course it is important that the student experience is not affected. It will be enhanced as far as I can see. Limerick is a cool place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Why do the people who are vehemently against the move feel UL are going for it?

Remember it's UL driving it forward, no-one is forcing them to do anything.

UL aren't really going for it though, are they? As has been said, it's something like "Set us up there for free and we'll consider it....maybe. As long as it doesn't infringe on the student experience. Which it will" or something to that affect.

I see zero benefit to UL. I'd hate to see the campus split up in any way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

UL isn't driving anything. The President has pretty much said - and I paraphrase - 'Hey Noonan, give us a free building, kit it out to our spec and upgrade the transport links so nobody in UL is put out' . Quoting the president - "the quality of the student experience must not be adversely affected"

The ball is firmly, with superglue on it, in central government's court on this one.

Just curious where you read/heard this. I know someone who was at the Mayors ball where he spoke and reckoned the was pretty enthusiastic about getting involved in the city.

Not saying you are wrong just wondering where he said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kilburn wrote: »
    Not calling him out at all, do not believe in getting personal here, just impacts on credibility of the comments regarding the city and ul.

In terms of credibility, I took an organisation with zero plans for financial meltdown and staved off bankruptcy, putting a plan for recovery in place. The financial difficulties occurred in the subsidiary company, with which I had zero involvement in years one and two. The company's income took a nosedive, a wind up plan was put in place and I was working on a resolution in terms of impact of debts until I finished up, my successor is now dealing/may have concluded this.

Successive Presidents failed to question the wisdom of advice given and had that company not opened 2 new units in 2009 and 2010 it would be a viable one. All that info is in the public domain, but hey, ignorance us bliss, right?

You should never judge a book by its cover.

vkid wrote: »
    Just curious where you read/heard this. I know someone who was at the Mayors ball where he spoke and reckoned the was pretty enthusiastic about getting involved in the city.

Not saying you are wrong just wondering where he said that?

In meetings where he raised it, and was tackled on it, in conversation with students, where he was tackled on it and also at the UL President's Dinner, subsequent to points one and two. The student experience is the most valuable asset UL has in terms of international reputation, mainly stemming from the centralised campus.

He's enthusiastic about it alright, but note the body language of his executive when they're in the room while he talks about it, or the lack of supporting voices from within the university itself.

This is a pipe dream of Stephen Kinsella's and while I rate him exceptionally highly as an economist and have heard nothing but praise for him as a lecturer, I remain to be convinced of a single benefit to the University of such a move. I also struggle to see the benefit to the city that could not be achieved by moving 1,000 office workers in, they'd certainly have more money to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

I also struggle to see the benefit to the city that could not be achieved by moving 1,000 office workers in, they'd certainly have more money to spend.
    I'm sure the city would take a 1000 office workers or any organisation that would be willing to provide 1000 more people on the streets but thats just nonsence, as it's not even on the table or being discussed is it !
    :rolleyes::confused: surly the "student experience" isnt all UL has to offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

In meetings where he raised it, and was tackled on it, in conversation with students, where he was tackled on it and also at the UL President's Dinner, subsequent to points one and two. The student experience is the most valuable asset UL has in terms of international reputation, mainly stemming from the centralised campus.

so he hasnt said "give it to us free and we'll do it" in an official capacity at all?

vkid wrote: »

so he hasnt said "give it to us free and we'll do it" in an official capacity at all?
    He has said in an official capacity that UL doesn't have any money to spend on such a project and he's currently committed to doing other things. I can't say any more on that as that is confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

In terms of credibility, I took an organisation with zero plans for financial meltdown and staved off bankruptcy, putting a plan for recovery in place. The financial difficulties occurred in the subsidiary company, with which I had zero involvement in years one and two. The company's income took a nosedive, a wind up plan was put in place and I was working on a resolution in terms of impact of debts until I finished up, my successor is now dealing/may have concluded this.

Successive Presidents failed to question the wisdom of advice given and had that company not opened 2 new units in 2009 and 2010 it would be a viable one. All that info is in the public domain, but hey, ignorance us bliss, right?

You should never judge a book by its cover.

I don't know who you are so I was asking the question were you involved in that and one thing I am not is ignorant thank you, if you want to result to that kind of level fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

He has said in an official capacity that UL doesn't have any money to spend on such a project and he's currently committed to doing other things. I can't say any more on that as that is confidential.

Does that not just mean they're going to depend on their usual philanthropists or funding to back them (obviously as well as a sweetened deal from the government)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

It seems to me the discussion forms along the following themes:
    - City - benefits to the city (zero negatives put forward yet)
    - UL - the effects of the move on the "student experience".

The move requires the following:
    - Departmental relocation -
    If the architecture department was proposed, would there still be the same opposition?

- People corridors/ Infrastructure development -
    I just cannot see how facilitating students accessing everything on offer in the city centre could lessen the student experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Sorry to be raking up this argument again but this article about the University of Ulster's plans to close most of their Jordanstown campus and relocate the students to a new city centre campus seemed to be very similar to Limerick.

The Jordanstown campus comprises over 170 acres on the outskirts of the city*. The plan is to move almost 12,000 students from Jordanstown to the city, demolish a million square footage of existing buildings and sell the land for development. The sports facilities will be retained and enhanced on site.

I was against suggestions that UL could persuaded to move a faculty to the city but if it was done on a large scale like this then that would be an incredible boost for Limerick. Of course I have no idea where the money would come from.

Edit *The city being Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Of course I have no idea where the money would come from.
    ...and parking spaces

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    ...and parking spaces
    Speaking of which, did you see An Taisce want UL to start charging for parking on campus. I'd say there would be war if they tried it.

ridiculous idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

pigtown wrote: »
    Speaking of which, did you see An Taisce want UL to start charging for parking on campus. I'd say there would be war if they tried it.

They already do charge

I meant charging in more carparks.

sioda wrote: »
    They already do charge

front one yes, I was in UL last week and didn't notice anything suspicious in the car parks located to the back of the campus

Advertisement