Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noonan Reveals UL Plans for Opera Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

ninty9er wrote: »
    In a word, no.

UL is already ranked Ireland's most popular university amongst its own students, everyone that visits the place on business raves about how well the place is integrated.

This idea is equivalent to recommending that Analog or Northern Trust should move 20% of it's operation to Rutland Street.

Why not go after people like Northern Trust etc... their employees will be around for more than 30 weeks a year. Why bother with huge amounts of investment if you have a near empty space for almost half the year. How many businesses will set up and then end up laying staff off in January, May, June, July and August.

Solutions are great, but UL isn't the solution to Limerick's excess of buildings, a bulldozer, a few thousand tonnes of topsoil, some grass seed and a few groundsmen is a better idea, as is some sort of programme to get families back living in the city.

People don't have to believe me, sure what would I know, I've only been dealing with all levels of its red tape for 3 years, but I know how UL operates. A good dose of reality is what some people need and that's all I've sought to offer.

There is no discussion to be had with you Derek. You answer a question, which can only have one real answer and then go off on a completely unrelated tangent. It is 100% percent undeniable that a vibrant city centre would improve the average student's experience. How this vibrant city is to be achieved is very much up for debate and I will gladly listen to both sides of the discussion, but to deny its affect on the student populous is bewildering.

That said, you do raise some valid points. If UL were to invest heavily in the city centre, we would be put in a predicament where a portion of the city would lie near-empty for a third of the year and there would be businesses reliant on students which also struggle for this period. However, I'm sure that this is something that a city like Galway is presented with every year, yet the city thrives due to the huge amounts of festivals which take place during the summer months.

The premise behind luring UL into the city centre is to assist with its regeneration. Any proposal would have to be hugely beneficial for UL to even consider relocating, as there are very obvious negatives to a split campus. The idea is being proposed as the councils have no other idea as to how to dig themselves out of this hole. Moving UL to the city would be the helping hand the need.

Also, there is no reason to suggest that this relocation of a UL department would have to be a permanent affair. Once the city's image has been sufficiently improved (10-15 years?) and students become accustomed to visiting the city, UL could retreat back to its Castletroy campus. Provided the development was carried out with the correct amount of foresight, we would be left with a great new city library, modern city centre flats, and central office space. The lecture rooms would also provide an ideal space for a grinds school similar to Julie Kilmartins.

Short-term inconveniences for long-term gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

From a student point of view, the city is vibrant when they need it to be, from 11pm-3am on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I'm not having arguments for the sake of it here, I'm having them because there is a clear misunderstanding amongst some people as to the committment from the city, local and national government, the traders, the businesses and the residents of the city to this plan on the basis that UL students will come and they will do what they want, not what those constituent groups want them to do.

I've had numerous discussions with people about the idea, and most of them see students as walking units of currency and nothing more.

"If the students did x,y,z" - That's the conversation had with members of the chamber of commerce.

The students already use the city for what they need it for; pubbing, clubbing and a little bit of grubbing, grabbing a train or bus.

Good luck to all the poor delusional souls that think having 10% of them for an extra hour or 2 a day is the answer to the city's issues.

Taking a birdseye view of Limerick and the hinterland, I imagine one of the primary beneficiaries of a move like this would be the Crescent Shopping Centre, given that students aren't currently on a direct bus route to it and view distance as the main inconvenience in using the region's primary retail collection.

A little dose of reality will hurt some people's feelings here, but better that than invest €100-€150 million in a lame duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

From a student point of view, the city is vibrant when they need it to be, from 11pm-3am on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I'm not having arguments for the sake of it here, I'm having them because there is a clear misunderstanding amongst some people as to the committment from the city, local and national government, the traders, the businesses and the residents of the city to this plan on the basis that UL students will come and they will do what they want, not what those constituent groups want them to do.

I've had numerous discussions with people about the idea, and most of them see students as walking units of currency and nothing more.

"If the students did x,y,z" - That's the conversation had with members of the chamber of commerce.

The students already use the city for what they need it for; pubbing, clubbing and a little bit of grubbing, grabbing a train or bus.

Good luck to all the poor delusional souls that think having 10% of them for an extra hour or 2 a day is the answer to the city's issues.

Taking a birdseye view of Limerick and the hinterland, I imagine one of the primary beneficiaries of a move like this would be the Crescent Shopping Centre, given that students aren't currently on a direct bus route to it and view distance as the main inconvenience in using the region's primary retail collection.

A little dose of reality will hurt some people's feelings here, but better that than invest €100-€150 million in a lame duck.

What do you actually see a city as?

A city is a geographical label given to an area based on population.

Some are well managed and offer good amenities. Others are not.

Limerick City has a university, it is 10 minutes from the centre, by international standards UL is practically in the city centre on a time basis.

It also has an airport, Shannon, just 25 minutes from the city centre.

A city is not comprised just of the streets surrounding it's city hall. Ed Walsh, in gatehring the people of Limerick to fight to have a university, did so on the basis of an institution not slap bang in the middle of the city, but in the city nonetheless. UL is a fantastic resource for the region, and the nation, but I wouldn't mess with it.

I know more about the internal workings of UL than almost anyone who will post here, and certianly more than anyone who has already posted. If it can be separate from the plassey campus, then an attitude will be taken that it is not "the university".

It makes no odds to me what happens, but I would hate for a university with enough problems to be solving for itself to become distracted and used as a pawn to cover up the fact that nobody can come up with a decent plan for something to do with a city centre with a footprint about twice the size it shoudl have.

As for Limerick's city centre, it's a pity it hasn't been subject to a magnitute 10 earthquake that would have allowed it to develop properly.

You obviously haven't asked this student his opinion then..

UL students will do what they want to do, but its up to those residing in the city to ensure that students coming to the city will want to spent time and money there. I doubt many will disagree that students are being looked at as a means of income, but businesses in the city would have to earn this money as students have very definite priorities when it comes to there money, with food and drink being at the top of that list.

The Cresent will only significantly benefit if businesses and the council allow it to benefit. A more ready flow of students in and out of the city, would provide a massive market for businesses to target. If they do not find a way to pique our interests and make us part with our cash, they deserve to go out of business.

UL has worked hard to build a campus that offers nearly everything a student needs. The sports facilities and range of retaurants/cafes are unrivaled in this country, but there is still only so much to do. Most students have hours off during the day where they have nothing to do (studying doesn't cross the mind), and I know that many would rather wander around town than sit in a computer lab or library wasting the few hours they have free. A presence in the city, would allow students a place from to set out and wander around Limerick and find something else to do to waste a few hours.If nothing else, it provides a change of scenery and a new place to sit and people watch.
    I know more about the internal workings of UL than almost anyone who will post here, and certianly more than anyone who has already posted. If it can be separate from the plassey campus, then an attitude will be taken that it is not "the university".

It makes no odds to me what happens, but I would hate for a university with enough problems to be solving for itself to become distracted and used as a pawn to cover up the fact that nobody can come up with a decent plan for something to do with a city centre with a footprint about twice the size it shoudl have.

As for Limerick's city centre, it's a pity it hasn't been subject to a magnitute 10 earthquake that would have allowed it to develop properly.

Just because you are aware of the inner workings of UL, doesn't mean you know what students want. You'd think that presiding over an extremely unpopular student's union would provide enough evidence as to how out of touch you are with the general student populous.

We students are an extremely simple group. We will oppose anything which will make our lives any way harder in the present, for a future gain which we will not directly feel - I'm sure that this is a resistance that you felt with the propositon of the new student centre. If you couple that to a student populous which by-and-large has no link/commitment to the city, there will be a resistance to any proposed plans. However, this is the Limerick forum and not the UL one. This isn't the place to discuss student's misgivings, but a place to discuss the benefits and disadvantages to both parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Ninty9er, I've been going to UL since it was an NIHE in the 1980's. I got my degree there. I was heavily involved in the students union. I have many friends and family who are staff members there, some more than three decades. I worked there at various times in my professional career. I continue to go there at least a few times each week. I suggest that you don't know more about the university than anybody else here.

Are you from Limerick or the Midwest region, by any chance?

There's a lot of ráiméis in your latest post. Your last comment, however, points to a stupidity and ignorance that makes it hardly worthwhile discussing anything with you.

You'd think that presiding over an extremely unpopular student's union would provide enough evidence as to how out of touch you are with the general student populous.
    Argument for another venue, but siffice to say I'm the only SU President in UL's history to walk out of the office with a notepad to wander round and ask student concerns without having any intention of seeking reelection. Most of those "ordinary" students are oblivious to my unpopularity with the hacks, so I reject your premise on asking people what they think.
    I'm sure that this is a resistance that you felt with the propositon of the new student centre.
    Quite the opposite. A plan based on the survey will be circulated soon, it will address student concerns on lacking facilities, notably recreational (variety) and study space (quantity) as well as centralising a lot of student services.

There's an immediate benefit if it's built.

It's also a plan with the backing of the University's President, the difference between it and Opera is that it was widely consulted on over 18 months before anything was examined in terms of siting.

If you wish to have a discussion on the Student Centre and its merits though, the UL forum is a better place.

zulutango wrote: »
    Ninty9er, I've been going to UL since it was an NIHE in the 1980's. I got my degree there. I was heavily involved in the students union. I have many friends and family who are staff members there, some more than three decades. I worked there at various times in my professional career. I continue to go there at least a few times each week. I suggest that you don't know more about the university than anybody else here.

Are you from Limerick or the Midwest region, by any chance?

There's a lot of ráiméis in your latest post. Your last comment, however, points to a stupidity and ignorance that makes it hardly worthwhile discussing anything with you.

I'm from Limerick City, I've lived here all my life. Just because you have worked in an institution like NIHE doesn't mean you have any bearing on the institution now. It has doubled in size in under 10 years.

But of course if you wish to infer I'm stupid or ill informed, then I suggest you try elsewhere. I'm quite well informed, I've spent the past 3 years on the University's Governing Authority as well as 12 months on its Strategic Planning and Quality Assurance Committee, its Finance Committee, 2 years on its Student Experience Committee, 4 years on the Clubs and Societies Executive, 2 years chairing the Clubs and Scoeities Council, 7 years attending it, 1 year on the Business faculty board, established a Better Union Forum (not that many people bothered to come).......

That is all recent, relevant experience. Would you like me to continue??

Stupid and ignorant were the words I used to describe you. Was I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Nice!
    From a "key player" in UL's long term thinking?
    solution to Limerick's excess of buildings, a bulldozer, a few thousand tonnes of topsoil, some grass seed and a few groundsmen is a better idea,
    erm.......?
    Taking a birdseye view of Limerick and the hinterland, I imagine one of the primary beneficiaries of a move like this would be the Crescent Shopping Centre
    Seriously?

That's literally all you can see?

• Advertisement

If there had been any long-term or joined up thinking involved for the last 30 years from the councils we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My point more related to the city's incompatability with progressive things like bus and cycle lanes due to poorly designed streets and also the unsightly buildings such as Sarsfield House and that monstrosity next to Limerick Sports Store.

I'm no longer a "key player", the deluded among you will be glad to know, but there are up and coming key players who are more strongly of the same view as I am

I'm the only SU President in UL's history to walk out of the office with a notepad to wander round and ask student concerns

This creates an image wtf?........!
    I'm quite well informed, I've spent the past 3 years on the University's Governing Authority as well as 12 months on its Strategic Planning and Quality Assurance Committee, its Finance Committee, 2 years on its Student Experience Committee, 4 years on the Clubs and Societies Executive, 2 years chairing the Clubs and Scoeities Council, 7 years attending it, 1 year on the Business faculty board, established a Better Union Forum (not that many people bothered to come).......

That is all recent, relevant experience. Would you like me to continue??
    Beautiful!!
    Committee, committee, committee........
    What power/leadership do you really believe the students union has?
    I'm no longer a "key player",
    Of course, recognising that you once were; ......
    I'd be genuinely interested to know how you feel you have influenced the "strategic planning" of the university.

Do you feel UL has any type of a role to play in the wider Limerick area... outside of the campus?
    Anything?

Maybe I should get one of those I love Limerick stickers to prove I am a real Limerick person and that I don't hate the city centre
    Forget localism's.
    How do you see UL participating in the future of the city?
    What are you waffling on about reconnecting the river pathway (I assume you mean the canal and not the river)

I'll assume we have both walked it a few times.
    It's canal to a point & river to UL.
    Either way why would anyone be against that as it would clean up that canal walk even further and provide an amenity that anyone could use.
    Kess, as far as I can see we are in general agreement.
    You say the city has bigger problems than a 1 department UL relocation can address.
    I say it's a step in the right direction.
    Therefore, the UL proposal & general opera centre re-development should be encouraged?

Ideally, now it's time for locals to kick in ideas as to how it could work in the best possible fashion.

That's a disgraceful comment.

Actually, we could have solved a lot of out problems by not electing Willie O'Dea. He's the reason the boundary extension was impeded, he is part of the ruling party the conceived and built the sink estates which ring fence the city centre. He is the TD who stood by while investment went elsewhere, while Shannon was bound up by the DAA etc.

He's been a massive problem for Limerick city since we were foolish enough to elect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭James McNulty

That's a disgraceful comment.

Actually, we could have solved a lot of out problems by not electing Willie O'Dea. He's the reason the boundary extension was impeded, he is part of the ruling party the conceived and built the sink estates which ring fence the city centre. He is the TD who stood by while investment went elsewhere, while Shannon was bound up by the DAA etc.

He's been a massive problem for Limerick city since we were foolish enough to elect him.

Great point Amazo although I didn't vote for him as my vote wasn't in Limerick but I do think that NinetyNiner or 99 or whatever the user name is did or at least voted for someone of that calibre. Our friend Derek Daly is the Internal Communications Officer for Young Fianna Fail
    http://www.ogra.ie/youth-committee/entry/internal-communications-officer/
    It's not enough that he's involved in the party that in 14 years brought this country to its knees but as recently "retired" ULSU President, he's trying to place as many obstacles as he can to the future development of Limerick. Didn't O'Dea and Power do enough already?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Forget localism's.
    How do you see UL participating in the future of the city?

I'll assume we have both walked it a few times.
    It's canal to a point & river to UL.

Kess, as far as I can see we are in general agreement.
    You say the city has bigger problems than a 1 department UL relocation can address.
    I say it's a step in the right direction.
    Therefore, the UL proposal & general opera centre re-development should be encouraged?

Ideally, now it's time for locals to kick in ideas as to how it could work in the best possible fashion.

Yes I do think we are in general agreemen, but I do see the archaic manner by which local authorities etc do things as being a serious obstacle for locals (and non locals for that matter) who have good ideas that are viable in economic terms and in terms of long term sustainability.

Should the UL proposal and a genuine redevelopment of the Rutland street/Patrick street area be encouraged? Of course it should. It would be madness to leave such a big chunk of the city lying idle. But some joined up thinking is needed. We are discussing the idea of UL moving to where the Opera centre mall was meant to be going, but something else happens in that very area in 2013. Arthur's Quay will be falling 100% under the care/ownership/responsibily of the City council, the same lot who have overseen things like the current state of the Opera centre site. It really does not fill me with any great degree of confidence knowing that large block will be in the same hands come January 2013.

One of my worries would be that we will hear lots of "big" plans for Arthur's Quay and end up with another large but empty section smack in the centre of the city. Earlier this year the now ex Mayor was talking about how a SkyWalk between Arthurs Quay and the Opera Centre might be on the cards and not too far away. I personally know a number of retailers who are still left in Arthurs Quay and a good number reckon that their time doing business in Limerick city centre is counting down, with the handover of Arthurs Quay playing a large part in why they are saying this.

Cruises Street is dying on it's feet. Rutland street and Patrick street are dead and dying. So throw in Arturs Quay and I would be really worried about the knock on effect as there would also be the Liddy street/Lower Sarsfield street area that is in a similar state.

Did you know that with many units in the city centre that interested parties are expected to pay an extra two years worth of rates up front if they want to get the unit? That is exactly the kind of mindset that encourages small to medium businesses to look elsewhere. I have to say that I totally agree with you that ordinary people can do some great things in and around the city centre, but I just get so frustrated when I see people with great energy, great ideas, and great drive being stymied by the very organisation who should be bending over backwards to help people who would be helping the city centre.

So UL would be a step in the right direction imho, but real care would have to be taken that the step in the right direction is not hindered by a similar sized step back in the same general vicinity.

There's a lot of sense in that post, Kess.

There's no doubting that there are serious administrative problems in Limerick City and the surrounding region, and the performance of the city council over the last number of decades leaves a lot to be desired. Arguably, the actions of the County Councils (both Clare and Limerick) have had a greater negative impact on the city than the city council though.

Perhaps all that is for another discussion. Personally, I feel that the three councils should be combined, and within this larger administration there should be another one that manages the urban area of Limerick. That would solve a huge amount of the problems of the city and the wider region.

I'm not here to argue the merits and demerits of students' unions, I'll leave that to where it belongs, but it's not this forum.

I have plenty of opinions on what should be done with Limerick, but to drag this thread kicking and screaming back on topic:

I don't believe putting yet another HEI in or within 5 mins walk of the city centre will have any impact on the city. Thousands of people work in the city centre each day, they aren't going to save it.

Limerick needs something to draw people into the city, or more pertinently needs to create the conditions (no run down buildings, nicely paved streets, more open space, more cosmopolitan streetscapes) which will entice people who currenty dont use the city in to use ye facilities ALREADY in place.

If you look at the Things to do in Limerick thread, there's stuff to do, but people just don't want to come into Limerick to do them.

Limerick was a busy city in the past. I believe the Chamber of Commerce is the lead on this and I'm willing to get involved in knocking on doors to build a network for them as long as I'm still around.

A university will be another institution, but will have no different an effect to daily life in the city centre than the 'big 4', Revenue Commissioners etc. You need only look at the Plassey Campus to see that the University's activity in the vacinity stops at the gates. Individuals and groups take stuff up on their own bat, but that stuff is happening in the city already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

I don't believe putting yet another HEI in or within 5 mins walk of the city centre will have any impact on the city. Thousands of people work in the city centre each day, they aren't going to save it.

Limerick needs something to draw people into the city, or more pertinently needs to create the conditions (no run down buildings, nicely paved streets, more open space, more cosmopolitan streetscapes) which will entice people who currenty dont use the city in to use ye facilities ALREADY in place.

Limerick was a busy city in the past. I believe the Chamber of Commerce is the lead on this and I'm willing to get involved in knocking on doors to build a network for them as long as I'm still around

As you say limerick was a busy city in the past. One bit of the factor in teh reason it shruck is that is that there was more business's in the city area back then and alot more footfall, eventually most of these moved to some of the industrial estates or closed over the years never to be replaced.(i'm talking big companies how had alot of people working near /in the city area)
    By having a UL unit in the city it adds footfall to teh area,it is a stable unit that wouldnt be pulling out because of a bad quater etc and this will have a knock on effect to business's as they will have more trade (you know this is how cities work ) and it replaces some of what left the city over many years and with some other better planing we /you could see limerick grow and eventually fulfill some of its potential ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

zulutango wrote: »
    There's a lot of sense in that post, Kess.

There's no doubting that there are serious administrative problems in Limerick City and the surrounding region, and the performance of the city council over the last number of decades leaves a lot to be desired. Arguably, the actions of the County Councils (both Clare and Limerick) have had a greater negative impact on the city than the city council though.

Perhaps all that is for another discussion. Personally, I feel that the three councils should be combined, and within this larger administration there should be another one that manages the urban area of Limerick. That would solve a huge amount of the problems of the city and the wider region.

The problem with combining local authorities is that with the mindset that exists at present, the amalagamations are a bit cosmetic.

Take the current joining up of the Limerick city council and the county council. It was trumpeted as a triumph as it would allow for quicker decisions, a streamlining of costs, more rates for the city and so on.

But take a closer look at what is actually proposed and there is mention of merging the two councils together under one banner, but that one banner would be split into three or maybe four different areas. So in theory it will be under one banner, but in practise there will be three to four operations in play, and I have little doubt the same standard of communication between departments will continue. :(

I'm actually surprised that more people have not twigged this as it has not been hidden and has even been mention in the Limerick Leader a number of times in the past.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    The problem with combining local authorities is that with the mindset that exists at present, the amalagamations are a bit cosmetic.

Take the current joining up of the Limerick city council and the county council. It was trumpeted as a triumph as it would allow for quicker decisions, a streamlining of costs, more rates for the city and so on.

But take a closer look at what is actually proposed and there is mention of merging the two councils together under one banner, but that one banner would be split into three or maybe four different areas. So in theory it will be under one banner, but in practise there will be three to four operations in play, and I have little doubt the same standard of communication between departments will continue. :(

I'm actually surprised that more people have not twigged this as it has not been hidden and has even been mention in the Limerick Leader a number of times in the past.

I don't agree that the amalgamations are cosmetic. Up until now you've had virtually no communication between the councils and there has been zero joined up thinking. Each has sought to make the best of it's own jurisdication. The amalgamation will change all that, as it'll be one council with one plan. It really isn't in any way cosmetic. I've looked closely at what is proposed, and have read the Brosnan Report a few times. The only division I came across is that the new administration will have different plans for it's urban and rural areas. This is quite necessary. Unless I've missed something? If you've any other info you might post it up.

That said, Phil Hogan made a bad mistake when he chose to leave County Clare out of the amalgamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just out of curiosity 99er you say there that you are more informed than most and give an impression that you understand business, politics and more about UL than anyone else here. That you sat on this group and that group were you involved in the Students Union president of this, communications officer of that were you a member of the students union board that ran up the massive debts or losses?

kilburn wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity 99er you say there that you are more informed than most and give an impression that you understand business, politics and more about UL than anyone else here. That you sat on this group and that group were you involved in the Students Union president of this, communications officer of that were you a member of the students union board that ran up the massive debts or losses?

He has been on the student's union for the last 3 years. There is no real point calling him out. It has happened enough on the UL forum and it leads nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

He has been on the student's union for the last 3 years. There is no real point calling him out. It has happened enough on the UL forum and it leads nowhere.

Not calling him out at all, do not believe in getting personal here, just impacts on credibility of the comments regarding the city and ul.

but to drag this thread kicking and screaming back on topic:
    As if legitimate criticisms of your previous comments never happened eh?
    I don't believe putting yet another HEI in or within 5 mins walk of the city centre will have any impact on the city

You really & truly believe this?
    You cannot foresee any possible benefits for the city centre in having a department of UL located there?

Whether, on balance, you argue against such a proposal; to claim that the many potential positives outlined in detail above either don't exist, are irrelevant or didn't happen..........whatever, is insanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You cannot foresee any possible benefits for the city centre in having a department of UL located there?

Of course there will be some benefits - but the negatives for the university itself will far outweigh the positives, and at the end of the day we are discussing the impact that this move will have on UL itself. Decentralising the university campus at a time when other universities worldwide are seeking to centralise is just pure lunacy.

There are very good reasons as to why other universities are seeking to have a centralised campus - that being that they mainly perform better as universities.

EDIT: And you seem to be arguing because you have some sort of personal gripe with ninty9er at this stage. Lets discuss the actual reasons as to why UL should even contemplate such a move. In my view there are not enough good reasons to allow such a move to go ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lets discuss the actual reasons as to why UL should even contemplate such a move.

Please do, just not in here, there's a UL forum to discuss such things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Clareman wrote: »
    Please do, just not in here, there's a UL forum to discuss such things.

OK, let's discuss what the city centre has to offer UL over what is already in place in Milford?

Why do the people who are vehemently against the move feel UL are going for it?

Remember it's UL driving it forward, no-one is forcing them to do anything.

• Advertisement

Why do the people who are vehemently against the move feel UL are going for it?

Remember it's UL driving it forward, no-one is forcing them to do anything.
    UL isn't driving anything. The President has pretty much said - and I paraphrase - 'Hey Noonan, give us a free building, kit it out to our spec and upgrade the transport links so nobody in UL is put out' . Quoting the president - "the quality of the student experience must not be adversely affected"

The ball is firmly, with superglue on it, in central government's court on this one.

Advertisement