Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noonan Reveals UL Plans for Opera Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I’m pretty confident that UL’s decision to relocate its social studies department to the Patrick Street area of the city centre will be a positive one.

It will be a win-win situation for both the city centre and UL.

Limerick is a small city but has a large city centre for its size which as everybody knows has serious economic / social issues.

UL now realizes that their phenomenal Castletroy campus has acted like a magnet by drawing investment and people away from the city core.

The negative media image of the city is detrimental for everybody including UL, as they too must allay the fears of many parents whose teenagers wish to undertake third-level education here.

Five years ago the former UL President ED Walsh and Peter Coyne did a pretty good analysis of Limerick City.

Unfortunately the recession and the ever so slow reform of the local government in Limerick City have not helped matters. :(

What Urban Limerick Looks Like
    • Retail moving out to suburbs – retail values falling;
    • Nobody manages the entirety of the city: it’s divided up between 3 competing local authorities;
    • Depopulating and looking a bit derelict;
    • It’s going nowhere – even though it could be great;
    • Little development compared to other cities;
    • No joined up thinking – or doing;
    • Economy hanging on a shrinking base;
    • Three huge concentrations of inner city deprivation;
    • City centre dragged down by social and economic imbalance;
    • No heart to the city;
    • Absence of vibrancy and culture;
    • The river could be so much more;
    • Hardly any tourism – very little to attract them;
    • Business areas abandoned after work;
    • The bigger city has no leadership;
    • The city is not embraced by the people – they don’t own it;
    • Not even a cinema;
    • Terrible reputation for crime that’s probably undeserved but these things are self-fulfilling;
    • There is no vision

How Urban Limerick Should Look
    • A growing city for the region – could be a 250,000 metropolitan population;
    • A proper city with ambitious and accountable government with a can-do attitude;
    • A honeypot for inward investment – a counterbalance to the overheated east;
    • A bustling and exciting waterfront – an iconic heart to the city;
    • Vibrancy in the city centre – 18-24 hour city;
    • A critical mass of tourist attractions;
    • Family-friendly city with the homes and amenities that encourage people with economic choice to live in the city;
    • The retail centre for the region;
    • The university an inextricable element of the city brand – connecting socially and culturally with the city as well as economically,
    • New economic activities – a knowledge industry growth centre – renewed synergies with a growing 3rd and 4th level;
    • Excellent transportation infrastructure and interconnectivity with other Atlantic cities – people able to commute between them;
    • Docklands and King’s Island new and wonderful mixed use extensions to the city centre;
    • Several big civic pride icons – buildings and places to put us on the world stage;
    • Citizens taking pride and caring for their city;
    • Leadership;
    • A city known for arts and culture;
    • A city with a vision

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

UL now realizes that their phenomenal Castletroy campus has acted like a magnet by drawing investment and people away from the city core.

With all due respect, UL is not at fault for high street stores and other business entities deserting the city centre in droves leading to the decline of the city. The woeful planning of the City Council, which lacked any sort of integrated or joined up thinking, alongside terrible provisioning of services in the city centre itself is the reason why the city centre is dying.

Until those planning issues are resolved the city will continue to go into decline. Also, while I recognise that this may be an unpopular opinion amongst many city residents, UL has absolutely no responsibility towards the rejuvenation of the city. Noonan & Co. should try and solve the underlining causes of the cities decline before expecting UL to pick up the pieces, as ultimaely the city will continue to decline whilst those underlining problems persist. UL should focus all of its energies on ensuring that the progressive development of the university continues into the future - bringing high street stores back into the city centre from the suburbs should not be top of the universities priorities list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

UL is as much a part of the city as any other element. The city boundary may be at the parkway, but the city itself extends beyond it.

People need to stop thinking in small terms and view the overall picture of how the Midwest should develop over the next 25 years.

We need to abolish county boundaries, forget county Limerick or county Clare ever existed and work towards having a great city in a great region.

By the by, has anyone actually seen any plans for what's proposed? It's impressive (but no surprising) that people can take such strong viewpoints from positions of near total ignorance of what the plans contain (positive and negative).

With all due respect, UL is not at fault for high street stores and other business entities deserting the city centre in droves leading to the decline of the city.

I’m not faulting UL’s success as a university campus.

UL had the good foresight to buy up enough land in the 1970s to ring fence itself against the horde of building developers that rushed out to Castletroy (east of city) after they set up there.

The same can be said for Raheen (west of city) when it built the regional hospital and large industrial estate out there in 1960s.

Then we have Shannon airport, its large industrial estate and its 1960 new town (north of city).

Even the city’s port has partially moved down river to cater for larger ships.

These four areas mentioned are the main driving engines for the city’s economy alas the fifth engine is trouble (i.e. the city centre).

Its consequences have stemmed from the unbridled growth of Castletroy / Raheen (Limerick County Council) without considering the effects for the overall urban city.
    . . . .The woeful planning of the City Council, which lacked any sort of integrated or joined up thinking . . . .

I’m curious, could you list a few of them?
    . . . .UL has absolutely no responsibility towards the rejuvenation of the city. . . .

Thankfully UL is leading the way by showing a civic responsibility for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think Raheen is the south :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

That's bullshit. This is one of the most interesting threads we've had in ages. People on both sides of the debate are making some really good arguments, highlighting potential advantages, disadvantages and barriers to both Limerick City and the University of Limerick. Constructive criticism is not the same as whigers/begrudgers/petty squabbling.

This is a discussion forum. The emphasis should be on threads like this, with good, reasoned debate. The day this forum becomes nothing more than a place for patting people on the back for coming up with one interesting idea is the day I stop using it.

Its quite obvious that people are having a go at each other and not the idea, but I am sure you can see that !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The negative media image of the city is detrimental for everybody including UL, as they too must allay the fears of many parents whose teenagers wish to undertake third-level education here.

And telling parents that their teenagers will be plonked in the middle of the city centre with one of the most horrendous reputations in Europe will allay fears will it? :rolleyes:

EDIT: As opposed to investing in more facilities on the current campus that the affected departments need I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And telling parents that their teenagers will be plonked in the middle of the city centre with one of the most horrendous reputations in Europe will allay fears will it? :rolleyes:

EDIT: As opposed to investing in more facilities on the current campus that the affected departments need I mean.

Do you not think a vibrant city centre would significantly improve a student's experience?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kilburn wrote: »
    Its quite obvious that people are having a go at each other and not the idea, but I am sure you can see that !

And the ones I've seen have been yellow carded. Give me a heads-up if there's anything I've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And telling parents that their teenagers will be plonked in the middle of the city centre with one of the most horrendous reputations in Europe will allay fears will it?

The thing is, though, that putting a faculty of the university in the city centre is likely to radically change the city centre, and the reputation, which is unfair to begin with, is likely to fade over time. UL could have a crucial role in Limerick shaking it off and re-inventing itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Do you not think a vibrant city centre would significantly improve a student's experience?

I'm not sure a vibrant city centre would improve the UL experience all that much, we already have an awesome campus with a nice buzz about it - a vibrant city centre would be nice but it's hardly necessary for UL.

I don't see how/why a university department needs to be in town to help redevelop the city centre; continued pedestrianisation and street redevelopment, better planning/sorting out the borders and development/redevelopment incentives, improved policing and rate reductions would be a start.
    Maybe then we could condense the retail aspect of the city centre a bit, too spread out for its size and encourage more offices and small retailers, followed by more people living there.

Instead what we get is some silly idea to relocate some students to an as yet un-redeveloped site in some bid to boost redevelopment? There'd be some moving into the city by students and some by staff but both are fairly transient populations and given how much of UL's social life is centred in Castletroy, they'd only be spending money on taxis and in the nearest Spar/Centra.
    And at what cost? Possible damage to UL's image/development/integration for some minimal city centre development after it's been handled poorly by the City Council and been done over by the County Council for the past how long.

What I always liked about UL, is their real world work experience part of their courses.

Take two practical examples of UL's involvement with the city's regeneration programme.

Journalism students produce local Moyross newspaper or the Irish Chamber Orchestra's music involvement with primary schools in Southill and St Mary's Park.

Therefore I think some faculties especially the social sciences would thrive better in a city environment than on a sheltered green leaf campus?

Of course the biggest benefactor would be city centre as it would contribute to a better “social mix” of the people living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

What I always liked about UL, is their real world work experience part of their courses.

Take two practical examples of UL's involvement with the city's regeneration programme.

Journalism students produce local Moyross newspaper or the Irish Chamber Orchestra's music involvement with primary schools in Southill and St Mary's Park.

Therefore I think some faculties especially the social sciences would thrive better in a city environment than on a sheltered green leaf campus?

Of course the biggest benefactor would be city centre as it would contribute to a better “social mix” of the people living there.

I'm not sure how being involved in regeneration projects in estates means social science would thrive in the city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I'm not sure how being involved in regeneration projects in estates means social science would thrive in the city centre?

Ah here.....I hope the discussion doesn't descend to the point where people are reasoning that there are no benefits to a UL integrating with the city further.
    It as an organisation has no responsibility to Limerick city centre's health no more than Mary I or LIT have a responsibility for Limerick city centre.

UL brings a lot more to the table than LIT or Mary. (no offence to either of the later. In particular, I'm aware of many positive developments from the incubation centre in LIT).

Take a birds eye view of the city. How would you put the pieces back together? Surely, UL could play a significant role?

Considering the track record of those institutions responsible for the city, should we not begin to consider new ways of thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ah here.....I hope the discussion doesn't descend to the point where people are reasoning that there are no benefits to a UL integrating with the city further.

UL brings a lot more to the table than LIT or Mary. (no offence to either of the later. In particular, I'm aware of many positive developments from the incubation centre in LIT).

Take a birds eye view of the city. How would you put the pieces back together? Surely, UL could play a significant role?

Considering the track record of those institutions responsible for the city, should we not begin to consider new ways of thinking?

Yes new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things. But the first stop on that trip should be a complete overhaul of the way the city and county authorities are made up and in how they operate. And not least in what kind of person ends up in any kine of position of influence.

UL could play a role in things, but UL should not be relied upon as some kind of savior for the city centre either.

All I see with the talk of UL coming to the city centre is a way for those who are being paid to grow the city to pass the buck and point the spotlight away from their own failings.

My own take is simply that UL, Mary I, LIT etc should be left to do what they do best, and not put in any position where they have to carry any of the burden for improving the city centre. If those that are meant to be looking after the city centre did a good job, then the populations of the various educational centres would be present to avail of the amenities/attractions/facilities of the revamped city centre and they would spend money there, but relying on a college or University to "save" a city? That is a slippy slope imho.

Galway and Cork don't rely on UCC or GMIT to save their city centres, but those cities have made damn sure that they have amenities/facilities/attractions that will encourage the population of students to use the city centres and spend money there. The exact same is what is needed in Limerick city centre. Imho of course.

Yes new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things. But....
    Can you see any contradiction in this?
    a complete overhaul of the way the city and county authorities are made up and in how they operate. And not least in what kind of person ends up in any kine of position of influence.

Yes the above should happen. But will it?
    You may as well being arguing that the city should be rebuilt on Mars.
    In the meantime, should we not as a community get together to positively develop solutions around the problems facing the city centre?

When considering possible solutions, should we not include the useless authorities as part of the problem parameters?
    some kind of savior for the city centre either. ............pass the buck...........carry any of the burden for improving the city centre........but relying on a college or University to "save" a city?

The language is just so negative.

A little context.
    We are only talking about the massive organisation, which is UL, possibly locating a 1 department in the city centre, with associated infrastructural "people corridors" being developed.
    It's only one step in the right direction on a very long road.

We are not talking about UL becoming the Limerick city equivalent of Batman.
    We are not talking about UL over-burdening itself to a detrimental level.
    We are talking about a brilliant university lending it's capabilities to the future of the city in a mutually beneficial manner.

You seem to have this fear(hate for the city centre) built on some kind of 'off-the-cuff' strategic analysis that UL will shoot itself in the foot.
    I just can't see it.

Even if the relocation didn't happen, would you argue that we should not be making it easier for students to access the city centre?
    Would you argue against the development of the river pathway reconnecting UL with the city?

Kess73 wrote: »

Galway and Cork don't rely on UCC or GMIT to save their city centres, but those cities have made damn sure that they have amenities/facilities/attractions that will encourage the population of students to use the city centres and spend money there. The exact same is what is needed in Limerick city centre. Imho of course.

Are you serious? Galway in particular depends heavily on students during the Academic year. The university is pretty much in the city centre.

Are you serious? Galway in particular depends heavily on students during the Academic year. The university is pretty much in the city centre.

Galway has the amenities to ensure that the students spend money in the city centre, and use the city centre for entertainment as well. So does Cork.

Limerick should be aiming to have the same level of attractions/amenities/facilities to draw the student population in to spend (as well as the general public) rather than putting the cart before the horse by wanting to bring student numbers into a city centre that has very little by way of amenities/facilities/attractions when compared to other cities.

Limerick's student population will still be similar to what it is now even if UL move a section to the city centre. If there is not enough in the city now to attract students into the city centre the way they come to the city centres in Galway and Cork, then moving a section of the University to the city centre is not going to bring in a vastly increased spend in the city if the level of amenities remains the same as it is now.

I have no problem with the idea of a sectionof UL coming to Limerick city centre, what I do think is wrong is the idea that it would somehow go a long way towards fixing Limerick city centre.

rather than putting the cart before the horse by wanting to bring student numbers into a city centre that has very little by way of amenities/facilities/attractions

I would argue that it is yourself which has the cart first.

Amenties facilitate people's needs.
    The concept that you can 2nd guess what people may want should they choose to live in the city centre is flawed.
    It could never happen due to capital restrictions.
    Private investors will never invest their money into aspirational redevelopments where the current need does not exist.
    (hence the need for public redevelopment programmes)
    I have no problem with the idea of a sectionof UL coming to Limerick city centre,

Then why fight it?
    what I do think is wrong is the idea that it would somehow go a long way towards fixing Limerick city centre.

With a little imagination, the knock on effects over time could be very significant

Galway has the amenities to ensure that the students spend money in the city centre, and use the city centre for entertainment as well. So does Cork.

Such as? I was a student in Galway and go up there every other week, apart from the cinema the facilities for students in the city centre are much the same as Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Yes new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things. But the first stop on that trip should be a complete overhaul of the way the city and county authorities are made up and in how they operate. And not least in what kind of person ends up in any kine of position of influence.

UL could play a role in things, but UL should not be relied upon as some kind of savior for the city centre either.

All I see with the talk of UL coming to the city centre is a way for those who are being paid to grow the city to pass the buck and point the spotlight away from their own failings.

My own take is simply that UL, Mary I, LIT etc should be left to do what they do best, and not put in any position where they have to carry any of the burden for improving the city centre. If those that are meant to be looking after the city centre did a good job, then the populations of the various educational centres would be present to avail of the amenities/attractions/facilities of the revamped city centre and they would spend money there, but relying on a college or University to "save" a city? That is a slippy slope imho.

It's UL that is promoting this, not anybody else. They're obviously putting their own interests first, which is what anybody would expect them to do. They see it as a positive thing that they would have a faculty in the city centre. The rest of us are just agreeing with them.

It's a no brainer. It's a good move for UL, and it's a good move for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

If you mean pubs and resturaunts, ya it has loads of them. Not sure what it has in the city centre that Limerick doesnt tbh. Spent 3 days there recently with work, and tbh apart from lots of pubs and resturaunts there is very very little to do in Galway city centre..apart from stuff you would do anywhere else.. It bucketed down rain for 2 of the days and I was bored senseless there tbh,. I don''t think there is anything specific towards students in the city centre..unless you mean off licences ;-)

vkid wrote: »
    If you mean pubs and resturaunts, ya it has loads of them. Not sure what it has in the city centre that Limerick doesnt tbh. Spent 3 days there recently with work, and tbh apart from lots of pubs and resturaunts there is very very little to do in Galway city centre..apart from stuff you would do anywhere else.. It bucketed down rain for 2 of the days and I was bored senseless there tbh,. I don''t think there is anything specific towards students in the city centre..unless you mean off licences ;-)

That's a fairly accurate assessment. The huge advantage is that Galway is small, or compact if you prefer. In Limerick for example, you have a bunch of restaurants near the George and a bunch of pubs by the Market. Ideally things would be better mixed.

The Market quarter would actually be quite decent if you somehow moved the Jasmine, Chocolat, Gas Works, Olive branch etc there, but that's a separate issue again.

I'd really hoped the council would improve the street scape around the Market by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

That's a fairly accurate assessment. The huge advantage is that Galway is small, or compact if you prefer. In Limerick for example, you have a bunch of restaurants near the George and a bunch of pubs by the Market. Ideally things would be better mixed.

The Market quarter would actually be quite decent if you somehow moved the Jasmine, Chocolat, Gas Works, Olive branch etc there, but that's a separate issue again.

I'd really hoped the council would improve the street scape around the Market by now.

Abolsutely, Galway centre is tiny. The streets are narrow and there is really only 1 main street (shop street), and Eyre Square (which unless the weather is good is redundant) so it feels a lot busier. The "latin Quarter" in Galway is also a bit of a joke.
    Limerick is way more spread out as you say and it dilutes things a bit more. If you were to walk from Dolans to the Locke, its a good long stroll for example. If you were to go from the Blue Note in Galway to where Cuba is, its not half as far. I really thought the shopping was pretty poor in Galway too.. apart from a Marks and Sparks (which is also fairly poor) I didnt see much that isn't in Limerick. Lot of small shops selling touristy rubbish but apart from that ..not much. TK Maxx are in the city centre there also..but apart from that.. nothing. The eyre Square centre is just a big Arthurs Quay.

Abolsutely, Galway centre is tiny. The streets are narrow and there is really only 1 main street (shop street), and Eyre Square (which unless the weather is good is redundant) so it feels a lot busier. The "latin Quarter" in Galway is also a bit of a joke.
    Limerick is way more spread out as you say and it dilutes things a bit more. If you were to walk from Dolans to the Locke, its a good long stroll for example. If you were to go from the Blue Note in Galway to where Cuba is, its not half as far. I really thought the shopping was pretty poor in Galway too.. apart from a Marks and Sparks (which is also fairly poor) I didnt see much that isn't in Limerick. Lot of small shops selling touristy rubbish but apart from that ..not much. TK Maxx are in the city centre there also..but apart from that.. nothing. The eyre Square centre is just a big Arthurs Quay.

Galway has the massive benefit of having people living in the city centre though, Limerick hasn't the same scale. The simple presence of people* in the city centre makes a place more pleasant.

*solely because I know someone will go "sure we've loads of scum/whatever in the city centre" let me say, the presence of students in Galway city centre in the winter and tourists in the summer makes the city centre more pleasant. The same who complain about "scum" seemingly don't want students in the centre of Limerick either. I'd almost suggest there's no pleasing them....

Such as? I was a student in Galway and go up there every other week, apart from the cinema the facilities for students in the city centre are much the same as Limerick.

Superior for live music imho, superior for theatre and arts imho, superior in terms of quality eatries that are not expensive.. Vastly superior in terms of general ambiance.

I'm not trying to knock Limerick though. My point throughout this thread is that Limerick has issues in the city centre that UL cannot fix and that it would be foolish to expect UL to fix simply by relocating a branch to the city centre.

I am not against UL have a city centre location, I am not against more students being in the city centre. I just don't think it would improve the city centre unless those who are meant to be in charge of improving the city centre do something substantial in their roles.

And yet in retail terms the tiny Galway city centre outperforms Limerick year on year in bulk figures and in terms of income per square footage.

Cork makes mincemeat of Limerick in bulk terms and destroys Limerick when it is broken down to square footage.

Both those cities have done more in terms of bringing down rates for city centre businesses than what has been done in Limerick. Both of those cities have had local authorities who have gone out and promoted their city to outside investors rather than sat back and waited for someone to approach them. Both those cities have local authorities etc that try to do everything in their power to make sure that any good business leaves a meeting with them thinking "I want to put my business in this place"

It is at this basic level that Limerick needs to improve. I have been directly involved with the start up of a number of stores and standa alone businesses in Ireland in the past and have first hand experience of the differences of trying to set up in Limerick city centre compared to those two cities, and at present I am involved with two new starts that I have put my own money into, won't give the names to avoid looking like I am trying to shill in any way, with Galway and Cork being where we will be opening. I am getting better rates, better terms, and more modern units for less in those cities than what a similar sized, similarly located, but older unit is being offered in Limerick city centre. I also get clear and concise information from those that I have dealt with and am dealing with in Galway and Cork, I was getting to speak to people who had to stop in the middle of a meeting to phone someone to get basic details for me.

Extra bodies in the city centre would be a good thing, but if the current trend of businesses closing quicker than they are opening, coupled with other city centres being more attractive in terms of cost and ease of set up, ity could end up being a case of the extra bodies just using the UL facility for their courses and then continuing to rent outside the city centre and continuing to shop outside the city centre.

UL to the city centre would be a good thing, but some serious improvements in the city centre on other fronts would be a must in order to take advantage of having UL there.

Superior for live music imho, superior for theatre and arts imho, superior in terms of quality eatries that are not expensive.. Vastly superior in terms of general ambiance.

I don't know, I've been going to the town hall theatre for a decade now and it's much the same as the belltable. Dolans is better than the Roisin by light years. Creative Limerick has really added to the general arts scene in Limerick but it's not something I'd call either way.

The ambiance is the undeniable thing (but not a facility), but how much of that is down to having 10,000 or so student effectively in the city centre, as opposed to Limerick having them 2 miles out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In a word, no.

UL is already ranked Ireland's most popular university amongst its own students, everyone that visits the place on business raves about how well the place is integrated.

This idea is equivalent to recommending that Analog or Northern Trust should move 20% of it's operation to Rutland Street.

Why not go after people like Northern Trust etc... their employees will be around for more than 30 weeks a year. Why bother with huge amounts of investment if you have a near empty space for almost half the year. How many businesses will set up and then end up laying staff off in January, May, June, July and August.

Solutions are great, but UL isn't the solution to Limerick's excess of buildings, a bulldozer, a few thousand tonnes of topsoil, some grass seed and a few groundsmen is a better idea, as is some sort of programme to get families back living in the city.

People don't have to believe me, sure what would I know, I've only been dealing with all levels of its red tape for 3 years, but I know how UL operates. A good dose of reality is what some people need and that's all I've sought to offer.

• Advertisement

Can you see any contradiction in this?

Yes the above should happen. But will it?
    You may as well being arguing that the city should be rebuilt on Mars.
    In the meantime, should we not as a community get together to positively develop solutions around the problems facing the city centre?

When considering possible solutions, should we not include the useless authorities as part of the problem parameters?

The language is just so negative.

A little context.
    We are only talking about the massive organisation, which is UL, possibly locating a 1 department in the city centre, with associated infrastructural "people corridors" being developed.
    It's only one step in the right direction on a very long road.

We are not talking about UL becoming the Limerick city equivalent of Batman.
    We are not talking about UL over-burdening itself to a detrimental level.
    We are talking about a brilliant university lending it's capabilities to the future of the city in a mutually beneficial manner.

You seem to have this fear(hate for the city centre) built on some kind of 'off-the-cuff' strategic analysis that UL will shoot itself in the foot.
    I just can't see it.

Even if the relocation didn't happen, would you argue that we should not be making it easier for students to access the city centre?
    Would you argue against the development of the river pathway reconnecting UL with the city?

Utter rubbish.

A hate for the city centre? What an ignorant small minded comment to make. Especially for someone trying to preach about negative language. I have no hate for the city centre and at no point have I said anything to suggest that. Maybe I should get one of those I love Limerick stickers to prove I am a real Limerick person and that I don't hate the city centre. :rolleyes:

What are you waffling on about reconnecting the river pathway (I assume you mean the canal and not the river) between the city and UL? Was there ever a full time pathway built on that route in the past between the two that needs to be reconnected or are you saying one should be built for the first time?

I did not make any comment regarding that pathway nor did I say anything in this thread regarding how students get into the city centre. So why are you asking me about something I never made any comment at all on? Either way why would anyone be against that as it would clean up that canal walk even further and provide an amenity that anyone could use.

Advertisement