Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

themont85 wrote: »

Yea and the implication was cos it was a League school they were facing.

The League is a really competitive competition.

Since 2005 there's been at least one league school in the semis (and Roscrea in a final) barring 2006/2009. If you look at all those League schools records in the league yes they had some big wins but they also had hard fought games in the knockouts winning some by a score.

Plenty of "Big 6" people simply do not understand how competitive it is especially at knock out time. It is a disadvantage imo for the schools involved in terms of the Cup.

But Knock are a league school now

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Yea and the implication was cos it was a League school they were facing.

The League is a really competitive competition.

Since 2005 there's been at least one league school in the semis (and Roscrea in a final) barring 2006/2009. If you look at all those League schools records in the league yes they had some big wins but they also had hard fought games in the knockouts winning some by a score.

Plenty of "Big 6" people simply do not understand how competitive it is especially at knock out time. It is a disadvantage imo for the schools involved in terms of the Cup.

I'm not saying they should have won by more because they were against a league school (Castleknock being a league school themselves having long, long, long ceased to be a "cup" school) I would have thought they would win by more as they have been suggested by some on this thread as being a very strong side this year in the league, whereas Kilkenny comparatively have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

its_phil wrote: »
    But Knock are a league school now

Where did I say otherwise?

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

anyone know what the league semi final set up is? I think its zaga knock but im not sure

I'm not saying they should have won by more because they were against a league school (Castleknock being a league school themselves having long, long, long ceased to be a "cup" school) I would have thought they would win by more as they have been suggested by some on this thread as being a very strong side this year in the league, whereas Kilkenny comparatively have not.

That wasn't my suggestion. What I said was that strong League schools who have reached the latter stages of the Cup (like Castlekock could) face tough games in the League.

When Kilkenny beat Blackrock well in 2007 they didn't even win the league. When CBC hammered Michaels by 30 points in 2008 they won the league final by just a score and had difficulties in the Quarters and Semis. Look at any of the league schools who have done well and they have had hard league games.

That's the point. Winning by 6 doesn't mean much beyond you've won a knock out game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

Kilkenny did scored two late tries after 'knock had subbed a few in fairness. having said that i think Roscrea are firm favourites for the league and imo up there with rock as the chasing pack behind 'Nure and Michaels!
    'Zaga v 'Knock
    Newbridge v Roscrea
    are the semis both to be played next Wednesday at neutral venues i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

So what format will the draw for the senior cup be in? Is there only 6 schools not involved in the league that means there has to be 10 spots to be filled from the league so who fills these 10 spots?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    So what format will the draw for the senior cup be in? Is there only 6 schools not involved in the league that means there has to be 10 spots to be filled from the league so who fills these 10 spots?

8 league quarter finalists Im certain,then plus two other Vinnie muray finalists? Unsure about that part

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

That wasn't my suggestion. What I said was that strong League schools who have reached the latter stages of the Cup (like Castlekock could) face tough games in the League.

When Kilkenny beat Blackrock well in 2007 they didn't even win the league. When CBC hammered Michaels by 30 points in 2008 they won the league final by just a score and had difficulties in the Quarters and Semis. Look at any of the league schools who have done well and they have had hard league games.

That's the point. Winning by 6 doesn't mean much beyond you've won a knock out game.

You suggested that I was implying they should have won by more because they were against a league school. That is simply wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

In fairness that CBC team was awful. The only difference is Michaels were even worse in 2008. I'm pretty sure Marys (or maybe Terenure??) trashed CBC by 40 points to nil in the next round.

As for the Kilkenny game, well Blackrock should have won that one. If not for a certain Ian Madigan missing the easiest kick in the history of the schools cup.

When I was in school on the rare occassions that we played teams outside the big 6 we systematically trounced them. Ditto for Munster schools cup teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Higher wrote: »
    In fairness that CBC team was awful. The only difference is Michaels were even worse in 2008. I'm pretty sure Marys (or maybe Terenure??) trashed CBC by 40 points to nil in the next round.

Think you're mistaken there, although it is a rare occurrence, CBC did have a very strong team that year. Michaels team was average at best though. CBC should have won the cup imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Think you're mistaken there, although it is a rare occurrence, CBC did have a very strong team that year. Michaels team was average at best though. CBC should have won the cup imo.

I could have sworn that they got thrashed in the semi final.

I could have sworn that they got thrashed in the semi final.

Wasn't Terenure if it was 2008. Must have been Mary's or Belvedere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Marys beat that cbc side 22-10 in the semis.That cbc team were many peoples favourites for the cup that year so i dont know how you can say they were awful,although Michaels were particularly poor that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

funtime93 wrote: »
    Marys beat that cbc side 22-10 in the semis.That cbc team were many peoples favourites for the cup that year so i dont know how you can say they were awful,although Michaels were particularly poor that year.
    that was a very underrated marys team that year too, cbc were brilliant that year... people have far too much respect for the big 6

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

that was a very underrated marys team that year too, cbc were brilliant that year... people have far too much respect for the big 6

was at the final that year Marys were a great team and seriously unlucky not to win it being camped inside belovo's 22 for the last 20 minutes and missing a last minute kick to win it. And CBC were by no means pushovers in the semi

biggest cup upset in last 10 years?

biggest cup upset in last 10 years?

Probably Gerrards beating 'Rock in 2010?

Gerards beating Terenure before that was pretty big too.

It was but the 'Rock result made the front page of the newspapers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

That CBC team was excellent. Shane Grannell was outstanding for them and it was St Marys they lost to eventually. I remember one of the backrowers, if it wasn't Grannell himself being foiled by one of the best tackles I've ever seen by the covering Marys winger. It was the definition of the saying, "Try isnt scored till the ball is down". The CBC man started slowing up something fierce.

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    That CBC team was excellent. Shane Grannell was outstanding for them and it was St Marys they lost to eventually. I remember one of the backrowers, if it wasn't Grannell himself being foiled by one of the best tackles I've ever seen by the covering Marys winger. It was the definition of the saying, "Try isnt scored till the ball is down". The CBC man started slowing up something fierce.

i remember that very well myself...also remember the 10 from marys with a delicious left boot and he punched the ball with every kick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Ian O'Neill was the winger came from nowhere and it actually injured the 6 who I think was their captain. Marys had Jack McGrath and Darren Hudson.

Yeah it was Grannell

As for the Kilkenny game, well Blackrock should have won that one. If not for a certain Ian Madigan missing the easiest kick in the history of the schools cup.

When I was in school on the rare occassions that we played teams outside the big 6 we systematically trounced them. Ditto for Munster schools cup teams.

Any team who gets to the semi finals is certainly not awful.

And no Rock shouldn't have won that one. They shouldn't have beaten Gonzaga in the first round and got out of jail with a draw in t he 1st game versus Kilkenny.

For me it was when Gerards beat Terenure in 2005. Nobody expected it at all except themselves. Terenure were in complete shock, I've remember it being on Setanta and them cutting to the crowd.

And Michaels in 2008 were not "awful". They still had Noel Reid at 10 and a few other of their starters from winning in 2007. 2009, yes they were poor. That was the worst team they had for 10 years.

Any team who gets to the semi finals is certainly not awful.

And no Rock shouldn't have won that one. They shouldn't have beaten Gonzaga in the first round and got out of jail with a draw in t he 1st game versus Kilkenny.

I remember that game with Gonzaga,they were incredibly unlucky not to beat a "big 6" side for the first time. A dreadfully poor refereeing decision really damaged them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Milkinitlarge6

Where are Gerrards from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Milkinitlarge6

Where are Gerrards from?

• Advertisement

Where are Gerrards from?

Bray

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement