Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

RugbyMan10 wrote: »
    was at the final that year Marys were a great team and seriously unlucky not to win it being camped inside belovo's 22 for the last 20 minutes and missing a last minute kick to win it. And CBC were by no means pushovers in the semi

They were extremely unlucky. Ray Crotty did his hamstring early iirc and they lost a bit of their fizz. They had a great back three; Crotty, Hudson and O'Neil.

That was an excellent year. Belvedere won but every game required either a score from them or a goal line stand at the end (Terenure last minute try, held Roscrea I believe they missed a kick to win, last minute try and held Clongowes and held Marys). Terenure were pretty good that year and just unfortunate to draw Belvo in the 1st round, Terry Jones try was excellent.

Clongowes were a very tidy outfit as well and were an inch from the final. Blackrock were pushed on from the nucleus of their 2009 side (Macken, Jordi Murphy, Conway) and forced Clongowes to a replay and felt they should have beaten them. We covered CBC as well. Gonzaga were good as well; John Cooney and Dominic Ryan were on their team.

There was heaps of talent in that year. It was also a very balanced year in terms of the talent distributed and the best cup we've had in the past 10 years imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

themont85 wrote: »
    They were extremely unlucky. Ray Crotty did his hamstring early iirc and they lost a bit of their fizz. They had a great back three; Crotty, Hudson and O'Neil.

That was an excellent year. Belvedere won but every game required either a score from them or a goal line stand at the end (Terenure last minute try, held Roscrea I believe they missed a kick to win, last minute try and held Clongowes and held Marys). Terenure were pretty good that year and just unfortunate to draw Belvo in the 1st round, Terry Jones try was excellent.

Clongowes were a very tidy outfit as well and were an inch from the final. Blackrock were pushed on from the nucleus of their 2009 side (Macken, Jordi Murphy, Conway) and forced Clongowes to a replay and felt they should have beaten them. We covered CBC as well. Gonzaga were good as well; John Cooney and Dominic Ryan were on their team.

There was heaps of talent in that year. It was also a very balanced year in terms of the talent distributed and the best cup we've had in the past 10 years imo.

'Twas a very good cup indeed, full of future professionals. Monkstown were a very big, physical team that year and highly fancied but Mary's (who didn't exactly tear it up pre-season) were very clinical and took them apart expertly in the semi. Clongowes were also very tough that year, gave Belvo an almighty pasting pre-season but came up just short in the end (held up over the line last play of the game as I remember). You're right though Belvo won all games by a score (except Roscrea game, it was 13-3). No cup since has had been as finely poised or in the balance.

Guys who played 1st team pro rugby from 2008;

Leinster
    Tom Sexton (Belvo)
    John Cooney (Gonzaga)
    Dominic Ryan (Gonzaga)
    Jack O'Connell (Clongowes)
    Darren Hudson (Marys)
    Jack McGrath (Marys)
    Noel Reid (Michaels)
    Ben Marshall (Andrews) [he might have left in 09)
    Ian McKinley (Columbas)

Elsewhere
    Michael Keating (Belvo) at Doncaster
    Michael Noone (CBC Monkstown) at Leicester Tigers
    David McSherry (Templeogue) at Connacht

Ridiculous amount from one year group alone in a province before you factor in the Conways ect who were 5th years. As a Leinster Schools team they went undefeated in South Africa against their provinces. Don't think there's been such a tour since actually.

When he was younger I thought Terry Jones (Terenure) had a future in the game. Gary Foley (CBC) was in the Academy for one year and fizzled out. Surprised Shane Grannell never ended up anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Leinster
    Tom Sexton (Belvo)
    John Cooney (Gonzaga)
    Dominic Ryan (Gonzaga)
    Darren Hudson (Marys)
    Jack McGrath (Marys)
    Noel Reid (Michaels)
    Ian McKinley (Columbas)

Elsewhere

Ridiculous amount from one year group alone in a province before you factor in the Conways ect who were 5th years. As a Leinster Schools team they went undefeated in South Africa against their provinces. Don't think there's been such a tour since actually.

When he was younger I thought Terry Jones (Terenure) had a future in the game. Gary Foley (CBC) was in the Academy for one year and fizzled out. Surprised Shane Grannell never ended up anywhere.

out of that list david mcsherry is probably the best at the moment, going well for connacht, future ireland centre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

out of that list david mcsherry is probably the best at the moment, going well for connacht, future ireland centre
    I'd plump for Dominic Ryan pre injury myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Leinster
    Tom Sexton (Belvo)
    John Cooney (Gonzaga)
    Dominic Ryan (Gonzaga)
    Darren Hudson (Marys)
    Jack McGrath (Marys)
    Noel Reid (Michaels)
    Ian McKinley (Columbas)

Elsewhere

the talent that year really was evenly distributed when you look at some of the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

Dom Ryan is a great player, once he shakes the injury bug, he'll be flying.

If you look at 2006 for example;

Blackrock pros ALONE have;

Luke Fitzgerald
    Niall Morris
    Vas Artemiev
    Zach Favirez
    Aidan Wynne (though he was just a 6th year repeat)
    Shane Cahill

They didn't have access to Ian Madigan who was a 5th year either who was sick.

In 2005 Belvedere had Ian Keatley, Paul O'Donoghue, Cian Healy and Eoin O'Malley.

When you have a great cluster of players like that you are going to win 9/10. In 2008 there were several clusters. No one player to the standard of a Luke Fitzgerald, Cian Healy vintage but still future pros nonetheless.

Shane Cahill is a monster, be great to see him come back here and look for his place. Tighthead has been steadied with the arrival of Bent but never can have too many tightheads these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    Shane Cahill is a monster, be great to see him come back here and look for his place. Tighthead has been steadied with the arrival of Bent but never can have too many tightheads these days.

Rock had another monster in Arthur Lyons in 09.I honestly felt sorry for the opposing props,he could have been mistaken for a pro given the size of him.

• Advertisement

If you look at 2006 for example;

Blackrock pros ALONE have;

Luke Fitzgerald
    Niall Morris
    Vas Artemiev
    Zach Favirez
    Aidan Wynne (though he was just a 6th year repeat)
    Shane Cahill

They didn't have access to Ian Madigan who was a 5th year either who was sick.

In 2005 Belvedere had Ian Keatley, Paul O'Donoghue, Cian Healy and Eoin O'Malley.

When you have a great cluster of players like that you are going to win 9/10. In 2008 there were several clusters. No one player to the standard of a Luke Fitzgerald, Cian Healy vintage but still future pros nonetheless.
    Fairly sure Dave Moore was that year for Rock also and Paul Ryan was captain who went on to play for Leinster until he retired through injury.They also had other very talented players like Cawley at lock and Fitzpatrick at 10 and yet they still nearly lost it to a Noel Reid kick at the death in the final.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

funtime93 wrote: »
    Rock had another monster in Arthur Lyons in 09.I honestly felt sorry for the opposing props,he could have been mistaken for a pro given the size of him.

Arthur Lyons wasn't that big at all. There have been far bigger players than him at schools level :confused:

funtime93 wrote: »
    Fairly sure Dave Moore was that year for Rock also and Paul Ryan was captain who went on to play for Leinster until he retired through injury.They also had other very talented players like Cawley at lock and Fitzpatrick at 10 and yet they still nearly lost it to a Noel Reid kick at the death in the final.

Forgot those 2 (knew I had forgotten someone). That final shouldn't have been close. 7 or 8 future professionals on the one team, that's the best since the Dream Team.

Arthur Lyons was enormous, what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Quint2010 wrote: »

Probably Gerrards beating 'Rock in 2010?

It wasn't a shock to everyone who saw them in the league. Gerard's were hyped up and for good reason that year, they had beaten a good few quality teams.

Have to be Kilkenny v Rock

Arthur Lyons was enormous, what are you talking about?

Yea tiny!

337124.jpg

What is he on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't see how he's enormous. There's been a lot of bigger players than that. He's big sure, but not in a extraordinary way.

INPHO_00328976.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

Yea tiny!

337124.jpg

What is he on about?

exactly he's bigger than jordi murphy like!

This is beside the point, Lyons was a big lad for a sixth year and was one of the biggest in the cup that year. Apart from a certain Ian Prenderville from Clongowes. http://www.adrianmeliaphoto.com/ian-prenderville-clongowes-c146#photo

• Advertisement

This is beside the point, Lyons was a big lad for a sixth year and was one of the biggest in the cup that year. Apart from a certain Ian Prenderville from Clongowes. http://www.adrianmeliaphoto.com/ian-prenderville-clongowes-c146#photo

He was such a good player.two tries in the final in 2010,quality pair of hands for a lad his size

jamie lawless of michaels from last year was another one

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

He's big but he is no way freakishly big for schools level. Certainly not deserving of a mention which I found odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I think the moral of the story is that size doesn't make a cup winning team. CBC in '08 were one of the all round biggest teams I can remember and they didn't ever reach the final. You're always bound to get a few giants in the cup but technical skill trumps it 9/10.

I think the moral of the story is that size doesn't make a cup winning team. CBC in '08 were one of the all round biggest teams I can remember and they didn't ever reach the final. You're always bound to get a few giants in the cup but technical skill trumps it 9/10.

yeah I 100% agree with you and I'm not disputing that,I'm saying that Arthur Lyons was very big for a schools player despite what Higher seems to think

That team had ridiculous technical skills.

I agree with your point though.

That team had ridiculous technical skills.

I agree with your point though.

they were coached by Nigel Osbourne who's since become defence consultant at Grenoble who are 6th in the top 14

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Vanilla_Ice

Lads a friend of a friend has told me that a certain Billy Dardis will be making a special guest appearance on the toy show tonight. Keep an eye out, huge prospect for the future I'm told

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Any results from today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TtomRedCM

Blackrock 18-14 Belvedere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement