Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

gothwalk wrote: »
    Sappa wrote: »
    When was the first frost last year or minus temperatures?

Depends where in the country you are. Around our place in Maynooth, the first frost wasn't until the 7th of November in 2011, which is pretty late - we usually have it in October.
    I have a feeling we will see frost this mOnth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

gothwalk wrote: »
    Depends where in the country you are. Around our place in Maynooth, the first frost wasn't until the 7th of November in 2011, which is pretty late - we usually have it in October.

First frost at the nearby Casement last year was on the 5th Nov, in 2010 it was occurred on the 20th Oct, and in 2009, it was as late as 28th Nov. Off the top of my head, I think the 1961-90 average date for the first frost at Casement is somewhere between the 15th - 20th Oct, but this no doubt has been pushed a few days ahead in the new 1981-2010 data set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

In times of crappy boring weather like this ... one goes in search of hope in the CFS ... The last few times i checked it , November still looking nice for chances of cold. Then into December a conflict between zonal and easterly flow seems to occur.

Closest decent bit of cold that i could find below -4 C @ 850 HP
    219977.png

Best one i found and not going further than this date .. :D
    219980.png

:pac:
    219979.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I just saw the weather for The Week Ahead!
    And Snow was mention for the Hills in Scotland!

It going really windy on Friday for most of the UK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRuWcDi2CU&feature=plcp

Not as stormy as it was last year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVd7hTzscw&feature=plcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

When are we due the definitive winter 2012 Forecast from MT Cranium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

October id say but he might give us a little tease before then

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Mts forecast last year was not good , postmans forecast was only one who got it correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Mts forecast last year was not good , postmans forecast was only one who got it correct

I think it was only the later winter months he got wrong, I think he got December pretty much spot on. So to say his entire forecast was bad is a bit unfair :P

Just re stating Su's thoughts about the Winter ahead being similar to pre 2009 winters..

Heres the Winter 500 MB anomaly chart for the NH since 2007 ( the last lowest minima)
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139678

The summer 500mb anomaly chart for the same years is along very similar lines to the winte.
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139679

And heres the summer 2012 chart , looks rather similar !
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139680

Its nice going through the years and comparing the patterns... though obviously there arent just one type of thing to look at but ye... thats one anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

I think this year, there is a chance we may have some cold weather, but there is not possibility of it being like the winter we had in 2009 and 2010 if the trend for our winters is going to be similar to that of pre 2007's winters

• Advertisement

srmambo wrote: »
    I think this year winter, there is a chance we may have some cold weather, but there is not possibility of it being like the winter we had in 2009 and 2010 if the trend for our winters is going to be similar to that of pre 2007's winters

I think so too :rolleyes: ;)

Sure 09/10 .. its our dream scenario but id gladly take anything better than the winter just gone...

Snowday count ... : 1 ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Iancar29 wrote: »

Snowday count ... : 1 ...

Can boast about 5 or 6 snow days here last winter but each episode was as pitiful as the one that went before it.

What I am looking for this winter:

1. A winter akin to that of 1947 - TRUE blizzards galore with storm force winds to boot.

2. Plenty of fierce thunderstorms with lightning ripping open the night sky as 80 mph winds roar.

3. The odd settled day (but not too pushed about this)

I have a feeling that this winter may be a wet one. We must be due a wet one at this stage as the last few winters have been extraordinarily dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

I have a feeling that this winter may be a wet one. We must be due a wet one at this stage as the last few winters have been extraordinarily dry.

Wet is fine by me....as long as the dew point is low enough of course!!

Oh the memories!!!

27-11-2010, 01:30

Upgrading our boards forecast to warn of localized blizzard conditions as winds increase from the NE overnight ... looking at recent obs in western Scotland and the radar, putting 2+2 together, can't escape thinking that very heavy snow streamers could develop more widely soon, and sweep in over parts of Ulster (incl Donegal), Mayo, and Leinster.

Amounts of 10-20 cms cannot be ruled out in these squalls.

very_happy_smiley_face_sticker-p217921057494781911envb3_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Are you reading that thread again Ian? hahaha! I read through it the other night and was getting so excited LOL!!

Currently on page 34... It actually makes me feel like im back there or it all fresh and is about to happen!! haha .. :D just words like streamers ,heavy snow, -1 dewpoints , poloar low , thundersnow .... nearly brings a tear to my eye! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Currently on page 34... It actually makes me feel like im back there or it all fresh and is about to happen!! haha .. :D just words like streamers ,heavy snow, -1 dewpoints , poloar low , thundersnow .... nearly brings a tear to my eye! :)

Whats the link to the thread Ian ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What I am looking for this winter:

1. A winter akin to that of 1947 - TRUE blizzards galore with storm force winds to boot.

I don't think the Boards servers would be able to handle all the posts in the threads here if that happened. :P

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Whats the link to the thread Ian ?

I do warn you .... uncontrollable memories may flood back causing a near emotional breakdown :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102350

I do warn you .... uncontrollable memories may flood back causing a near emotional breakdown :rolleyes:

If you haven't had a breakdown yet Ian, have a look at 1947.

archives-1947-1-30-12-1.png

:P

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102350

Listen here Ian

It is simply DEFINITELY going to happen this year

I don't care what I have to do, who I have to sell my soul to, ITS HAPPENING :pac:

If you haven't had a breakdown yet Ian, have a look at 1947.

archives-1947-1-30-12-1.png

:P

Please......Stop..... :eek:

UnWIK.gif

OK , someone explain how they can rebuild such charts from back then??? :/

Oh hang on, you meant how do they know !

UnWIK.gif

OK , someone explain how they can rebuild such charts from back then???

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.20thC_ReanV2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nobody dare mention the Isle of Man shadow.......................

Dont worry , that has been...... taken care of.... :rolleyes: ;)

220198.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Cue Calibos post with the giant finger :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I want 1947 and I want it now!! :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement