Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

pauldry wrote: »
    I expect a mild Winter this year but you dont always get what you expect.

Basically if push came to shove Id say

December Mild
    January Mild
    February Cooler

No Christmas 2010 episodes anyways

Its too far away to predict though and a lot can change but I expect parts of Europe and US to get a very cold Winter coz of the warm Summer to balance their climates.

Our Summer hasnt been very warm apart from August and even that has been wet

Reverse physiology ...... I LIKE IT ! ;)

Musicman2000 Ive being watching the CFS daily charts and looking at the trends, I would expect a cold November and December and Jan and Feb to be around average to mild

I'll go for a cold late november and december.... repeat of 2010 ;) :rolleyes:

I found the first decent one the CFS... hehehe ;)

400374_10151190661771718_541139019_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The one problem we could have is the azores high, like last winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The one problem we could have is the azores high, like last winter.

Could someone explain what this Azores High is, where the Azores is and how an "Azores High" effects the Irish winter?!?

Could someone explain what this Azores High is, where the Azores is and how an "Azores High" effects the Irish winter?!?

Its a semi permanent high pressure system located just off the west coast of africa. In summer if it was to move up near us it would increase the chances for dry calm , sunny weather, but in winter if it moves up and locks in place in can block the colder air to the north from filtering in and then just brings mild wet winter . Thats just my simplified version of it now..

Basically we want it to bugger off way down south or west which should increase a cold spell being locked in place for a good period of time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Hoping for a mild dry winter with sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Sappa wrote: »
    Hoping for a mild dry winter with sunny days.
    Where's the no thanks button ;( we want snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

A bad winter would wash away our road for good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

interesting video ......

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

:eek: Only problem with Gavin Partridge is he is an amateur who will be probably way off. He is suggesting a positive AO for this coming winter as May was mostly in a positive phase. He uses old fashioned methods when forecasting. My own view is to treat what he says with a pinch of salt, Saying that he could be right but I doubt it. The NOAA are still predicting a Weak El Nino or neutral conditions this autumn/winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If you look at the nao charts from climate prediction center ,it shows that the nao was negative to neutral for most or the month of may and went positive for less than 7 days. so to me would that not mean that may would have been classed as a negative month or neutral rather than a positive one

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

ZX7R wrote: »
    If you look at the nao charts from climate prediction center ,it shows that the nao was negative to neutral for most or the month of may and went positive for less than 7 days. so to me would that not mean that may would have been classed as a negative month or neutral rather than a positive one

you are correct, May was a mostly negative/neutral month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

ZX7R wrote: »

you are correct, May was a mostly negative/neutral month. :D
    Is joe b still going with a very cold winter uk and ire , he was going with neg nao

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I think he is still going with a cold winter for us, REDSUNSET had a chart at the start of this tread from him ,maybe REDSUNSET can please tell us where he got this chart ,because i can find very little from joe b about winter 2012/2013 for europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WinterLove

I Love winter (My username) Can somebody give me links to check for snow this winter

WinterLove wrote: »
    I Love winter (My username) Can somebody give me links to check for snow this winter

type winter 2012 2013 into google and youtube , you will find plenty to read and watch for now !!!
    im sure once we get into late sep / early oct there will be plenty of forecasts and talk about the upcoming winter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

WinterLove wrote: »

There are links but any forecast this early is not something to be relying on. Remember long range weather forecasting is still fairly impossible for most.

But since you asked according to the Met Office probability charts, however, (they still do long-range charts but they don't forecast.) the chance of a "well-below" average winter is quite high for this part of the world. :)

extreme_20120801_temp2m_months24_europe_prob_public.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Good vid from Dr D Aleo on the NAO, sea temps etc...

A lot of the regular posters are aware of this theory.
    He still shows some interesting comparisons.

Here's to the blizzards of winter 2012-2013. :pac:

Also I've noticed that the QBO has really tanked like it did prior to Nov/Dec 2010. Don't get too excited though as their were other times when this happened and we still ended up with blow torch winters.

All helps to aid in a lot of northern blocking by the easier transportation from tropics to help give a weakened polar vortex and support a strat warming. Anyway we're still a long way off and it's really folly to make any presumptions so early.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/qbo.u30.index

I'll included last years Strat thread for the newer folks on here as it helps to explain a complicated subject. I'll start a new thread in November.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056438481

Posted yesterday by the Lodge we stayed in up in Abisko, Northern Sweden back in January
    Summer has left the building... Bore is coming!!!
    (1000 likes and it´s gonna be a crazy Aurora and skiing winter) :D
    305043_462610050427450_683020982_n.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

There are links but any forecast this early is not something to be relying on. Remember long range weather forecasting is still fairly impossible for most.

But since you asked according to the Met Office probability charts, however, (they still do long-range charts but they don't forecast.) the chance of a "well-below" average winter is quite high for this part of the world. :)

extreme_20120801_temp2m_months24_europe_prob_public.png

Sorry, that charts for Autumn, mostly.

Here's the winter one. As you can see the probability for well-below average temperatures is even higher than that for Autumn. But take it with a pinch of salt.

extreme_20120801_temp2m_months46_europe_prob_public.png

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Ohh god please be true lol All I want this Christmas/Winter is now, nothing else.

Got Down to -1.6C in Scotland last night! :D
    It was a record breaking night for low temps in some places overnight. Coldest was Tulloch Bridge in the Highlands which dropped to -1.6c. Milder tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Nooooo,
    Sunny mild and calm is tge perfect winter.
    No cold or wet weather please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sappa wrote: »
    Nooooo,
    Sunny mild and calm is tge perfect winter. summer
    No cold or wet weather please
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm starting to get the itch that only snow can stop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I'm starting to get the itch that only snow can stop:)

Ah here im the same, liking a nip in the air recently, lets hope winter comes quickly !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Ah here im the same, liking a nip in the air recently, lets hope winter comes quickly !
    But takes it's time to leave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement