Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain certainly wasnt relentless here all day, bad this morning but drizzely muck all afternoon and evening with the odd short burst of proper rain. Still properly miserable tho and a signs of things to come lasting up to September:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

36.6mm so far today as another pulse of heavier rain arrives.

Monthly total now at 100.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Are you sure thats correct? The wicklowweather.com station is only measuring 32mm and it's not like Ashford is a big place.

It's further out of the village on the coastal plain, a good couple of miles. All I can say is link is for my station and it's ****ed down. Recalibrated the gauge couple of weeks ago, so though the reading is very high that's what it tells me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Spheric recorded just south of Kilkenny town. Anyone to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very Impressive totals there lostinashford

14.4mm here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Spheric recorded just south of Kilkenny town. Anyone to confirm?

Shame on you, it is Kilkenny city :D:p

6 miles north of the city and I heard nothing or saw nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Min wrote: »
    Shame on you, it is Kilkenny city :D:p

6 miles north of the city and I heard nothing or saw nothing.

Apologies ...wooopsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

this is not on. wind now howling outside and rain. the weather is screwed. aren't we supposed to get a heatwave and glorious sunshine taunting all the exam students around about now.

other than that, nice listening to the howling wind here in cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Cycled to work this morning at 6am (D12) had a bit of drizzle. Cycled home at 10pm and had the same amount. Was expecting much more particulary with regards to wind. It was very calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Nabber wrote: »
    Cycled to work this morning at 6am (D12) had a bit of drizzle. Cycled home at 10pm and had the same amount. Was expecting much more particulary with regards to wind. It was very calm.

Reminds me of bringing in the cows to milk, got them in between the downpours.

Total so far for the day stands at 27.0mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like some eastern areas are getting lucky just on the east side of the rotating precip.

Many areas really look like getting drenched

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

As up to 11pm, Knock Airport is the 2nd reporting synoptic station to break the 40.0mm mark since midnight with the station's 23hr total standing at 40.8mm

Other stations: Shannon - 46.6mm, Sherkin - 33.3mm, Claremorris - 28.8mm., Cork Airport - 28.5mm and Gurteen 25.5mm.

Valentia now has the lowest total of all the stations today, just 9.5mm here up to 11pm.

Gotten fairly wild in Tuam in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann upadte 2314-Further rain overnight, with some heavy falls expected, especially over Connacht, Munster and Ulster, with some further flooding. Drier for a time in the east and southeast, but rain will intensify here again later in the night. Rain will ease in the southwest towards dawn. Becoming quite windy overnight also, with strong and gusty northwest winds developing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What happens the other 100s of rainfall stations across the country operated by met eireann, on a rain event like this are the totals for the specific day ever recorded or how does that work?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Reports of a few rivers bursting in the midlands region. Mainly from Facebook though so can't really confirm it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its five to midnight....time to head over to Met Eireann!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    this is not on. wind now howling outside and rain. the weather is screwed. aren't we supposed to get a heatwave and glorious sunshine taunting all the exam students around about now. other than that, nice listening to the howling wind here in cork :D

NO, that's the LAST bottle of wine, and the heat of June is us not knowing the answers, stand by in September for RECORD results.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Tis a weather forum Su, we're all obsessed in some way:pac:

It's a bad weather forum more like it there's always more interest in bad weather than good
    when we had record breaking temperatures in march this place was like a ghost town in the evening yet there's rain today and we have over 100 viewing

Anyway has been raining here in the north east non stop now for 12 hours feck them farmers praying for rain

Good weather doesn't threaten lives & property like bad weather. Fore warning is fore arming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Good weather doesn't threaten lives & property like bad weather. Fore warning is fore arming.

TBH, any weather threatens, a good weather heatwave, weakens your property,for the hundred year storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

WICKLOW: Flooding on the Ashford to Roundwood Rd. Take extreme care. See http://www.aaroadwatch.ie

LIMERICK:Broadford/Drumcollogher Rd in Newcastlewest & Newcastlewest/Drumcollogher Rd at Banogue Bridge are impassable- t.co/gWm3zaDM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Pangea wrote: »
    What happens the other 100s of rainfall stations across the country operated by met eireann, on a rain event like this are the totals for the specific day ever recorded or how does that work?

I operate one such station...

at 9UTC (10am during summer) every morning, I retrieve the 1.5 litre bottle from inside the gauge and replace it with an empty one. The contents are poured into a measuring glass and this gives us the amount of rain in mm. This gives the 24 hour total for this area. I email Met Eireann the data on, usually every few days and this is followed on by a written card every months end.

Other remote stations on mountain-tops are usually only measured once a month.

The night of the All Ireland Hurling Final 2010 was an extreme event rainfall-wise. The 1.5l bottle overflowed! Luckily there is an overflow bucket inside the gauge... the total was 83.3mm for the 24hr period to 10am. We know that the rain started the night before around 9pm so it was 13hrs that gave all that rain! Furthermore, another 38.9mm fell in the following few hours after 10am. This gave a 48hr official total of 122.2mm, but it could be trimmed down close to 24hrs as we have a fair idea of when the rains started and stopped.

Tomorrow mornings measurement won't be quite as dramatic as that. In the event of a serious measurement of rainfall or indeed temperature is worthy of news I will usually phone it into Met Eireann. Indeed only a couple of phonecalls have been made since recording began here in 2009... the rainfall mentioned above and the -14c low during December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It hasn't been that spectacular here in West Waterford/Tipp border, but it does feel like November except for the temperature. Some nice strong bursts of rain interspersed with mucky showery weather.
    I was in Clonmel today for a spectacular downpour allright, at around 10.30 am. :eek:
    It must have happened in my place near the Knockmealdowns too as I came back to find the house alarm had gone into fault ! I'm assuming it was the downpour (no evidence of anything else).
    The wind outside reminds me of the few windy events over the winter right now. Not extremely strong but sustained.

I'm one of these people who come on here when the weather is bad only, simply because when it's good I'm too busy catching up with everything I want/need to do in good weather ! No time for internet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

The Global Warming Theorists would say this is an episode of the 'Little European Monsoon', which is becoming more intense.
    See the following Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsoon#Europe
    And we can all remember June 2011 Boards Results:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056281486&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

32mm of rain now in Sligo since 10am yesterday morning. Its still raining steady with a few heavy bursts.

Hey theres a heatwave coming mid June:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well I'm getting a hammering here the last few hours as it pivots. I'm right next to inner arc and would love to know how much has fallen but sadly my closest Met station is Oak Park and that's just inside the dry zone. Has been Relentless. Seriously.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Danno wrote: »
    I operate one such station...

at 9UTC (10am during summer) every morning, I retrieve the 1.5 litre bottle from inside the gauge and replace it with an empty one. The contents are poured into a measuring glass and this gives us the amount of rain in mm. This gives the 24 hour total for this area. I email Met Eireann the data on, usually every few days and this is followed on by a written card every months end.

Is pouring the contents not introducing an error, especially with low (say 0.1 mm) rainfall amounts, as there will be a residue left in the bottle? Would it not be more accurate to initially tare the bottle, and then accurately weigh it with its contents each time to get the weight of the water? Of course you would need a decent balance for this, but when it comes to reporting say 0.1 mm totals, surely it becomes difficult to accurately measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Su Campu wrote: »
    Is pouring the contents not introducing an error, especially with low (say 0.1 mm) rainfall amounts, as there will be a residue left in the bottle? Would it not be more accurate to initially tare the bottle, and then accurately weigh it with its contents each time to get the weight of the water? Of course you would need a decent balance for this, but when it comes to reporting say 0.1 mm totals, surely it becomes difficult to accurately measure?
    I'd imagine that the error is minimised by having a large ratio between the area of the collector funnel and the gathering tube/glass vessel. A ratio of 50:1 would ensure that 0.1mm of rain would measure 5mm in the measuring vessel.

Very little residue on the plastic bottles Su as I tap it all out carefully. A single drop hardly measures at all. Anything below 0.1mm is called tr (trace). It's a reliable system. The bottom of the measuring glass tapers into a point. The AWS here is usually within 6% of modest falls and 10% of light falls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOxLrMaWA8

Watch from 0.45 on towards 3min... shows the manual gauge and the AWS gague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Parts of east laois/west kildare/Kilkenny getting hammered the last while.

Here in my part of Kildare been teeming down for an hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement