Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well it's not long ago that the reservoirs were close to empty so I would think we will largely come off unscathed as regards rivers flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Just under 27mm of rain in Athlone since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Well it's not long ago that the reservoirs were close to empty so I would think we will largely come off unscathed as regards rivers flooding.
    Not so sure about that!
    It was back in March that the reservoirs were very low, since then April was very wet, May was generally around average but so far (where I am) June rainfall is about 150% already after only one week. So no soil moisture deficit then.
    The Shannon is a slow moving river and floods easier than a fast moving river near the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

pauldry wrote: »
    up to 60mm in Sligo now in 25hours. Still a few more hours left.

Had my rain gauge 5 years (yes its lasted long) and the previous record was 46mm in Sligo in July 2007 thunderstorms

Im in Coolaney
    Here is my rain gauge since 1am from my maplin station
    64.2mm so far.

208120.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still pouring down here in west Donegal, no rain gauge but we must be quite a bit above 50mm by now

If I'm reading it right, Knock airport was on 89.4mm up to midday and its still quite a while before it clears there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It's getting colder and colder here at 9.4C, I do love the summer and it's higher temperatures :p

Min wrote: »
    It's getting colder and colder here at 9.4C, I do love the summer and it's higher temperatures :p

Where's here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Where's here?

The hills north of Kilkenny city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Have to say I am a little confused by Shannon's 41.6mm total on the yesterday's met reports. The hourly reports from the station for yesterday amounted to 46.7mm. Even Siobhan Ryan on the 9 news yesterday had Shannon at 41.0mm (which I can only assume was the total up to 8pm as it was at 40.6mm by this point at that station). A further 5.8mm fell between 9pm and midnight. Must be something to do with quality control or something but I notice the synoptic totals on Ogimet were slightly less alright. I dunno, it is all over my head! :o

Edit: Local total here from the event was 39mm. Spits continue in the breeze but not amounting to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I love the ad on this page:

"A BBQ wherever you want .... whenever you want" - Calor

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SOme nice returns from a heavy band that formed and heading through Belfast. Right on the edge of the low , plus hitting some higher elevation must have triggered it.

208144.png

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Just under 27mm of rain in Athlone since midnight.
    31.4mm in Athlone now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

83mm of rain here on my davis vantage vue,roll on the summer,ha

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

eastmayo wrote: »
    83mm of rain here on my davis vantage vue,roll on the summer,ha

Beats my 72.9mm yesterday when it was heading west, only 11.7mm today as the Wicklow mountain shield was activated

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

The fleece and laptop are not keeping me warm. Radiators now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

The fleece and laptop are not keeping me warm. Radiators now on...

I don't belieeeve it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A lovely dark pink sky in Castlebar to the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Heating on, feeling cold after walking the dog.
    I've been weather watching for years (I'm even old enough to remember the BIG ONE in 1982) but I still will never understand how winter can be warmer than summer in this country.
    rainfall total: 37mm which coincidentally is the exact same as I recorded last Sat/Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭pauldry

well that seems to be nearly the most of it for Sligo

78mm , maybe 1 or 2mm left.

Only that wev had it dry for the best part of 3 weeks floods would have been a lot worse.

Id say parts of Roscommon had over 80mm in hills from study of radar over the past 2 days.

However Sligo is nearly up there at the top and Finner only got 44mm up to 6pm as Donegal missed some of the heavy pulses of rain we got.

Imagine saying only 44mm of rain.

This wont happen again this Summer in Sligo because it is 5 years since anything near it happened and that was in Summer 2007 as I mentioned in another post so probably 2017.

It was weird coz it lashed all day yesterday and you wait for it to stop after 25 to 30mm as it usually does but there was a kind of washing machine effect with the low vortex spinning around and pummeling us up here in the Northwest and as the winds picked up the rain got more persistant and incessant and "RELENTLESS"

A truly memorable rainfall event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

wFinner only got 44mm up to 6pm as Donegal missed some of the heavy pulses of rain we got.

I often hate that finner and malin represents donegal on a daily weather basis because both are at extremes in the county. Go west of either and there is a lot more rain, which you can see from the rainfall map in Ireland.

1981-2010 average
    AIWzo.jpg

The Gentiles station had rainfall totals in some months in 2011 that almost doubled malin and finners.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/11/your-complete-weather-guide-to-2011/

Non stop rain here all day in s west of the county.

• Advertisement

True about Glenties as I know living in your neighbouring county.

However Sligo, North Mayo and some of Roscommon/Leitrim seem to have got a lot of this rainfall in the past 36 hours. Surrounding areas got lots too but looking t Radar and others reports here I think the West/Northwest excluding Donegal got the brunt.

Granted mountainous areas would have higher totals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

As the last of it fizzles out across the midlands tonight, here are very rough storm totals up to 1 am today (from Ogimet):

Knock 77 mm
    Ballyhaise 71 mm
    Castlebar 69 mm
    Finner 60 mm
    Gurteen 52 mm
    Mullingar 45 mm
    Shannon Airport 43 mm
    Johnstown Castle 42 mm
    Cork Airport 41 mm
    Oak Park 40 mm
    Sherkin Island 37 mm
    Casement 35 mm
    Dublin Airport 34 mm
    Belmullet 29 mm
    Mace Head 21 mm
    Roches Point 21 mm
    Valentia 19 mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pangea wrote: »
    I often hate that finner and malin represents donegal on a daily weather basis because both are at extremes in the county. Go west of either and there is a lot more rain, which you can see from the rainfall map in Ireland.

The same can be said for temperature with both Finner and Malin being coastal stations. Particularly during the winter months they're probably a few degrees milder than the county in general. The UK met station just across the border in Castlederg is probably a better measure for around me in Letterkenny

Anyway, still just about raining here in west Donegal but should be stopping soon, 40 consecutive hours now! The hills and mountains around me were definitely intensifying the rain over the past two days, some heavy spells and a persistent moderate rate throughout. Don't have a rain gauge here but I wouldn't be surprised if the total is above 70mm. Some minor flooding and a mudslide partially blocking a road are the worst effects I've seen though thankfully

Su Campu wrote: »
    As the last of it fizzles out across the midlands tonight, here are very rough storm totals up to 1 am today (from Ogimet):

Knock 77 mm
    Ballyhaise 71 mm
    Castlebar 69 mm
    Finner 60 mm
    Gurteen 52 mm
    Mullingar 45 mm
    Shannon Airport 43 mm
    Johnstown Castle 42 mm
    Cork Airport 41 mm
    Oak Park 40 mm
    Sherkin Island 37 mm
    Casement 35 mm
    Dublin Airport 34 mm
    Belmullet 29 mm
    Mace Head 21 mm
    Roches Point 21 mm
    Valentia 19 mm

Sligo beats Knock

83mm here made up of

Thursday 24mm
    Friday 53mm:eek:
    Saturday 6mm

Its more or less stopped now. But its misty

Harps wrote: »

Anyway, still just about raining here in west Donegal but should be stopping soon, 40 consecutive hours now! The hills and mountains around me were definitely intensifying the rain over the past two days, some heavy spells and a persistent moderate rate throughout.

Yeah same here Harps.
    excluding Donegal got the brunt.
    I have no rainfall gauge so cant give you any measurments, on the radar though sw end of Donegal was pretty much red on the radar throughout the rain. Big total you got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

2 day total at Markee Castle, Co. Sligo was 84.6mm with the 66.3mm at Mt. Dillon, Co. Roscommon being the 2nd highest.

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

Edit: Correction to above. Knock's 71.7mm was 2nd highest while Mt. Dillon's total was the 3rd.

Note to self: get facts straight before posting..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Pangea wrote: »
    Yeah same here Harps.

I have no rainfall gauge so cant give you any measurments, on the radar though sw end of Donegal was pretty much red on the radar throughout the rain. Big total you got there.

Measured 37.2mm here in Ballybofey for the last two days, only 3.0mm today so just a tad over 40mm

Looking like a repeat performance next Thur/Fri according to RTE weather,

talkabout wrote: »
    Measured 37.2mm here in Ballybofey for the last two days, only 3.0mm today so just a tad over 40mm
    Thanks
    I see on Deep Easterlys link Malin head got just 5.9 yesterday and 12.8 the day before.

• Advertisement

2 day total at Markee Castle, Co. Sligo was 84.6mm with the 66.3mm at Mt. Dillon, Co. Roscommon being the 2nd highest.

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

Edit: Correction to above. Knock's 71.7mm was 2nd highest while Mt. Dillon's total was the 3rd.

Note to self: get facts straight before posting..:rolleyes:

Yeah my 83mm was 5 miles from Markree in Sligo town so not bad performance from my Oregon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement