Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

The only danger here is sunburn. Haven't seen rain since this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

km79 wrote: »
    Can you post a link to that EHMI thing :D

I find this to be the most useful page & the animation is excellent. Run your cursor over the time line.

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Over 2 inches in my unscientific jar placed at midnight last night, heavy constant rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bone dry here :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The rain has returned to Cork as the front swings backs eastward, just light for the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Chucking it down in Galway city.
    Been raining all day, the last hour has been the heaviest at 5.6mm/hr on the NUIG rain gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

dloob wrote: »
    Chucking it down in Galway city.
    Been raining all day, the last hour has been the heaviest at 5.6mm/hr on the NUIG rain gauge.
    yes been very heavy here too since 2ish. Last hour been very heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

On paper Thursday looks very wet
    Sometimes though these deep low's tend to move their ppn through quite quickly
    It wouldn't surprise me if we got some sunshine thurs afternoon for example.

Quote from last Tuesday.
    I wasn't too far out either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Since midnight, Shannon has recorded 36.6mm making it the wettest synoptic station today so far with Sherkin Island's 31.6mm being a close 2nd; the two driest stations so far are Belmullet & Malin Head with both recording 4.4mm up to 6pm.

22.1mm locally here today so far.
    Quote from last Tuesday.
    I wasn't too far out either :D

We are not worthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Looks like Galway & my dog walk, will get a break soon. The edge of the rain is moving closer !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Since midnight, Shannon has recorded 36.6mm making it the wettest synoptic station today so far with Sherkin Island's 31.6mm being a close 2nd; the two driest stations so far are Belmullet & Malin Head with both recording 4.4mm up to 6pm.

22.1mm locally here today so far.

We are not worthy...

Met Eireann's 60mm of rain well possible in the more exposed western areas. Definitely has been an event in some areas, and a lot more rain is forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Why do some people feel they have to quote themselves when they get something remotely correct about their own back garden.
    It’s still pouring rain here with plenty of surface water causing disruption, strange that.

Reminds me of “I was wrong once, but even then I couldn’t be too sure.”

Wind and rain on the increase in Cork the last 20 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Any stations in the area of Kerry/Limerick that has been under pink, at time red, echoes for at least 4-5 hours now....surely 50mm plus in parts of Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

29mm of rain so far 2day,43.2mm of rain since 9 yest eve,jess what will i have be4 this clears 2morrow afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

24 hr totals to 7 pm not amazingly high just yet around the country but we're only at half time

1 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 35.0 mm
    2 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 33.0 mm
    3 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 31.0 mm
    4 Claremorris (Ireland) 28.0 mm
    5 Cork Airport (Ireland) 26.0 mm
    6 Gurteen (Ireland) 23.0 mm
    7 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 23.0 mm
    8 Oak Park, Carlow (Ireland) 19.0 mm
    9 Roches Point (Ireland) 16.0 mm
    10 Mace Head (Ireland) 15.6 mm
    11 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 15.0 mm
    12 Ballyhaise, Cavan (Ireland) 14.1 mm
    13 Finner (Ireland) 13.2 mm
    14 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 12.0 mm
    15 Mullingar (Ireland) 8.4 mm
    16 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 8.0 mm
    17 Belmullet (Ireland) 5.7 mm
    18 Malin Head (Ireland) 5.0 mm

I do find it amusing that there are pages and pages of replies here to what? Rain! It's like a winter snow event, with people complaining the lack of rain in their area while others smile from ear to ear that they've got plenty!

It's as if we rarely see the stuff! :)

Su Campu wrote: »
    I do find it amusing that there are pages and pages of replies here to what? Rain! It's like a winter snow event, with people complaining the lack of rain in their area while others smile from ear to ear that they've got plenty!

Tis a weather forum Su, we're all obsessed in some way:pac:

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 00Z shows the occluded front looping around from Coleraine (:D) to the Shannon and down to Wexford, with light, occasionally heavy rain and isolated thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

These threads do get addictive, especially when an event is predicted days in advance, and some of the models were predicting 130mm+ accumulations.

This might not have reached it's potential, but I do love a good extreme weather event. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Tis a weather forum Su, we're all obsessed in some way:pac:

Don't you mean possessed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Well there's not much else happening. Maybe the Euros will drag a few people away from their rain guages. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

25.8mm recorded here in Waterford but none since 12pm today. That should change in the next few hours i would imagine.

Well there's not much else happening. Maybe the Euros will drag a few people away from their rain guages. :D

Yes, let's not have any weather distractions for the next two four weeks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Maybe the Euros will drag a few people away from their rain guages. :D

What does the Euros measure? You do know that Euros is Greek for toilet? Are you trying to say we are around the bend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Definitely having another orographic rain event here!

Total rain today, so far, of 30.4mm, recorded on the Davis VP2. My old LaCrosse station has recorded 32.4mm so far today.

Still raining with a current rain rate of 4.6mm/hr.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Definitely having another orographic rain event here!

Total rain today, so far, of 30.4mm, recorded on the Davis VP2. My old LaCrosse station has recorded 32.4mm so far today.

Still raining with a current rain rate of 4.6mm/hr.

And only 14 mm in the last 24 hours in Dun Laoghaire, so there is definitely something going on in your area alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

And only 14 mm in the last 24 hours in Dun Laoghaire, so there is definitely something going on in your area alright.

Well I am a couple of hundred feet higher than DunLaoghaire, so that might be expected given the NE wind here.

Up to 31.4mm now. Rain rate 12.6mm/hr atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Really bucketing it down here in Dublin 4 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Well I am a couple of hundred feet higher than DunLaoghaire, so that might be expected given the NE wind here.

Up to 31.4mm now. Rain rate 12.6mm/hr atm.

Yep, lashing rain in D16 for the last hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement