Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    meh, i've seen this rain before, was expecting big monster rain to be honest. :(

Same here...Disappointing.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Same here...Disappointing.... :( .

Me, had the waterproof camera batteries charged; had the tank full of diesel: had the sarnies made: had the wife up at 06:00: WHAT???

Went back to bed. Eating sarnies for lunch now, trying to explain to wife ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a nasty looking clump of heavier rain in the middle of the country. But here in Galway it looks, from the radar, that the rain will stop later this afternoon - unless there is more on the way.

WEB_radar2_201206071315.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

John.Icy wrote: »
    Serious rain in South UK atm.

Environment Agency Wales/England river gauges.

There's a delay of a few hours in reporting the data, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Discodog wrote: »
    There is a nasty looking clump of heavier rain in the middle of the country. But here in Galway it looks, from the radar, that the rain will stop later this afternoon - unless there is more on the way.

The rain is going to stall in the next few hours and stay over the west until tomorrow so plenty more on the way yet

Only light drizzle here so far, ground is hardly even wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My Barometer is showing a + 0.1 increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Something to watch over the next 24 hours is The River Dodder. Its a spate river and prown to flash flooding. We all know what happened with this type of sernario last time. Once the front rotataes and stalls over us, it can put down quite alot of rain in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Harps wrote: »
    The rain is going to stall in the next few hours and stay over the west until tomorrow so plenty more on the way yet

Only light drizzle here so far, ground is hardly even wet

Yep,from Met Eireann's radar it looks like its starting to stall and pivot around and thus the rain over Galway will stay for awhile yet.It was relentless for an hour but has eased off a bit now and is nothing spectacular(so far).
    Looks like i can put my Ark building Tool Kit and Instructional Dvd away for another day:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Just got in from doing some business, roads are in a bad way in Kilkenny with spot flooding and the visibility was very poor in the heavy rain.

At 10:30am when I left home 9mm had fallen, home now and the total is upto 23mm and rain has eased a bit to 1.0mm/hr from a peak of 16.8mm/hr at 10:54am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sort of just an ordinary wettish day here in east Galway so far. Low rain rates but drenching enough in the breeze. Not particularly dull either. Looking at the totals around the country so far as well as the radar sequence, I think this has been HIRLAM's call.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I wouldn't discount flooding in Cork city just yet. Much of the heavy rain falling in the south west, while not directly over the city, is still gonna end up in the Lee catchment area, so this evening may still have a significant flooding risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

21 mm so far in the last 24 hours in South Kerry..
    The rain has started to increase in intensity, Will just have to see how long it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think this has been HIRLAM's call.

I agree. EHMI is showing the rotation & the potential stalling over the NW. They are also showing a short clearance that might be long enough to walk the dogs later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

some very heavy stuff moving into the Irish Sea from Wales at the moment - heading NW towards the E coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Discodog wrote: »
    I think this has been HIRLAM's call.

I agree. EHMI is showing the rotation & the potential stalling over the NW. They are also showing a short clearance that might be long enough to walk the dogs later :D
    Can you post a link to that EHMI thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

As Elmer just said, increasing potential for some stuff from Wales to hit the E.Coast. All depends on how the bands move now that we have a front stalling over us, but I do expect some precipitation imports from the UK, though unless a sizeable part of the precip. makes landfall, I don't see much of a problem as there hasn't been a whole lot of rain in the East today. So far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

some very heavy stuff moving into the Irish Sea from Wales at the moment - heading NW towards the E coast.
    And the showers in the Irish sea beefing up as well Elmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

gbee wrote: »
    Me, had the waterproof camera batteries charged; had the tank full of diesel: had the sarnies made: had the wife up at 06:00: WHAT???

Went back to bed. Eating sarnies for lunch now, trying to explain to wife ....

Bummer huh..

I think it's all over now....It's a case of waiting for the wind to brew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Torrential rain for a few hours in Laois (quite a few drops coming down the chimney and making a mess), but has stopped altogether now. Looks like that's more or less it unless another band appears later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm in north Dublin and there's been heavy rain all day here. It died down a bit at lunch but it's back to lashing again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Torrential rain now in North Kerry. I was up at 7am. It was raining then. Non stop since but heavier now. Wind is picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Not too bad near Limerick city. Just outbreaks of light to moderate rain.
    Just got a heavy Burst of rain in the last half hour but it has eased off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Rainshield officially broken.
    Moderate rain for the past few hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

28.0mm so far here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

km79 wrote: »
    Can you post a link to that EHMI thing :D

Forecast charts here KM79:

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416

Rain really pepped up over the last 30 mins or so but easing up again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

dreadfull day here in n kerry,they reckon we will get a months rain in 24 hrs here 2day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A break in the cloud allowed the sun out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Weather Warning
    Issued at 07 June 2012 - 14:15

Severe Weather Warning update

Further periods of very heavy rain in all areas through the rest of Thursday, overnight and for a time tomorrow. Some torrential falls will occur at times in west Munster and much of Connacht with flooding in places. Gale or possibly strong gale force west to northwest winds developing also overnight and tomorrow in southern and western coastal areas.Drier weather in the southwest early tomorrow will extend slowly northeastwards. Valid to 1200hrs Friday

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

redsunset wrote: »
    Weather Warning
    Issued at 07 June 2012 - 14:15

Severe Weather Warning update

Further periods of very heavy rain in all areas through the rest of Thursday, overnight and for a time tomorrow. Some torrential falls will occur at times in west Munster and much of Connacht with flooding in places.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp[/QUOTE]

Not very true of what's happening around the country is it?? The models over-egged the ppn for some strange reason so you cant really blame Met eireann.
    As for this low.....................next!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement