Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

450 job losses announced at Iarnród Éireann

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The CCTV is constantly recording thru the black box .
    And if someone was being assaulted or even harassed I would have no problem with a passenger breaking the glass. But if the broke it to complain about a non working socket I wouldn't be too impressed I can hardly fix it
    People also don't want to put themselves forward as targets for the scrotes by using the intercom or stopping the train in the event of a more serious assault especially when there is no help or support on the train from Irish Rail.

serious assults and anti-social behavious would be rare enough on trains hopefully so the main issues for passengers are small things like sockets not working, passsenger information systems not working, trains and toilets being filthy, reserved seats being occupied, snack trollys being porly stocked on return legs of trips etc etc etc and Irish Rail are offering absolutely nothing to passengers who are inconvenienced by these regular failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Actaully in the real world like where I work the cleaning company have been dispensed with and the staff clean their own area's and the toilets are cleaned/maintained by staff who also have desk duites ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

galait wrote: »
    Actaully in the real world like where I work the cleaning company have been dispensed with and the staff clean their own area's and the toilets are cleaned/maintained by staff who also have desk duites ,

I also work in the "real world" and I've never heard of this happening anywhere else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Unfortunately having used Irish Rail for a good few months a while back, I can agree that there are a few staff I would not mind seeing go who clearly do not care about customers, but most staff I generally don't have a problem with, just the ones who seem to view customers as a big inconvenience and don't really care.

markpb wrote: »
    I also work in the "real world" and I've never heard of this happening anywhere else.

Agree. Comes across as obvious trolling. I'm no fan of Irish Rail but some of the posting in this thread is way over the top.

• Advertisement

OK everytime a Toilet is blocked a contractor is called in and issues an invoice for €500/600 , Fact

How would any proper business survive with such costs while staff can be idle and read the newspaper !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

OK everytime a Toilet is blocked a contractor is called in and issues an invoice for €500/600 , Fact

How would any proper business survive with such costs while staff can be idle and read the newspaper !

I'd be less than certain of the term "Fact" here.

Whilst I'm not certain of the IE sub-contracting arrangements I do know that the standard sub-contracts in other area's of the CIE group are somewhat more rigorous.

For example on-site facilities maintenance contracts would be to a pre-agreed format,with provision made for emergency responses WITHIN the overall framework of the Contract Document.

In all of the cases I'm aware of,the accepted tender is for a specified timeframe and payments are made on an annual basis,rather than on a specific itemized basis.

Perhaps Galait is confusing an emergency call out to a Plumber or Service Person outside of the Facilities Maintenance contract itself ..?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Any supporting evidence for this Fact?

I can't believe for one second there is such a charge, if there is, for sure it is outrageous waste of money, but I'd say the chance of it being true are less than 1%!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He saw in on a Boards.ie thread :)

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    The problem seems to be that the reserved notices are well, quite un-noticeable. Yet IR insist in offering the reservation regardless.

Why do they have it at all? It seems quite useless. So I can only assume it's an attempt to make a quick buck.
    Why don't the ticket checkers ever mention it when checking the tickets?
    I've never seen an ticket inspector remark on it either for that matter.

It's just another thing that illustrates the inefficiency of the operation.

This makes no sense. Reserving tickets online is cheaper than buying them at the station in most cases.

I know someone who provides professional services to the contractor and a member of the office was actually laughing when a call came in from the station when mentioning the amount they get from each call out ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I know someone who provides professional services to the contractor and a member of the office was actually laughing when a call came in from the station when mentioning the amount they get from each call out ,

Not to burst your bubble, man but you're the fifth person in that Chinese whisper ;)

Not to burst your bubble, man but you're the fifth person in that Chinese whisper ;)

I am not going to name names but it's a fact and I know the company directors and they readily admit to these charges , Irish Rail are in trouble because of such waste , I have work to do so that is my last word :)

BTW Also Keep your silly childish "Chinese Whisper" "Read it on Boards" comments to yourself ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Sorry, i'm a station operative and you're just making stuff up at this stage.

We don't ring a contractor for a blocked toilet - we just unblock it. We will ring them for a broken toilet because plumbing is outside of our area of expertise.

I am not going to name names but it's a fact and I know the company directors and they readily admit to these charges , Irish Rail are in trouble because of such waste , I have work to do so that is my last word :)

BTW Also Keep your silly childish "Chinese Whisper" "Read it on Boards" comments to yourself ,

Yeah, sure you know the directors. You have lunch with Dick Fearn every day and he is constantly spilling his guts to you in between begging you for sagely advice.

In other news, you own a solid gold house and your Da could beat up all of our Da's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

This topic is spiraling of topic.

Its more like an Irish Rail witch hunt.

From what I see is. We have an excellent modern rail network that has been designed around a working population commuting and going away for a nice break. (it is by far the most comfortable way to travel around Ireland).

Right. Cuts have to be made. Less people, less money = less IR staff .

How did we end up with a blocked toilet and complaining about service.

I work with a few A Holes, but i would not take any pleasure in seeing them made redundant.
    Its seems a few on here like to see peoples life's turned upside down. :(

gsxr1 wrote: »
    This topic is spiraling of topic.

Its more like an Irish Rail witch hunt.

From what I see is. We have an excellent modern rail network that has been designed around a working population commuting and going away for a nice break. (it is by far the most comfortable way to travel around Ireland).

Right. Cuts have to be made. Less people, less money = less IR staff .

How did we end up with a blocked toilet and complaining about service.

I work with a few A Holes, but i would not take any pleasure in seeing them made redundant.
    Its seems a few on here like to see peoples life's turned upside down. :(

Because every single IE thread in this forum descends into this nonsense.

Maybe 25% of the people on here are actually interested in a decent discussion of commercial rail travel in Ireland and how it can be improved (i'm including people from both sides of the divide - Pro and anti IE). The rest are the same tired auld heads with the same tired gripes shoehorned into every single thread.

Yeah, sure you know the directors. You have lunch with Dick Fearn every day and he is constantly spilling his guts to you in between begging you for sagely advice.

In other news, you own a solid gold house and your Da could beat up all of our Da's.

Who the **** is Dick Fearn , And yes my Da would rip all other Da's a new one !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Yore ma maybe! :D

• Advertisement

bazza1 wrote: »
    Yore ma maybe! :D
    Not Funny , You can't take the fact that I speak the truth so you resort to groundless insults :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Not Funny , You can't take the fact that I speak the truth so you resort to groundless insults :rolleyes:

I apologise. Your innate knowledge of the inner workings of IE obviously trumps my 29 years experience in the company, doing nothing, waiting for vast amounts of cash to pay for my many homes and lavish lifestyle. Hmm...I must get outsource my laziness. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It's an unpleasant job right enough but it goes with the territory. The day is rapidly approaching when the only activity of IE staff that won't subcontacted will be opening their pay cheques.

Do they get pay cheques?

The thread says that Irish Rail are shedding 450 jobs and all you are concerned about is who cleans the toilet???

Spoof alert ;)

I spilled my tea laughing at the thanks Foggy gives to these posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I spilled my tea laughing at the thanks Foggy gives to these posts ;)
    Can we keep it constructive / on-topic?
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The thread says that Irish Rail are shedding 450 jobs and all you are concerned about is who cleans the toilet???

I was in Cork Station yesterday evening and the toilets hadn't been cleaned since the previous night, so it can be important.

is it more important than people loosing their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Who the **** is Dick Fearn

Dick Fearn is the CEO of Irish Rail. He does not have an Irish Accent as he is originally from the UK.

Here is a photo of him on the right hand side with Former President Mary McAleese.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/images/news/5408_visit.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

He does not have an Irish Accent as he is originally from the UK.
    your point?

Advertisement