Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

450 job losses announced at Iarnród Éireann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I find it baffling in these hard times that some people get satisfaction of people loosing their jobs.

Only a bitter few actually want people to be made redundant. Most people would prefer their taxes to be spent efficiently, hiring civil and public servants were it makes sense to and not just to keep people in jobs.

If Irish Rail can provide the same level of service with less staff, it makes sense to do so. Continuing to keep them in employment, running a loss and then asking the government for a very expensive subsidy is not a sane way to run a business or country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I wouldn't want anyone to lose their job but if they are truely redundant, they should be moved to other areas, revenue protectioon springs to mind or market development. If theres no work for them , they should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the 002 operates every hour between 7am and 9pm then at 11pm 3am and 5am. Compare that to 4 trains a day and see how vital people think this deadweight service is to the country!

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1300287394-2.pdf

The railway line is slow and just too expensive to keep open and operating when the passenger numbers are not high enough to pay for the staff and stations on the line.
    How fortunate Bus Eireann are that they have never been obliged to justify the disruption and expense of shoving the N/M11 through one of the most scenic areas of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Compare that to 4 trains a day and see how vital people think this deadweight service is to the country!
    its not our fault the service isn't good enough its IE's fault they want to drive everyone away.
    The railway line is slow and just too expensive to keep open and operating when the passenger numbers are not high enough to pay for the staff and stations on the line.

same could have been said for sligo at one stage, look how its fortunes turned around. this line will not be allowed to close, were not that stupid this time. if the fair well special comes round i'l be out with that banner.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I find it baffling in these hard times that some people get satisfaction of people loosing their jobs.

Do you deal with Irish Rail staff on a daily basis ?? I've honestly left stuff in the toilet thats more useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Do you deal with Irish Rail staff on a daily basis ?? I've honestly left stuff in the toilet thats more useful.

Sounds like you left the best part of yourself in the toilet!

bazza1 wrote: »

What a comeback:rolleyes:

Having spent over 15,000 with Irish Rail via my commuting i feel i'm well placed to say at least 85 to 90% of the time the staff are unwilling to help, have any basic knowledge the timetables and the only thing they excel at is shoulder shrugging when asked a question.

What a comeback

Having spent over 15,000 with Irish Rail via my commuting i feel i'm well placed to say at least 85 to 90% of the time the staff are unwilling to help, have any basic knowledge the timetables and the only thing they excel at is shoulder shrugging when asked a question.
    maybe the management have a list of things they can and can't reply to, or can and can't say, or can and can't do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Having spent 40+ years travelling on Irish railways, and with little time for the organisation that is CIE, I find your remarks offensive as well completely over the top. As in all large organisations (public or private) there is a small percentage of wasters but to tar all the staff with the same brush the way you have is plainly nonsense.

Having spent 40+ years travelling on Irish railways, and with little time for the organisation that is CIE, I find your remarks offensive as well completely over the top. As in all large organisations (public or private) there is a small percentage of wasters but to tar all the staff with the same brush the way you have is plainly nonsense.

I'm offended by the price i pay for the service and the service that i get for that money.

• Advertisement

maybe the management have a list of things they can and can't reply to, or can and can't say, or can and can't do?

Sorry, why is this train late ?

Why are we stopped for 20 min with no information announced ?

Why is this train so late in boarding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thats fine, but if thats the case why keep it open? look i'm not suggesting it should be closed but if the locals are going to graystones then whats the point of it being open at all? how come only some trains stop and others don't? obviously people are using it which is the reason its still open.

Commuter trains stop there, Intercities do not. The distinction between Commuter and InterCity is a bit vague on the Rosslare line though. Kilcoole used to only have one train a day in each direction IIRC.

As you point out there was a station at Newcastle (which actually had a building) which was closed, I don't know how Kilcoole survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I'm offended by the price i pay for the service and the service that i get for that money.

May I ask how many years commuting you have benefited from, for you 15k?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

loyatemu wrote: »
    As you point out there was a station at Newcastle (which actually had a building) which was closed, I don't know how Kilcoole survived.

It didn't; it was closed but it reopened in 1980.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Commuter trains stop there, Intercities do not. The distinction between Commuter and InterCity is a bit vague on the Rosslare line though. Kilcoole used to only have one train a day in each direction IIRC.

As you point out there was a station at Newcastle (which actually had a building) which was closed, I don't know how Kilcoole survived.[/QUOTE]

i didn't mention newcastle per se. i actually meant all the closed stations along the line, so i would have included it (if you get my drift) but thanks for answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's not really when those losing their jobs are perceived to be less than hard working, or are perceived to be standing in the way of progress.

Not everyone deserves the job they're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's not really when those losing their jobs are perceived to be less than hard working, or are perceived to be standing in the way of progress.

Ah yeah, the good old perception of state or semi state staff being underworked ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

One thing I read or heard from the reports about these job cuts and cutting back at Irish rail was that staff had an uncertified sick leave entitlement of 7 days per year, that is 7 days they can ring up sick without having to go to the doctor and get a note to prove they are sick. Most other jobs even in the civil service and HSE have at most 5 uncertified days per year.there are possibilities to cut back on certain salaries without the need for as many job losses but the unions of those doing the bulk of the overtime and getting the bulk of the perks would never allow their members to take a hit like that so others must be sacrificed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I thought 12 was the standard per legislation but no more than 2 in a row without a doctors cert, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You have spent 15,000 what?

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You have spent 15,000 what?

Euro...........did you think it was magic beans :confused:

n97 mini wrote: »

Can you tell me how you came up with that ? or are you just making it up for effect?

Euro...........did you think it was magic beans :confused:

15,000 euro? I think i would have believed the magic beans quicker.

One thing I read or heard from the reports about these job cuts and cutting back at Irish rail was that staff had an uncertified sick leave entitlement of 7 days per year, that is 7 days they can ring up sick without having to go to the doctor and get a note to prove they are sick. Most other jobs even in the civil service and HSE have at most 5 uncertified days per year.there are possibilities to cut back on certain salaries without the need for as many job losses but the unions of those doing the bulk of the overtime and getting the bulk of the perks would never allow their members to take a hit like that so others must be sacrificed!

What are you saying here Foggy? Take what hit?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    15,000 euro? I think i would have believed the magic beans quicker.

Really look at the price of an annual ticket from Laois to Heuston and then multiply it by 7.

Tell me how much that is in magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,248 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No need to be insulting
    bazza1 wrote: »
    Play nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No Foggy Lad having a mouth on you and asking the person in your pre-booked seat to vacate it is a way to guarantee your seat.

Would that it were so easy. I tried this on a Galway train once. A couple were sitting in our reserved group of four seats. The woman just stared out the window and refused to acknowledge me completely, I eventually got a response from the "gentleman" which was something along the lines of:

Me: "Excuse me I think you're in our seats"
    Arsehole: "Who says it's your seat?"
    Me: "It's written on my ticket"
    Arsehole: "CIE don't give a f*ck"
    Me: "Well I do, I've reserved these seats, it's written on my ticket"
    Arsehole: "You're wasting your time, they don't give a f*ck"
    Me: "Are you going to move?"
    Arsehole: "They couldn't give a f*ck, I don't give a f*ck....."

Eventually my girlfriend and her two friends were so mortified they just moved to the next carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Victor wrote: »
    No need to be insulting

Play nice

Sorry Victor. As I am an IE employee I took grave exception to the remark. I withdraw my remark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Really look at the price of an annual ticket from Laois to Heuston and then multiply it by 7.

So you got 7 full years commuting (in comfort) for your 15k.

You are getting to Laois to Dublin and back each day for well under a tenner at todays annual ticket price, not one bought at 7 years ago prices.

And you think you are being screwed?

:confused:

Advertisement